HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 04, 2003, 07:48 AM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
901 Posts
Heads up, guys. Something to think about.

Article link: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=31333

Headline reads: "Air terror by remote control
Model planes, not just drones, latest threat"

I know this has been discussed a lot in the past; but it bears repeating for our own benefit. All it would take is for a copy of "Model Aviation" to be found in a police raid of a suspected terrorist for things to get VERY uncomfortable, very quickly. If you don't believe me, just ask a rocketeer.
Please believe me I am NOT trying to raise an alarm here, but we should be aware of the times and what our "non-RC" neighbors might be thinking or afraid of. The best cure for panic is friendly education. I plan to go right on building'em, flying'em and crashing'em as I always have and I would advise all of you to do the same. Remember the whole point is to have fun!

Happy landings!

Paul "lone Yankee" Burgholzer.
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:05 AM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,669 Posts
Terrorists use guns to and a lot of honest people own them to for a hobby.
ps I'm not a NRA fanatic.
Bill Bergman is offline Find More Posts by Bill Bergman
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:30 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Greeneville, TN USA
Joined Mar 2000
652 Posts
We've turned into a country full of wimps who expects the government to protect us from harm. To do this they must remove all of our rights and prevent us from doing anything that may be used in a harmful manner.

America is falling apart at the seams right now, and unless us (the citizens) make it clear that we won't stand for this foolishness they will continue to slowly remove our rights one by one.

Funny. At one time there was this document called the Constitution that protected us from such ignorance. Too bad our government decided it wasn't important anymore.
bsumpter is offline Find More Posts by bsumpter
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:58 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
"Funny. At one time there was this document called the Constitution that protected us from such ignorance. Too bad our government decided it wasn't important anymore."

No, they do think its important, but as a tool to do their bidding.

Thats why they're now refering to it as a " living " document.

I HATE propaganda!

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:59 AM
Arp
On ground
Joined Feb 2003
615 Posts
Unreasonable restriction of robotics/modeling, regardless of countries/regions where this might occur, would be unwise. It would be addressing problems in a short-sighted, inefficient way... pumping out water instead of repairing the leak.

I could set back beneficial use of new technologies -- limiting the number of people who debate and solve those puzzles, out of curiosity and with no military motivations.

Not only would it make difficult for people to pursue their hobby... it would also reduce possibilities for aviation research, and commercial automated aviation systems (which can save resources and help people).

It would reduce the amount of financing available for experimental motors, servos, batteries, chargers, solar cells, fuel cells, gyros, radios, programmable integrated circuits... it would affect experimentation in many fields. In fields which have not reached widespread use, hobby demand can propel tangible development.

It would even set back military ability to develop UAV technologies -- since somebody has to build them. People are not born as engineers or pilots... they learn somewhere, obtain their interest somehow, develop it by building something smaller and simpler.

----------

On the issue of terrorism, it deserves mention that mobile phones are cheaper than hobby radios. In addition, mobile phones are widespread and easier to operate. In technically well-advanced countries, half of population carries a potential remote detonator in their back pocket. In airports, shops, offices, theatres, subways...

So, before anyone limits remote-contolled models, it would be essential to ban mobile phones. Yet even that... would not work. Any technology can be replaced. Means of destruction can be built despite bans.

Only getting the person who wishes harm before he/she causes it... only stopping people who intend harm from organizing and promoting their cause... only defusing conditions where they can thrive... only that can *really* address the issue of terrorism.
Arp is offline Find More Posts by Arp
Last edited by Arp; Mar 04, 2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2003, 09:16 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Guys

Please keep this thread on topic for this forum.

That means discussion of this matter is confined to how it affects aeromodelling. If you want to discuss other aspects, such as how guns are or have been affected, the role of the US constitution, the Department of Homeland Security and all that stuff then either contribute to one of the ongoing threads in the Off Topic Discussion forum or start one there.

As soon as this thread goes Off Topic it will be closed.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Mar 04, 2003, 09:20 AM
Kansas
Joined Jul 2002
539 Posts
Well, an r/c car would require less skill and has as much potential for mayhem....

Box cutters worked well in NYC and at the Pentagon, as well as in the sky over Pennsylvania.

Building owners could flood the radio spectrum near perceived targets to help protect them. Probably illegal right now but King George will fix that.

I think (oh yeah, planes don't kill people, people kill people) King Georges' inability to rationally deal with North Korea might be idicative of his ( and his war mongering advisors) world view.

Heaven help us all.
die fliedermaus is offline Find More Posts by die fliedermaus
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:29 AM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
901 Posts
Howdy, folks.
My concern here is that the biggest threat to RC COULD be us. Example: if I were having a cup-o-Joe with my RC buds at a local diner and say, “My F5-B is so fast it’ll run down Air-Force1!”, we would all know that it would just be a figure of speech. To someone who got their aviation education watching TV, you could give them the wrong idea.
My point? Get the wrong bee in the wrong bonnet and we could learn the hard way the pain of trying to un-ring a bell.
My suggestions? Glad you asked!!!
1. Don’t be paranoid but try to phase things “nicely” (like NOT referring to my “Nuclear-powered Yard Bee” in front of “No Nukes” protestors *S*)
2. I would suggest that we (better us than them) refrain from developing long-range RC tech such as flying through an on-board camera and a laptop.
3. Make sure folks know how much FUN this really is! (ever seen a conspiracy being hatched with big, dumb smiles!?)

My 2 cents… -Lone Yankee.
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee
Old Mar 04, 2003, 12:03 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lone Yankee
Howdy, folks.
My concern here is that the biggest threat to RC COULD be us. Example: if I were having a cup-o-Joe with my RC buds at a local diner and say, “My F5-B is so fast it’ll run down Air-Force1!”, we would all know that it would just be a figure of speech. To someone who got their aviation education watching TV, you could give them the wrong idea.
My point? Get the wrong bee in the wrong bonnet and we could learn the hard way the pain of trying to un-ring a bell.
My suggestions? Glad you asked!!!
1. Don’t be paranoid but try to phase things “nicely” (like NOT referring to my “Nuclear-powered Yard Bee” in front of “No Nukes” protestors *S*)
2. I would suggest that we (better us than them) refrain from developing long-range RC tech such as flying through an on-board camera and a laptop.
3. Make sure folks know how much FUN this really is! (ever seen a conspiracy being hatched with big, dumb smiles!?)

My 2 cents… -Lone Yankee.
They win!
Don't be "politically incorrect" is what you are saying here.
1)Don't speak where the Whuffos can hear you.
2)Don't do anything at all that could be construed as possessing destructive potential.
3)Look like a loon playing with toys... Oops, we already do that!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Mar 04, 2003, 01:25 PM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
you guys wanna come fly at my place ? lots of room no chance of radio jamming from big brother you can barely get FM radio here
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Mar 04, 2003, 01:49 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Canada looks good but....

Canada looks good but, it's too damn cold! Canada also seems to take security much less seriously. Considering this is the number one entry point for terrorists.

It seems like our Bush regime must be reading Revalations. The only question is who is the Beast?

"Then the beast was allowed to speak great blasphemies against God. And he was given authority to do what he wanted for forty-two months. And he spoke terrible words of blasphemy against God, slandering his name and all who live in heaven, who are his temple. And the beast was allowed to wage war against God's holy people and to overcome them."
Fast-Forward is offline Find More Posts by Fast-Forward
Old Mar 05, 2003, 07:31 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Well, the Book of Revelations is probably about as far off topic as we need to go this time.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Closed Thread