Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:37 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehblizz View Post
Hello everyone! First of all, I wanted to wish a Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm planning on buying the AXN Floater-Jet in the next few days (as soon as it's back in stock here in the EU). Since it's the first 4-ch plane for me (I've ahd two ready-to-fly 2ch planes up to now), I need some advice on the different parts to buy. I made a list of parts, would you give me a hand and check if I'm missing something, and if you have any advice go ahead, I'm here to learn! Thank you very much

AXN Floater-Jet (this version doesn't come with servos)
2200 3S (11.1V) 20C Lithium Battery
TowerPro SG-90S Micro Servo (1.6Kg Torque) 4 PACK
Wasp 20A Brushless ESC, 2A BEC, 2-3S
Planet T5 Radio Set - 2.4GHz Transmitter (5-Ch, Mode 1) with 6-Channel Receiver

Am I missing something?
That should take care of almost everything. You will still need a LiPo charger though. I would also suggest that you get an 1800mah 3SaP LiPo because the CG will be right on with it.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:22 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2010
74 Posts
Thank you for your tip. I'll try to find a 1800mah battery, and of course a charger! Hopefully I'll get the hang of things without too much trouble

The stock prop is 5x5, is that big enough? It seems that the stock motor is not so bad after all, compared to many other stock motors. Do you think I should stick with it in the beginning just to get used to the plane, and maybe after get something with a better performance and a bigger prop? Thanks
tehblizz is offline Find More Posts by tehblizz
Last edited by tehblizz; Jan 02, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 07:08 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for your tip. I'll try to find a 1800mah battery, and of course a charger! Hopefully I'll get the hang of things without too much trouble

The stock prop is 5x5, is that big enough? It seems that the stock motor is not so bad after all, compared to many other stock motors. Do you think I should stick with it in the beginning just to get used to the plane, and maybe after get something with a better performance and a bigger prop? Thanks
The 5x5E prop is ideal. As for the rest of your advice to yourself, I think it is great advice.
AJ
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:30 PM
KJ4WFE - FPV gonnabe...
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Feb 2009
151 Posts
AXN Mishaps

Theres over a 100 pages of I'm sure very good stuff about what to do to get this thing flying properly. But since I'm lazy I just slapped mine together and learned pretty quick some essential things. I'm certain some better person somewhere in this thread has already written all of these up, but the reason why I'm here is because we all just love in flight footage of things getting sideways - and I got a good inflight perspective about tip #6 - see below:

Tip 1: Retape all hinges. I didn't retape the rudder, and I should have.

Tip 2: reglue the hatch metal tab - mine came unglued

Tip 3: put the push rods on the control horns first - THEN glue the control horns in. Don't glue the control horns in then try to connect the push rods - that dont work so well.

Tip 4: After you connect your push rods, now would be a very good time to trim the long pointy ends. Failure to do so will leave you with pointy things that can poke holes in your ESC and short them out when in flight. This happened to me - the ESC blew up but somehow we kept control for the landing.

Tip 5: i think i did read that you need to tighten the motor mount screws. I didn't do that, and my motor fell off and almost ripped the wires out of the motor. So do that.

Tip 6: ya need to figure out a way to get the wings to stay together. When they dont - bad things happen:

AXN Floater AP with Sony Webbie Crash (1 min 24 sec)

Enjoy
-jj
heavyj is offline Find More Posts by heavyj
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:42 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
WOW. That solves my crummy hand launches. All is good. At 1/2 throttle and a hand launch, it dives fairly quickly. But, the gyro IMMEDIATELY corrected the dive and it only dived about 1 foot (vs 5-6ft before). The gyro makes the plane much easier to fly too (it was easy before the gyro too). It smooths out the level flight during windy conditions (like today).
AJ
What brand name you using for the gyro?
Trunks is offline Find More Posts by Trunks
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:57 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
What brand name you using for the gyro?
I use an EK2-0704 (ESky). You can find them on EBay for about $12 delivered to your door. I use them exclusively now. I tried several other brands and none of them are as good as this one.
AJ
Old Jan 03, 2010, 02:48 AM
Australia, NT, Alice Springs
Joined May 2002
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyj View Post
Tip 4: After you connect your push rods, now would be a very good time to trim the long pointy ends. Failure to do so will leave you with pointy things that can poke holes in your ESC and short them out when in flight. This happened to me - the ESC blew up but somehow we kept control for the landing.
I had a similar issue with the push rods except it pierced my lipo after a particularly bad crash and cause the below:

So definatly clip those push rods! And try to protect those batteries!

