HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:39 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Discussion
SONY 1/3" CCD 480 TVL Cam for only $40

So I wanted to get everyones thoughts on this cam and maybe what type of video I can expect. I have been searching high and low to find the perfect cam for FPV, but just cant bring myself to spending $100 on a cam that i could probably get from this seller for a much better price.

Here are the Tech Specs...

This auction include 1pcs of camera board, 2pcs of lens, 1pcs of BNC converter cable and other setting accessories.

Color camera
1/3" SONY DSP CCD sensor
Resolution: 480 TV lines
Min. illumination 0.3 lux
Auto electronic shutter
6mm lens and 16mm lens
Auto White Balance
Size: 38mm x 38mm
Power: 12VDC, 120 mA
NTSC system

Heres the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-1-3-CCD-CCT...l1262#MRLOCATE

And if this thread goes on for a while, then please note that the seller is sureelectronics2 & sureelectronics1 from ebay with over 5500 successful transactions and a 99.9% rating. So you know the guy sends out good stuff.

So what kind of mods do i need to do to this camera to get it working? Thin balsa plates on the front and rear? Wrap it in electrical tape? I mean whats the process to get this thing fly ready?

And a lens is dirt cheap, Ive seen some for $5 shipped on ebay, so lets not make the thread about a 6mm Lens. Thoughts?
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Last edited by EyeFlyPlanes; Dec 23, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:08 PM
My other heli is a Vapor
Houston, TX
Joined Dec 2007
983 Posts
That camera should be fine for FPV use. If you want to protect the camera you can use one of the methods you mentioned or put some large diameter shrink tubing over it with a hole for the lens. You can mount it to a small piece of wood or plastic using the four holes in the corners. You might consider purchasing a wider lens, but as you pointed out, lenses are cheap. You'll probably want to cut the end off the included cable to make your own wiring harness and connect it to the transmitter and power, but that's not too difficult. It's 12V, so you don't need a voltage converter. Basically it looks like a good deal to me, and doesn't really require much to get it in the air.
eander315 is offline Find More Posts by eander315
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:13 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Cool, well where do u get a large amount of heat shrink wrap for something like that?And how would i do a new wiring harness? Diagrams, threads avail? I'd love to see what the videos look like on this thing, any samples on youtube or vimeo with the same specs?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
I bought that camera (NTSC version), video here
RVOSD NTSC (3 min 18 sec)

lol, debuging RVOSD.

The rest of my videos are made with the KX191, It is PAL and Vova told me that this is an old version that has some problems with color accuracy, but i like it much more than the sure electronics camera.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Last edited by Elcheapo; Dec 23, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:23 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Get shrink wrap at your LHS or Harbor Freight. Might try Rat Shack too. Other electronics or automotive supply stores should have something as well.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:54 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo
I bought that camera (NTSC version), video here
http://vimeo.com/1330451

lol, debuging RVOSD.

The rest of my videos are made with the KX191, It is PAL and Vova told me that this is an old version that has some problems with color accuracy, but i like it much more than the sure electronics camera.
Maybe the cloudy day made the color and resolution make it look not so great? I didnt understand the post. You like the kx191 better than this one? U seems a bit out of focus.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Sorry, english not my native language. The video shows the sure-electronics camera.

Yes, i preffer the KX191 over this one. I said that the other videos i have on vimeo are made with the KX191, but an old version with some color problems.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:13 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo
Sorry, english not my native language. The video shows the sure-electronics camera.

Yes, i preffer the KX191 over this one. I said that the other videos i have on vimeo are made with the KX191, but an old version with some color problems.
Do u have any other videos that you have made with this camera with more light and in focus?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:53 PM
United Kingdom, Bath
Joined Apr 2007
193 Posts
Hi,

I can't say much about that particularcamera, but I've bought a bunch of other stuff (including a different cam) from sureelectronics. They seem to be pretty good, fast shipping to UK.

Did you check out the other thread about a cheap CCD for $20? That one is probably better than this one, less resolution though.

Cheers,
-Z-
zitron is offline Find More Posts by zitron
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:10 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitron
Hi,

I can't say much about that particularcamera, but I've bought a bunch of other stuff (including a different cam) from sureelectronics. They seem to be pretty good, fast shipping to UK.

Did you check out the other thread about a cheap CCD for $20? That one is probably better than this one, less resolution though.

Cheers,
-Z-
Why would u say that other $20 cam is better?

A quick comparison:

Camera: Pan CX-161 Sony Cam
Price Shipped: $23 $43
Resolution: 380 480
LUX: 5.0 0.3
Sensor: 1/4 1/3

Arent all those the main items that you use to compare the quality of cameras?

I would think for only $20 more you get 2wice the cam, but if you buy 2 of the $20 cams u get 2 of the same low rez high lux cams.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:26 PM
Joined May 2008
606 Posts
Why to buy THE BEST goggles with resolution ~ 640 lines and pay for it only to couple it with 300-400 lines camera?

Just a question

Regards
Homer
Homer_Simpson is offline Find More Posts by Homer_Simpson
Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:46 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson
Why to buy THE BEST goggles with resolution ~ 640 lines and pay for it only to couple it with 300-400 lines camera?

Just a question

Regards
Homer
I'm sorry I dont follow?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
Do u have any other videos that you have made with this camera with more light and in focus?
Well, this one with the kx191 and similar conditions.

RVOSD Return home (short) (3 min 14 sec)
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:05 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,745 Posts
The "beAst" resolution is 640 horizontaly, verticaly is only 480 lines, so any 480 TLV camera will match it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson

Just a question

Regards
Homer
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:17 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Size: 38mm x 38mm

Ouch.

Goggles are pixels, not lines - as LCD's are digital not analogue. TV Lines do not equal pixels, which is why even lower resolution cameras (like the 320 lines) dont look pixelated on your video. See http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/tv_line.cfm

Resolution is absolutely not thing you should be looking at, look at it's light handling, weight, and picture quality.
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris