SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:52 AM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
I need help with flaps set up

I have DXi-6 that has a flaps setting. since the AXN has separate wing servos for each of it's Ailerons, I am trying to figure out how to use it.
In general how do you use the flap setting?

Do you set the flaps low for take off and landing? do you have to compensate with up elevator? this seems to be what the DXi manual implies
A knowelgable comment would be appreciate.

Don
donaldrtaylor is offline Find More Posts by donaldrtaylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:57 AM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
574 Posts
Got a question.... What batteries do you guys recommend from Hobby-City?
Also looking at getting this charger since we dont have one at the moment..
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6789

Anything else to throw in the basket?
powerstroke01 is online now Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Brian

My LEDs come in a bag and require soldering. Purchased on E-Bay you can't beat the price. You will have to do your homework to determine what resistors you need though.

Tommy D
Can I ask what you paid? Some people use superbrightleds.com, but they're $.50 to $1 each there.
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Mar 13, 2009, 03:48 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
Has anyone found what the ESC is set for with the startup code of 3 beeps then one beep?
What brand is the ESC? It seems like it is an OEMRC or a Turnigy?

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 13, 2009, 03:51 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Charger for AXN or whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke01
Got a question.... What batteries do you guys recommend from Hobby-City?
Also looking at getting this charger since we dont have one at the moment..
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6789

Anything else to throw in the basket?
I recommend this one.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:29 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
994 Posts
AJ,
This is the ESC that comes with the plane and is wired up to the motor. It is in yellow heatshrink covering without any markings. It is about the normal size of a 30A ESC but the wires are a little smaller guage than I think they should be.

Don,
I'll get back in about a week after I figure out how to get the DX7 programed to have up elevator added as the throttle is increased. This is basically similar but you will link the elevator to the master flap control. I see there is a definite nose down pitch on take-off in the videos. After tests and adjustments, I plan to make this a video camera plane and will have to replace the DX7 with a standard FM radio because the Spectrum and camera transmitter are both on 2.4 ghz and breaksup the image.
You will need separate aileron extentions to the RX instead of using the Y adapter that comes with the plane.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:16 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
HC's price dropped to $59.99.
Pay attention Brian....... HC's price hasn't dropped at all..... It's been $59 since the start of this thread. It's their shipping that the killer.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
FozzyTheBear is offline Find More Posts by FozzyTheBear
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
Can I ask what you paid? Some people use superbrightleds.com, but they're $.50 to $1 each there.
Brian

I would have to go back into my flea-bay account but I normally buy the 5mm LEDs w/resistors per 100. Prices range from $9 to $16 bucks.

I used 5mm ones on the wing, but looking back perhaps should have opted for 3mm. The lamps and mag wire do add some weight and I am not looking forward to flying a brick!

As is it looks like Ill need a 2250 3S to get this turkey to balance.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
I have used CA and canopy glue to try and get the washer to stick to the plastic canopy without success. Next, we try Gorilla Glue!
Shoe goo or "Goop" works well to attach magnets to elapor type foam. Perhaps it would also work well on the Canopy.

Speaking of I think Ill try my hand at making my own clear canopy.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:01 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Floater Jet canopy latch.

I tried a field repair of the canopy washer using Gorilla glue and the stuff never set. It remained a goo. The enclosed tube of "mystery" glue did not work. Epoxy didn't work well either. I finally went back to CA after lightly sanding the canopy-washer intersection and the washer. So far, the CA is holding. From now on the field repair for the canopy will be a piece or two of clear packing tape.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:06 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Floater Jet canopy latch 2

Oh, yea. I tried the GWS contact cement and it failed to fix the problem. I did not rough up the canopy surface.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:30 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Would really short wood screws with some glue applied to threads and screwed into the foam work? Or drill a few holes and fill with epoxy. Drill then use some screws. Grind down the head with a dremel to make it flat. Just throwing out some ideas.

BTW gorilla glue seems to take a day to dry completely.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Mar 14, 2009, 02:33 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
For the washer/canopy joint I wonder if one of these might work:
1. Tile/ceramic glue.
2. Some variant of silicone glue.
3. Some form of tape, perhaps double sided, that will stick to the plastic and act as a different base on which to attach the washer. This may be trading one problem for another.
4. Hot glue. Next on my list.
5. Heating the washer, by soldering iron perhaps, and sticking it to the canopy with no glue?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
1. Tile/ceramic glue. IDK Never used the stuff
2. Some variant of silicone glue. Maybe silicon tub sealer
3. Some form of tape, perhaps double sided, that will stick to the plastic and act as a different base on which to attach the washer. This may be trading one problem for another. If duct tape sticks to it well you could put a small piece on the area and CA the washer to the glue.
4. Hot glue. Next on my list. I wouldn't even waste time on this, hot glue usually comes off over time, Temp changes can affect its adhesion.
5. Heating the washer, by soldering iron perhaps, and sticking it to the canopy Foam usually runs away from heat, in other words there is a lot of shrinkage as you release the air bubbles in the foam. I personally would not do this, never worked with this type of foam so just speculating from other experiences.

How about contact Cement. Place some on both surfaces let it dry slightly then press together.
Well good luck. Interesting to see what solution works. I am contemplating this purchase over a Easy Star.
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:39 PM
Romford, UK
Joined Jun 2004
159 Posts
Chirst, what a load of crap over many pages in this thread. Too much bickering makes for terrible reading and generally a waste of time for people that want to learn and get feedback.

This looks like a nice bird but what concerns me is there are no spare parts; such as a wing. If for some reason I end up cutting up the wing badly it will be a throw away job of the whole plane! Ok it is $60 but plus shipping we are talking $108.. suddenly (as always) hobbycity doesn't seem so cheap at 70. How well can the wings stand up to abuse?
Trancer is offline Find More Posts by Trancer