Dale
toasthall is online now Find More Posts by toasthall
Old Jan 03, 2010, 02:59 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The 5x5E prop is ideal. As for the rest of your advice to yourself, I think it is great advice.
AJ
Thanks! I also read that the 2200 mAh is a bit too big for the plane, the 1800 mAh should fit just fine! I'll let you know when I manage to get everything, hopefully I'll be able to order the stuff this coming week! Take care!
Old Jan 03, 2010, 03:01 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Hello everyone! First of all, I wanted to wish a Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm planning on buying the AXN Floater-Jet in the next few days (as soon as it's back in stock here in the EU). Since it's the first 4-ch plane for me (I've ahd two ready-to-fly 2ch planes up to now), I need some advice on the different parts to buy. I made a list of parts, would you give me a hand and check if I'm missing something, and if you have any advice go ahead, I'm here to learn! Thank you very much

Am I missing something?
Buy at HC the Clouds Fly ,
2 or 3 2200mah lipo's (no prob with CG)
all much cheaper .
HC has also a lipo charger and 2.4Ghz rx+tx but i would advise buy a Spektrum DX6i, it is an investment for the future if you like the RC hobby
Use carbon for reinforcement , protection tape for bottom of fuselage etc
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Last edited by jaccies; Jan 03, 2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 03:45 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
Buy at HC the Clouds Fly ,
2 or 3 2200mah lipo's (no prob with CG)
all much cheaper .
HC has also a lipo charger and 2.4Ghz rx+tx but i would advise buy a Spektrum DX6i, it is an investment for the future if you like the RC hobby
Use carbon for reinforcement , protection tape for bottom of fuselage etc
Once you add the shipping and the customs the price goes waaay up! I have to stick to brchobbies because there are no customs between EU countries
Thank you for the advice though, I'll make sure I get some carbon rods for reinforcement!

edit: btw, HC doesn't won't ship that stuff to Italy
Last edited by tehblizz; Jan 03, 2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 09:46 AM
AD.
Team Better Than Yours
London, UK
Joined Jul 2009
236 Posts
When I got mine from BRC I got a Wasp 25A ESC and that is what the instructions from BRC recommend.
AD. is offline Find More Posts by AD.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 10:16 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD. View Post
When I got mine from BRC I got a Wasp 25A ESC and that is what the instructions from BRC recommend.
It says 20A on the plane page, but I'll be sure to ask them directly when I call to place the order. Thank you for your advice, I'll be sure to ask them what to pick between a 25A and a 20A ESC

I don't have enough money atm to buy a really good receiver and transmitter, is the combo I picked any good? I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon, I plan on using this plane for a long time! Thanks
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:13 PM
Italy
Joined Sep 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Once you add the shipping and the customs the price goes waaay up! I have to stick to brchobbies because there are no customs between EU countries
Thank you for the advice though, I'll make sure I get some carbon rods for reinforcement!

edit: btw, HC doesn't won't ship that stuff to Italy
Strange, they shipped it out to me without problems. Plane+2200 lipo+shipping+customs was 106 euro last September. After some very HARD landings, even if it still flies, I'm now thinking of getting another one. But maybe I'll wait as much as I can hoping that HC decides to start selling spare parts for the plane.
lonzar is offline Find More Posts by lonzar
Last edited by lonzar; Jan 03, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: missed the lipo
Old Jan 03, 2010, 01:35 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonzar View Post
Strange, they shipped it out to me without problems. Plane+shipping+customs was 106 euro last September. After some very HARD landings, even if it still flies, I'm now thinking of getting another one. But maybe I'll wait as much as I can hoping that HC decides to start selling spare parts for the plane.
Where do you live? I have to pay 25% customs plus shipping to Italy (which is like 90$ just for the plane, without the other parts!). It just doesn't make sense!
Old Jan 03, 2010, 04:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies View Post
+1
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix