HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2010, 07:48 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Feb 2010
142 Posts
I have a TGS 6x4E in the mail right now, shipped a couple days ago from HK, all I have to compare it to when it gets here is the 5x5 of the CF but I'll post a photo.
tankd0g is offline Find More Posts by tankd0g
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:27 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Props

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankd0g View Post
I have a TGS 6x4E in the mail right now, shipped a couple days ago from HK, all I have to compare it to when it gets here is the 5x5 of the CF but I'll post a photo.
I noticed Hobby King lists a Master Airscrew 6.5x4 and also a GWS 6050R (as in gear reduced). The GWS have the slow fly curve to the blades, same as the 1047 I use on my Slow Stick. I wonder if the GWS 6050R will work at the higher rpm we see on the CF. The blades might be a bit thin for that speed.

BTW: I removed the 6x4E from my CF to check balance, which appeared to me to be acceptable. With the prop removed I spun up the motor and noticed a buzz. I don't know how much buzz is acceptable from a unloaded outrunner. I did not expect the motor to be completely smooth, so I am now wondering how to quantatively report on the unloaded motor balance.

Any ideas?
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Mar 06, 2010, 05:54 AM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
I really start worrying now guys. I heard a lot about this plane, everybody saying that they coocked motors, ESC, and a new prop is needed.

I also blown an ESC and ordered a new one at 25A and a 6x4 Prop. Is that enough to make this bird flying ok??
It's just some people also saying that a 30A ESC is needed and the Stock motor get's too hot very easy. Maybe the 6x4 prop will do a nice job?

Any help appreciated!!
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:46 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post
I really start worrying now guys. I heard a lot about this plane, everybody saying that they coocked motors, ESC, and a new prop is needed.

I also blown an ESC and ordered a new one at 25A and a 6x4 Prop. Is that enough to make this bird flying ok??
It's just some people also saying that a 30A ESC is needed and the Stock motor get's too hot very easy. Maybe the 6x4 prop will do a nice job?

Any help appreciated!!
I flew mine for about 50 flights, completely stock. The motor seized after the magnets started moving. I have since replaced the motor (P. 138 this thread) and have about 2 hrs. on the new motor with a 18A ESC. There are several reports of motor problems in this thread. I can't imagine the stock motor needing a 30A ESC. My original motor used only about 15A with the stock prop. The motor is not the only load on the ESC. The BEC section powers 4 servos and the receiver. The part of the ESC called the BEC should be able to furnish at least 2A, IMHO.
The BEC section of the ESC might actually be your problem. Keep reading the thread(s) and stay tuned.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 04:58 PM
Norway, Hordaland, rstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Had a bad experience when flying today - my prop-saver rubber-ring was too soft, and I made the stupid mistake of using a normal rubberband pulled around several times. Ended up with the propeller almost cutting the tail off the plane - it actually chopped out a good piece of foam...
The good part is that I got the plane down safely - and didn't lose the propeller.

Of course my original spare rubber-band was at home, but have added it now.

Does anybody know if these ones from HobbyKing can be used for our plane:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8234
Cubber1 is online now Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Mar 06, 2010, 05:28 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
rubber ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
Had a bad experience when flying today - my prop-saver rubber-ring was too soft, and I made the stupid mistake of using a normal rubberband pulled around several times. Ended up with the propeller almost cutting the tail off the plane - it actually chopped out a good piece of foam...
The good part is that I got the plane down safely - and didn't lose the propeller.

They look like automotive o-rings to me. The hardware or auto parts store?
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:02 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Feb 2010
142 Posts
Quote:

Get a piece of surgical tubing or sling shot rubber band and oyu'll have elastics forever. Just chop off a new one as needed.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:09 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

Yup. Those are the ones I use.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:14 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
So, as of March 2010 is the TGS 6x4 a 6x4 and the TGS 6x5 a 6x5 as advertised on the prop or are we still playing guess-the-prop spec with Hobby King?
Im pretty sure they had it sorted out late last year. Either way, I really love the TGS 6x4.6E Its a monster that can shoot straight up vertical till you can hardly see it from a hand launch. Its still not a 5" pitch, as the stock TGS 5x5E looks & measures steeper... but its probably more pitch than a powered glider will ever need.

