HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2009, 12:23 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
948 Posts
USP delivered my CF from Hobby King this morning; 11 days from order placing (1/2 way around the world!) instead of the 4-5 weeks advertised. Exceptionally well packed. This is my 1st EPO foam plastic and it is beautiful. My wife thought it was fiberglas. This is the 1st item I have ordered from Hobby King.
Spread the parts out and this is what is seen at 1st glance;
There may be a slight downward bend in the tail boom, but gentle heat should get it realigned.
Instruction booklet lacks critical measurements, and is more like a plastic display model minimal instructions.
A few small items are missing but no big deal.
This is the pnp version that will be a video camera plane.
The decals seem to be able to be peeled off if you want to change the appearance.
The motor has not been powered up, but it looks and hand turns really nice.
I'll rate it at 9.9 points out of 10.
At this point, I am very satisfied with the kit, price and delivery.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,050 Posts
Jim

10-4 the decals came right off mine.

I would measure your wing and horizontal stab incidence before you tweak anything IMO.

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Mar 08, 2009, 12:54 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
948 Posts
The mailman knows I build model airplanes because of the shipping labels, but he says he has never seen more than the tan shipping box. Monday I plan to show the CF to him.
He said that there is a registered box for me in the vault and he will bring it Monday. I ordered A123 cells from Hobby King 3 days before the CF order; Wonder why the USP hasn't delivered it?
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Mar 08, 2009, 06:46 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
That looks like my account with Hobbycity in 2007... They do have the best prices and I have had the same experience with them as ajbaker had. I finally had to stop ordering since it was getting out of hand. I was ordering over a 100 bucks worth of items (servos, servo extension wires, lipopacks, ESCs, props) every other month, it was crazy. I don't know what it was, but I was stockpiling this stuff, and of course, I ordered the Cloud Fly, which was one my last purchases in 2008. I had to buckle down because the mrs. had decided to take a sabatical from work to be a stay-at-home mom.

I've been happy with Cloud Fly. It's great all-around plane... The EasyStar used to be my go-to plane, but since I got this plane, it is what I keep in the trunk of my car now to assuage my last minute desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I would like to know more about your unhappy experience with HC. I have been dealing with them for over 4 years and the few problems that I have had were taken care of totally to my satisfaction. In fact, the few times I have sent a part back to them, they send me an email of apology and I get some sort of free gift in my next order of something that they know I can use based on my previous orders. I have attached a picture of the orders that I have made in the last year or so. I spend about $2000 a year with them. Maybe that is why they go out of their way to keep me happy. I really hope I can change your mind and give them a try again. If for ANY reason you are unhappy, please call them and give them a chance to make it right. No. I am not associated with them in any way other than as a customer. And that is because they have the best prices I have seen anywhere. Good Luck and I sure am sorry to hear about your bad experience with them.
AJ
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Mar 08, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 08:11 AM
West Borneo
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
Hi guys,

Is this plane good for a newbie that do not have actual flying experience?

I have been flying with FMS simulator but not an actual plane yet.

Thank you.
aliank is offline Find More Posts by aliank
Old Mar 08, 2009, 08:39 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
I would like to think so IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliank
Hi guys,

Is this plane good for a newbie that do not have actual flying experience?

I have been flying with FMS simulator but not an actual plane yet.

Thank you.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Mar 08, 2009, 11:07 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Floater Jet observations.

After two weeks of owning a Floater Jet these are my observations:
1. It flies well in our 10-15 mph prevailing winds.
2. As a transition aileron plane it is working well.
3. It will thermal well enough to get nearly out of sight, requiring full down elevator to recover.
4. 2200Mah seem to be the size of battery required to balance at the spar.
5. The only weakness after 12 battery packs, averaging 25 min. each, is with the canopy. The little metal washer came unstuck and the front catch had to be re-qlued.
6. The motor noise is annoying but the motor performs well.
7. The ESC, if pushed, will get quite warm.
8. It arrived well boxed - no damage.
9. It went together well using the enclosed tube of "mystery" glue.
Damage report:
One dimple near the wing tip from an encounter with one of our Organic Aircraft Locators (Mesquite tree) on final. The long gentle glide wasn't long enough.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Mar 08, 2009, 03:31 PM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Is there enough clearance to mount a 6x4 prop on the Floater Jet? I see it comes with a 5x5 and that's pretty small for a 23 ounce model.

Thanks!
Shawn
shawn595 is offline Find More Posts by shawn595
Old Mar 08, 2009, 04:08 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Floater Jet prop size.

Check the first posts. Someone flew it with a 6X prop.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Thanks, I went back looking again and noticed I missed that comment. For anyone else looking, you can find that info here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=31

-Shawn
Old Mar 08, 2009, 06:18 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Props.

Check posts #4 and #5.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...87&postcount=4
Old Mar 09, 2009, 12:16 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm keeping this plane on the short list of things to buy. Unfortunately, my tax bill is much bigger than expected so it'll have to wait until I sometime in May.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 10:48 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
next project.

My next project will be a foamy 3d trainer, probably a EPP profile Yak or something I can bash around in low wind, if we ever get any low wind here.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:18 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Battery Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I just ordered one of these tonight. I will keep you posted. This thing should take ALL the mystery of any combo. Less than 9.0v=alarm.
AJ
Well, the first one I got was broken. So, I sent it in and I should have another new one in the next few days. Today, I tried a couple of the cheaper ones. I tested the 2S and 3S battery alarms. They do work pretty good. I would rate them satisfactory for the AXN or Clouds Fly. The leds cannot be seen on a flyby unless you have really great eyes. The alarm starts sounding at 3.5v/cell. It beeps about every 5-7 seconds. But, it will stop beeping if you lower the throttle setting. So, IMO, it is not obnoxious. When the battery hits 3.0v/cell, The beeper is louder and can be heard for approximately 800-900 ft. and it will not stop beeping until you unplug it from the battery. So far, these cheapos are worth the purchase price. I will let you know how the wireless one works when I get it.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 12, 2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: qualify posting for the BrianL idiot
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:02 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
aj-

Do you have experience with the Eagle Tree or Seagull data recorder products? The specs are interesting but I wonder how they work in the real world on something like the Floater.