Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:37 PM
Joined Jul 2007
229 Posts
For anyone curious about the OKhobby props that appear identical to the EMP props, they aren't the same. Off a fresh battery, the supplied EMP 5x5 prop resulted in 18 amps at 19,000 RPM, while the OKhobby 5x5 came in at 16 amps and 19,500 RPM.

Regards prop adapters, I just tried a 2 grub screw 3x5mm adapter and it worked just fine - no vibration. It was a perfect fit on the shaft which is probably why it worked even though it is a grub screw type.

A friend just tried the Hobby Lobby 3x5mm ultralight collet adapter and it also worked well - no vibration.

Both of these adapters only moved the prop back 5-6mm, so providing the adapter is well made, I don't think there is a wobble exacerbation problem by extending the prop back this short distance.

The other good news is the only adapter ring supplied with the EMP props that measures what it is supposed to, is the 5mm ID one - which eliminates any reaming.
rperego is offline Find More Posts by rperego
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:26 PM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
I fly all stock and a 3S 2200Mah lipo.....even with about 20gram lead in the nose
wow that's really weird...
I thought that maybe your battery setup was about 1300mah or 1500mah or something like that and with this setup the plane is tail heavy and that could be your problem.
But with the 2200mah it's really strange that when you release the throttle the plane goes up.
Maybe a triming problem? You can shorten the push rods (from the servo side if you open your canopy) To center all servos and make it to get less lift.
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:39 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
AJ - I understand your idea - the spigot on the prop saver is 5.5mm diameter.
However, I have measured 3 different props that I have including the original 5 x 5 and 2 different brands of 6 x 4 and they all have a 6.0mm hole in the front end as stock.
Therefore I'm a bit lost as to your suggestion of drilling 5.5mm?
Perhaps you have a prop with a smaller hole??
TGS 5x5E is what I used. My other ones (from RCTimer) have a 6mm hole like yours, too. But, I think the 6mm would work fine too even though it is 1/2mm too big.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:25 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Feb 2010
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
But is that the new 6x4e or old 6x4e?
Beats me. I just received my RCTimer order and the 6x4E from them is identical to the one from HK. I can't see a lot of difference with the 6x5E either but I'm going to try that on the plane tomorrow before I switch out the motor. I also received my 808 keys camera so I'll probably give that a try too. Looks like one of my lipos has taken a dump on me while it sat for 3 weeks because one cell is down to 1.6v, I have it outside right now trying to charge the one cell through the balance plug, if it blows up I still have one good one to fly tomorrow.
tankd0g is offline Find More Posts by tankd0g
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:52 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Ninetysix - I put this motor on my plane and its incredible... http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-585.html

I have unlmited verticle on a 3s 6x5 apc prop. If I remember correctly it draws 32 amps and produces 385 watts of power.

I wonder if I could prop it down to say the stock 5x5 and put a 4 cell on it. My plane already moves, I couldnt imagine 500 + watts...
Nice, but surely thats overkill on a powered glider? you should try a 6x5 TGS prop with that was it hard to get the CoG right with that motor? I tried a Turnigy 3530-1700kv of about the same weight and my zippy 2200 just wasn't heavy enough.

Both the 2212-06 and the 2409-12 have unlimited vertical, just the towerpro needs a little rudder here and there to keep it pointed up.
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:01 AM
Web programmer
Bogor, Indonesia
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Got a little confident today Fly quite high and far. Almost can't see the plane.

Screen grab from video camera facing down:

That's the nearest flying field from my house, 65x45 meters (213x147 ft). Surrounded by trees and rice fields.

I'm going to paint the wing with red color.
xufos is offline Find More Posts by xufos
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:58 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
wow that's really weird...
I thought that maybe your battery setup was about 1300mah or 1500mah or something like that and with this setup the plane is tail heavy and that could be your problem.
But with the 2200mah it's really strange that when you release the throttle the plane goes up.
Maybe a triming problem? You can shorten the push rods (from the servo side if you open your canopy) To center all servos and make it to get less lift.
CG is at 48mm, all trims are set to neutral and the CF flies straight
and i am not the only one who sees this, see the replys of my post...
but your CF keeps flying straight after going from WOT to no throttle ?
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:41 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Feb 2010
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankd0g View Post
Beats me. I just received my RCTimer order and the 6x4E from them is identical to the one from HK. I can't see a lot of difference with the 6x5E either but I'm going to try that on the plane tomorrow before I switch out the motor. I also received my 808 keys camera so I'll probably give that a try too. Looks like one of my lipos has taken a dump on me while it sat for 3 weeks because one cell is down to 1.6v, I have it outside right now trying to charge the one cell through the balance plug, if it blows up I still have one good one to fly tomorrow.
So it turns out, with the 6x5E from RCTimer, which I'll assume is a "real" 6x5, paired with the CF-28-12 motor, the plane flys pretty much exactly like it did with the stock motor and 5x5, except it's a lot quieter. It'll do a belly takeoff and handle a bit of wind, loop and climb vertical for about 20 feet before it stalls. I got some video but it's mostly a blur because of the small area I was flying in, turn, turn, turn, loop, loop, loop

First AXN Floater Jet flight with 808 camera (3 min 49 sec)
Last edited by tankd0g; Mar 19, 2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:20 AM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
I don't know yet since i had only 2 flight's with my CF and didn't noticed if it goes up after WOT to no throttle. On monday i'll have my new ESC and will check it out and will tell you if that happens to me too..
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:46 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Feb 2010
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xufos View Post
Got a little confident today Fly quite high and far. Almost can't see the plane.