But I'm taking my suppo 2212-06 off the CF and putting it onto a 28" Skyray depron parkjet I'm building, and gonna give a TowerPro 2409-12 a try with a 'APC-style' 7x6E prop.

Did a little bench testing with a Turnigy 2409-12 and 7x6E, but its a pretty cheap-ass motor.... rear bearing is seriously small, and the bell fell apart when I tried to change the shaft for a non threaded item. While it was working it pulled 22-23A and got very hot from the rear bearing. Either of the two TowerPro motors should be able to take that. Ordering one of each
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:18 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Feb 2010
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
Im pretty sure they had it sorted out late last year. Either way, I really love the TGS 6x4.6E Its a monster that can shoot straight up vertical till you can hardly see it from a hand launch. Its still not a 5" pitch, as the stock TGS 5x5E looks & measures steeper... but its probably more pitch than a powered glider will ever need.

But I'm taking my suppo 2212-06 off the CF and putting it onto a 28" Skyray depron parkjet I'm building, and gonna give a TowerPro 2409-12 a try with a 'APC-style' 7x6E prop.

Did a little bench testing with a Turnigy 2409-12 and 7x6E, but its a pretty cheap-ass motor.... rear bearing is seriously small, and the bell fell apart when I tried to change the shaft for a non threaded item. While it was working it pulled 22-23A and got very hot from the rear bearing. Either of the two TowerPro motors should be able to take that. Ordering one of each

Will it take a 7" prop without chopping itself in half?
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:21 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestros View Post

Any help appreciated!!
I think the stock ESC is pretty good, its the same as a hobbywing/turnigy plush. Mine was a 20A item, and its still running strong on a depron Extra 300S.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:27 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankd0g View Post
Will it take a 7" prop without chopping itself in half?
I think you could fit a 8" prop if you really wanted to, I've got some shims (errr, folded up cardboard) under the bottom of the motor mount to get the thrust line closer to the CoG anyway, and she flys a lot nicer for it.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joined Jul 2007
229 Posts
Not sure if this already been noted, but the OKHOBBY 5x5 prop appears to be the same as the ones supplied with the CF.

It looks identical except it doesn't have EMP stamped in it, nor the EMP logo. The adapter rings appear to be the same, including none that fit the CF motor shaft. However, the printed paper in the packaging says they are for 2, 3, 3.175, 4, 5, and 6mm shafts. Of all the sizes, the only one that measures correctly is the 5mm one.
rperego is offline Find More Posts by rperego
Old Mar 07, 2010, 05:02 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,395 Posts
Quote:

i use this one ( diameter 15mm) , because the rubber ring get cracks
i use 3 of them on the propsaver
jaccies is online now Find More Posts by jaccies
Last edited by jaccies; Mar 07, 2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 06:06 AM
just keep flying!!! :))
Thessaloniki, Greece
Joined Feb 2010
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
I flew mine for about 50 flights, completely stock. The motor seized after the magnets started moving. I have since replaced the motor (P. 138 this thread) and have about 2 hrs. on the new motor with a 18A ESC. There are several reports of motor problems in this thread. I can't imagine the stock motor needing a 30A ESC. My original motor used only about 15A with the stock prop. The motor is not the only load on the ESC. The BEC section powers 4 servos and the receiver. The part of the ESC called the BEC should be able to furnish at least 2A, IMHO.
The BEC section of the ESC might actually be your problem. Keep reading the thread(s) and stay tuned.
Thank you for your reply, really helpful. Can you please tell me what is the BEC section of the ESC?? (It is the receiver and the servos right?).

And even if i had a 50A esc, if the plane doesn't have enough air intake to cool the electronics the 50A esc will be coocked too?
Because i live in Greece and we have a very hot climate here.
maestros is offline Find More Posts by maestros