Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
I cracked mine open when I got home tonight.

As has been said before the foam is silky smooth. However the beads are rather large, when compared to say Multiplex's latest offering the Blizzard.

My Feeling is that AXN has some clear sheeting or otherwise encapsulating the model. Ill know more as I start to cut it up.

My elevator has good range of motion in both directions, as do all the other surfaces.

All in all I think it's a cute little wanna-be powered glider of sorts. Should be a blast to put together.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2009, 07:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
11 Posts
My mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
What's the reason for changing from the 2208N to the 2208C motor? Or is that typo? The motor page on your website doesn't list a 2208C with 2200Kv. They're a lower Kv.
Hi,BrianL, yes, we use 2208N 2200KV brushless motor,it's my written mistake,and I have edited it,sorry for that,and many thank for your sincerely advice.
Newstar is offline Find More Posts by Newstar
Old Mar 06, 2009, 05:06 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
My Feeling is that AXN has some clear sheeting or otherwise encapsulating the model. Ill know more as I start to cut it up.
No Tommy, It's because it has a large percentage of Polyolyphin, in the foam polymer. When it's heated up in the mold, it kind of fuses together into an almost polyethelene surface finish.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
FozzyTheBear is offline Find More Posts by FozzyTheBear
Old Mar 06, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzyTheBear
No Tommy, It's because it has a large percentage of Polyolyphin, in the foam polymer.
Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Really?

Thats interesting. I was cutting the wing up <don't ask why > and I noticed that the foam has a top clear transparent layer on it. You can peel it away from the foam much the same way you can peel the "paper" off blue core home insulation foam.

Just an observation

Tommy D
Old Mar 06, 2009, 09:50 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
You can peel it away from the foam much the same way you can peel the "paper" off blue core home insulation foam.
Yeah.... It forms in the mold.... like I said it's almost like having it wrapped in polythene. But its actually the surface of the foam itself after the heat of the mold has more or less melted it.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Old Mar 06, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
Very cool!

I was feeling around the LE/TE to feel for a "seam" but none was there. That said I think pin pricking areas to be glued together is a very good idea.

Its more dense then elapor, to say that when illuminated from the inside the light does not pass through the model as well.

All in all I think I'm going to like this model.

Ill change the wing mount some, but otherwsie Ill build it stock.

Tommy D
Old Mar 06, 2009, 10:00 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Tommy,

Did you buy the RR from Hobby City, or the ARF from Philip Workshop?

What is your impression of the quality of the outrunner, and if equipped the ESC and servos?

John
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Mar 06, 2009, 10:04 AM
Wakka Wakka
Joined Jun 2008
962 Posts
Quote:
I was feeling around the LE/TE to feel for a "seam" but none was there. That said I think pin pricking areas to be glued together is a very good idea.
Sanding the area to be glued would be a very good idea... That surface is going to resist glue almost completely... That's why they make CA bottles from polythene. I'm not 100% sure what will stick that stuff properly. Contact adhesive might work on it... But do a test on some scrap first to make sure it's safe on it and doesn't react with the other compounds in the foam.

All I can say Tommy is that I so wish I was able to join you in this bit of mangling fun.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Old Mar 06, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John
Tommy,

Did you buy the RR from Hobby City, or the ARF from Philip Workshop?

What is your impression of the quality of the outrunner, and if equipped the ESC and servos?

John
John

It's the ARF from Philip Workshop.

Have yet to run up the motor so I can't comment on it.

Tommy D
Old Mar 06, 2009, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
You might even consider this plane as an alternative. I ordered one while waiting for the Clouds Fly to arrive (still waiting).
AJ
Oh, I don't want buy form hobbycity, I have unhappy experience, but I didn't buy form pw-rc before, I want to know how about this shop...
alvin0624 is offline Find More Posts by alvin0624
Old Mar 06, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin0624
Oh, I don't want buy form hobbycity, I have unhappy experience, but I didn't buy form pw-rc before, I want to know how about this shop...
No Worries there. Philip runs a top notch operation.

Tommy D
Old Mar 06, 2009, 10:48 PM
Joined Mar 2009
94 Posts
I just wanted to say that I ordered from Hobby City (King) and have been very happy. I ordered the AXN with HC's $29.95 2.4GHz controller, 2 zippy 2200 mah lipos and the Turnigy charger. I haven't flown it yet but I have put it together and done some initial runs of the motor and electronics. I have to say I'm happy with the quality of everything. Shipping was fast and everything arrived packed very well and in great shape. Compared to the hobby shops around here it was a steal. Everything (with shipping) cost me $325 CDN.

Unfortunately no LHS sells anything comparable to the AXN, but the batteries along would have been $140 here. A comparable charger $125-$150. Yes we get ripped off here in Canada..
travellerw is offline Find More Posts by travellerw
Old Mar 06, 2009, 11:32 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Problem with HobbyCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin0624
I would like to know more about your unhappy experience with HC. I have been dealing with them for over 4 years and the few problems that I have had were taken care of totally to my satisfaction. In fact, the few times I have sent a part back to them, they send me an email of apology and I get some sort of free gift in my next order of something that they know I can use based on my previous orders. I have attached a picture of the orders that I have made in the last year or so. I spend about $2000 a year with them. Maybe that is why they go out of their way to keep me happy. I really hope I can change your mind and give them a try again. If for ANY reason you are unhappy, please call them and give them a chance to make it right. No. I am not associated with them in any way other than as a customer. And that is because they have the best prices I have seen anywhere. Good Luck and I sure am sorry to hear about your bad experience with them.
AJ
P.S. Entry on 1/22 is for the CF
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 12, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 11:34 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
No Worries there. Philip runs a top notch operation.

Tommy D
I totally agree Tommy D. His reputation is 5 star perfect.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 06, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
Back to the AXN Clouds Fly

Like most I trimmed the foam in the nose to accommodate a 3S 1800 pack. I think it's a nice compromise between the 2200 and 1300's I own.

A quick sanding of the elevator and rudder pushrods has lessened the resistance to some degree. That said the elevator pushrod still drags some.

I would like to replace the black canopy with a home made clear one. Will I? Not sure yet.

Tommy D