HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:37 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xufos View Post
Finished paint my CF with red color. Now I can fly without worrying loosing her in the cloudy sky.

The bottom part of the fuselage is actually red tape. Helps protect the foam when landing.
Hey nice paint job xufos. Only suggestion I would have - make the top and bottom different so you can tell when it's inverted.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:38 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
Buyer Beware!!
This is a clone of the Hawk Sky that Dave Powers raves about BUT it has a brushed inrunner motor. Note the suggested upgrade to a Brushless motor for an additional $30. One would hope that includes a brushless ESC!
The Tx is also a clone - not saying it's bad but still not as good as a true SpeKtrum.
Since they are not available, it is sort of a moot point. But, if they ever do come available, I will buy one (ARF I hope - but, I am sure that is a fantasy). Also, their reputation is in the toilet. They are the absolute worst place to do business with on the entire web. There is nobody that is even close to how awful they are. The ONLY 2 reasons I would buy this plane from them is that they have an exclusive on it and I am OK with possibly throwing my money away on the chance I might actually get one. I would NEVER buy anything else from them. Put "Banana Hobby" in the search for RCG and you will see what I mean.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 21, 2010, 02:44 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xufos View Post
Finished paint my CF with red color. Now I can fly without worrying loosing her in the cloudy sky.

The bottom part of the fuselage is actually red tape. Helps protect the foam when landing.
pghern is right on. I totally agree with his suggestion. At least, pull the tape off the bottom so it is all white. It really helps to have a totally different color on the bottom. I suggest that you use black tape or even better - some Krylon Fusion Neon (whatever color you like on the bottom).
AJ
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:58 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
altough I'd still recommend getting servos and batt. from HK and the motor+ESC from RCTimer.
dont recommend motor+ESC from RCTimer !!......see posts about it in this thread !!!
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:17 AM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
A bit of bad luck there - but also it looks the lesson you learned on the sim were not put into practiced with the real plane.

I know this because I have done something similar
You need to get the plane FLYING before you start turning or climbing.

Good luck with the repairs.
thx, unfortunately it isn't worth to repair it, damage is great.
I bought a new cessna 182 from HK and hope that my skills improved so i can fly this thing.
and this crashed plane i'll just keep the spare parts, like screws, ESC battery etc. Because all the other spare parts are dead!!!

BTW Xufos NICE PLANE!!!
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:20 AM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
Your second plane is the AXN Floater Jet, correct? And you have flown it twice.
If you can fly the Floater Jet twice successfully all you need is practice.The FJ is tough and possibly easier to fly than the Cessna. Keep flying.
Yeah my 2nd plane is Fj and i had 2 succesful flights and after the ESC failed. I'll keep practising a bit with the FJ.
I want at least 20 flights before geting started with my new Cessna.
sorry double post guys
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:26 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Gyro.

Quote:
What happens if you use the rudder? By design, it's going to roll the plane as well as yaw. Does the gyro then try to correct this? I.E. does it neutralize the roll?
You are probably right about neutralizing roll with a gyro on the ailerons. My experience with both the CF and EZG Pro are that the rudders are not terribly effective in the first place. I believe you can fly either plane well without any rudder at all. I used to mix rudder with ailerons but the rudder mixed in was only about 15% or so. I generally turn with ailerons and follow up with rudder on these planes. On my TM 400 I use both in nearly equal doses.

If we ever get a calm day I will turn off the gyro and pay more attention to the yaw/roll induced with no gyro vs. with gyro. Because of the nearly constant wind here nearly anything that adds stability is welcome, IMHO.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:39 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
CF from LowPriceRc

Does the CF available from LowPriceRc ($39.95) come with the fuselage assembled or does the purchaser have to glue it together? What about the wings?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:11 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,380 Posts
Maidened mine today with this motor http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...runner__1534kv
Used a 3 blade 8x6 prop cut back to 6x6 and balanced, 25amp esc, 2200ma lipo up front (no canopy), Y harness for ailerons
Easy and stable to fly, I'll use it for AP. Ailerons are very mild, rudder is pretty aggressive, but can't imagine why a gyro might be useful, but that's with this setup.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
guys today i will finish my plane's painting.
Tommorow you will see some pics
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:17 PM
Madisonville, Ky, USA
Joined Nov 2009
63 Posts
motor on CF

I recently lost my CF watching it burst into flames . Just before I heard a loud noise that may have been the motor seizing. The plane was up 300 ft or so at the time and I wasn't sure the sound actually came from the plane, environment was noise with nearby traffic. I liked the plane so much that I have ordered an ARF. This new ARF will have the same motor. Have there been problems with that motor? I found the burning battery but have been unable to find the plane to verify motor seizure
My question is should I replace the motor with a different one. Or If I choose to use the stock motor, should I inspect it and re-glue the magnets ??? What glue for the magnets and will re-gluing effect the balance? I do not want to see another plane in flames.
I plan to use a 25A esc and better servos
hamradioflyer is offline Find More Posts by hamradioflyer
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:46 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Feb 2010
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamradioflyer View Post
I recently lost my CF watching it burst into flames . Just before I heard a loud noise that may have been the motor seizing. The plane was up 300 ft or so at the time and I wasn't sure the sound actually came from the plane, environment was noise with nearby traffic. I liked the plane so much that I have ordered an ARF. This new ARF will have the same motor. Have there been problems with that motor? I found the burning battery but have been unable to find the plane to verify motor seizure
My question is should I replace the motor with a different one. Or If I choose to use the stock motor, should I inspect it and re-glue the magnets ??? What glue for the magnets and will re-gluing effect the balance? I do not want to see another plane in flames.
I don't know that the motor seizing would cause a battery to explode. Could one of the controls rods have punctured the battery? I guess you could re-glue the motor magnets but mine were glued in there pretty good, I would have damaged them trying to pry them out to re-glue them.
tankd0g is offline Find More Posts by tankd0g
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:53 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
CF replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamradioflyer View Post
SUMMARY: Get your motor ducks in a row first.

1. If I had a new CF in my hands right now the first thing I would do is:
A. Examine the motor magnets by gently probing them and check if any are loose. If any are loose I would either re-glue them or ditch the motor right off the bat. I really don't know what glue to use to re-glue the magnets.
B. If the motor is o.k. I believe I would invest in a collet type prop adapter and ditch that propsaver rubber band unit. I have no faith in the prop attachent my CF came with. ajbaker may have a fix for both the magnet problem and the prop saver. Read his latest posts.

If you get a good motor, you have a great plane. If your motor is not so good you have decisions to make.

2. Check that the black plastic CF motor mount is securely glued to the pylon. Mine came loose after 25 or so fllights. Luckily I caught this defect before flying it again.

3. Where did you order your new ARF? I am thinking about a spare CF.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:33 PM
KJ4WFE - FPV gonnabe...
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Feb 2009
151 Posts
FYI - stay tuned - not knowing any better I had to make some field repairs this weekend:

1. My magnets finally came loose too. ~40 flights - ~2 magnets got loose. I had think CA on had, so thats what I used to glue them back in. Lets see how that works.

2. In tearing out my motor I pulled my black plastic motor mount from the pod - at the time i thought it would be easier to rerun the wires. To reglue the black plastic motor mount to the pod I simply used hot glue. Sure seems strong - but again I only have 2 flights.

also...

I was unaware the CF could be had anywhere else other than HobbyKing. I'm curious myself to know what the difference is between the 2 different versions being offered at lowpricerc.com:

http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=749

and

http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=750

The second and more expensive one looks like what you get from HobbyKing. The description on the lessor expensive one clearly says you need an ESC. I wonder about the motor too? Has anywhere here ordered a CF from lowpricerc before?
heavyj is offline Find More Posts by heavyj
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyj View Post
FYI - stay tuned - not knowing any better I had to make some field repairs this weekend:

1. My magnets finally came loose too. ~40 flights - ~2 magnets got loose. I had think CA on had, so thats what I used to glue them back in. Lets see how that works.

2. In tearing out my motor I pulled my black plastic motor mount from the pod - at the time i thought it would be easier to rerun the wires. To reglue the black plastic motor mount to the pod I simply used hot glue. Sure seems strong - but again I only have 2 flights.

also...

I was unaware the CF could be had anywhere else other than HobbyKing. I'm curious myself to know what the difference is between the 2 different versions being offered at lowpricerc.com:

http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=749

and

http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=750

The second and more expensive one looks like what you get from HobbyKing. The description on the lessor expensive one clearly says you need an ESC. I wonder about the motor too? Has anywhere here ordered a CF from lowpricerc before?
Basically, for $15, you are getting an ESC and 4 9g servos. If you don't already have those parts, then you want the higher priced one.
AJ