Screen grab from video camera facing down:

That's the nearest flying field from my house, 65x45 meters (213x147 ft). Surrounded by trees and rice fields.

I'm going to paint the wing with red color.
You must have some sharp eyes, especially if your CF is still white.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:23 AM
nr Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Joined Nov 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperego View Post

Regards prop adapters, I just tried a 2 grub screw 3x5mm adapter and it worked just fine - no vibration. It was a perfect fit on the shaft which is probably why it worked even though it is a grub screw type.

A friend just tried the Hobby Lobby 3x5mm ultralight collet adapter and it also worked well - no vibration.
The Hobby King Collet adapter seems to be quite heavy according to feedback. I'm dubious about getting a grub screw version because of the possible vibration and the possibility of it coming off.

The postage from the US on the Hobby Lobby one is too great. Are there any other alternatives with reasonable cost to Europe?
Dunkelmann is offline Find More Posts by Dunkelmann
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:29 AM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,258 Posts
Try the e-flite 3mm prop adapter (EFLM1922). Is what I use and is real light.
BaracW is offline Find More Posts by BaracW
Last edited by BaracW; Mar 19, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:23 AM
Madisonville, Ky, USA
Joined Nov 2009
63 Posts
floater on fire

Hey Guys,
A heads-up on the AXN floater. I have been a glow pilot for many years and recently started with electric foamies. I got the AXN floater, flew great 10 times with a 2200mah 30C lipo. Yesterday took it at half throttle for two minutes, it quit responding. I saw a trail of smoke and later a ball of fire and watched the ball of fire fly over the horizon . It was a helpless feeling. I ran about 1/2 mile and found a brushfire in a farm field. Was able to put out the fire and apologize to the neighbor. Haven't located what is left of the plane.
I suspect the esc fried and shorted the battery causing the fire. I had no prior warning, esc or motor never got particularly hot before.
Don't think I'll be buying any Chinese ARF's. I usually builf from a kit and populate with reasonable components.
Frank
hamradioflyer is offline Find More Posts by hamradioflyer
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:31 AM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Jan 2010
28 Posts
Quote:

Hey jaccies, I had a similar (but totally different ) problem when initially setting up my plane, so I know how frustrating it can be. Your CG sounds to far forward, just from the 48mm you quoted and the fact you are having to add weight ontop of a 2200mAh battery, but it may just be your measurement of it. I ended up with mine at about 56.5mm from the leading edge, but just so we are on the same page I measure the same location as 7mm in front of the rear edge of the spar cover.

I do not understand how a forward CG would cause the issues you describe, but I do think you'll need you'll need to get that sorted out first. Don't worry about how your plane flies under power, until you are happy with the glide and dive test. Also don't worry about the trims yet. Mine ended up with the CG as noted above and visible but not excessive (about 1.5mm) down trim in the elevator.

If you are unwilling to do the above please describe or give us a picture of your equipment (especially battery and weight locations) and tell us what happens when you let go of the sicks in an un-powered 45 degree dive.

Good luck with it.
Armbarnes is offline Find More Posts by Armbarnes
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:49 AM
KJ4WFE - FPV gonnabe...
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Feb 2009
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamradioflyer View Post
Hey Guys,
A heads-up on the AXN floater. I have been a glow pilot for many years and recently started with electric foamies. I got the AXN floater, flew great 10 times with a 2200mah 30C lipo. Yesterday took it at half throttle for two minutes, it quit responding. I saw a trail of smoke and later a ball of fire and watched the ball of fire fly over the horizon . It was a helpless feeling. I ran about 1/2 mile and found a brushfire in a farm field. Was able to put out the fire and apologize to the neighbor. Haven't located what is left of the plane.
I suspect the esc fried and shorted the battery causing the fire. I had no prior warning, esc or motor never got particularly hot before.
Don't think I'll be buying any Chinese ARF's. I usually builf from a kit and populate with reasonable components.
Frank
sounds to me like time to fetch another AXN floater.

On my 2nd flight because i was silly lazy my push rods poked a hole in my ESC and fried it. I was super lucky because i didn't smoke much and I was able to glide it in. Your event sounded like a lot more fun except for the running part.
heavyj is offline Find More Posts by heavyj