SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:49 AM
Denham Springs, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2009
157 Posts
How much is shipping from Hobby City? I like this plane.
Flying Chicken is offline Find More Posts by Flying Chicken
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:17 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamradioflyer View Post
I recently lost my CF watching it burst into flames . Just before I heard a loud noise that may have been the motor seizing. The plane was up 300 ft or so at the time and I wasn't sure the sound actually came from the plane, environment was noise with nearby traffic. I liked the plane so much that I have ordered an ARF. This new ARF will have the same motor. Have there been problems with that motor? I found the burning battery but have been unable to find the plane to verify motor seizure
My question is should I replace the motor with a different one. Or If I choose to use the stock motor, should I inspect it and re-glue the magnets ??? What glue for the magnets and will re-gluing effect the balance? I do not want to see another plane in flames.
I plan to use a 25A esc and better servos
The usual i've witnessed and looked into on other planes is that one or more of the magnets displaced and ground into the backplate causing the ESC to go into meltdown and catch fire ,the ESC board turns to charcoal and the resulting crash can set the pack off smoking ,one large model it was handy to have a can of coke to put out the blaze and save the plane.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:12 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Chicken View Post
How much is shipping from Hobby City? I like this plane.
Depends on where you live, it's usually anywhere from 30$ to 50$
tehblizz is offline Find More Posts by tehblizz
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:21 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
The usual i've witnessed and looked into on other planes is that one or more of the magnets displaced and ground into the backplate causing the ESC to go into meltdown and catch fire ,the ESC board turns to charcoal and the resulting crash can set the pack off smoking ,one large model it was handy to have a can of coke to put out the blaze and save the plane.
I've overloaded a motor in a flat foamy in hover - the motor smoked, then the esc burned out, and the battery puffed. Magnets stayed put - I'm salvaging them for other uses.
Not sayin that's what happened to hamradioflyer, but it's possible. Seems the stock setup is borderline
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
nr Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Joined Nov 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
this is my favorite prop collet: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&spec_id=206

I know its 3.17mm, but I've used it on 3.0mm shafts and its gripped fine, I've tried all of hobbykings collet adaptors and they are either really heavy, poorly balanced and the washers have an I.D much wider than the threaded shaft! this collet is the lightest ive ever used too, around 3-4g
Thanks for this, I'll give the Hobby King ones a miss then.

RCTimer are selling this for $1 and if I'm right the postage is $2. I'll see what else they have that I need.
Dunkelmann is offline Find More Posts by Dunkelmann
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:01 AM
Madisonville, Ky, USA
Joined Nov 2009
63 Posts
Cf arf

I ordered a CF ARF ( no servos or esc ) for $85 shipped. I did not want the cheap servos and esc that burned my last CF. I may replace the motor also.
Once burned ( literally ) twice shy. I know you can get a CF RTF from HC but their shipping is almost $50 to my door. I will not be buying any Chinese ARF's
unless I strip them of electronics and replace with a known brand. Anybody know of a good replacement motor for the CG ?
hamradioflyer is offline Find More Posts by hamradioflyer
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:20 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Most components are made in China nowadays, even the name brand ones...

Quote:
I ordered a CF ARF ( no servos or esc ) for $85 shipped. I did not want the cheap servos and esc that burned my last CF. I may replace the motor also.
Once burned ( literally ) twice shy. I know you can get a CF RTF from HC but their shipping is almost $50 to my door. I will not be buying any Chinese ARF's
unless I strip them of electronics and replace with a known brand. Anybody know of a good replacement motor for the CG ?
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Mar 22, 2010, 03:16 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelmann View Post
Thanks for this, I'll give the Hobby King ones a miss then.

RCTimer are selling this for $1 and if I'm right the postage is $2. I'll see what else they have that I need.
Oh, another trick to help the collet grip is to rough the shaft up with something abrasive, just so its a little less shiny.

I've just ordered a stack of bits from RCtimer, everything is so cheap there. Picked up another 2212-6 and a 2826-6, it'll be interesting to see if their QC has picked up at all.
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old Mar 22, 2010, 03:26 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
We're spoiled for choice there really. Either of the two RCtimer motors in my previous post will turn it into a rocket with a 6x5e. You can get basically the same motor from Grayson hobby for a few bucks more. Need 30A ECU and 2200mah 3s lipo to balance.

Grayson also have the MicroJet, which performs almost as well but weighs much less at 34g. 20A esc and ~1800mah lipo

If you prefer less noise, then a Towerpro 2409-12 with a 7x6e works pretty nice. Fairly efficient too. 25A esc and also 2200mah lipo.

Turnigy Plush ESC and HXT900 servo's should keep her from burning up again
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:55 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Here's my setup, see my previous post for details

Clouds Fly AP trim (3 min 0 sec)
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:13 PM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Here's my setup, see my previous post for details

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2paSvLkMbQg
nice one. Can you explain me what you did and you can take off from grass??? Mine is not sliding at all, only Hand lunch take off i can do.
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:20 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
nice one. Can you explain me what you did and you can take off from grass??? Mine is not sliding at all, only Hand lunch take off i can do.
The rudder wiggle seems to help get it moving. Mine is not stock, 6x6 prop, somewhere around 16000rpm
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:08 PM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
wow your plane has a lot of power!!! that's why it can slide like that,
thanks for your respond!!
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
wow your plane has a lot of power!!! that's why it can slide like that,
thanks for your respond!!
Use a 2409-12t and 7x4SF prop from HK and you can take a rock with you.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:35 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
This wed I will get a video of my clouds fly. I think you will be impressed... very impressed.
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado