HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:24 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
Build Log
The MiniMost XL

I have been a builder here before but have mothballed my past project due to overwhelming time constraints. I have since found some free time and want to get back in the business. I want to keep my new project small so I can finish it. I'll get back to my bigger stuff later. I need to get back in the saddle with a small victory.
I recently purchased a beat up K&O outboard on Ebay. It's an old 25 horse Johnson from the fifties. I wanted a nicer looking example, but the bidds get pricey on the cleaner motors. It barely ran when I recieved it, but after taking it apart and cleaning it out, I got it running just fine. It was love at first sight. I was mesmorized by it's looks and detail. I know it's toy made out of die-cast, but it's really a work of art.
Tollytime is online now Find More Posts by Tollytime
Last edited by Tollytime; Dec 23, 2008 at 11:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
What should I build?

I was so inspired by this little guy, I wanted to give it a good resting place. I was thinking of something like a 14ft fishing boat or a maybe a small runabout in 1/9 scale. I started to look through my old Popular Science magazines from the fifties to get ideas. (I bought this collection of magazines from an old man 20 years ago.) I think I found the right edition.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,884 Posts
Hi there Tollytime,

I think the Minimost would be an excellent carrier for this little gem of an outboard.

I can tell you must be a good builder, by looking at the sawhorse you built to support your outboard for display!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:32 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,859 Posts
looks great, but that old johnson was heavy and slow, the minimost would most likely had a mercury hurricane on the transom, think about a 16ftr rigged for a day of chasing muskies(with all the details rods,lures,tackle boxes,those old seat cushions that passed as a pfd, fuel can/tank,lunch and beer)
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
Size does matter...

These outboards are about 1/9 or 1/8 scale. I really have a hard time figuring out scale. So I got out the calculater and tried to get a measurement formula. The Minimost in real life is about 8ft long and almost 5ft wide. The original Minimost was designed for a 9.9 horse outboard. I have a 25 horse motor. Hmmm...
Would it be realistic to adapt the design to bigger proportions for a bigger motor? After looking on the internet, the answer is a big YES! I found the Minimost design is alive and well around the world. From the small lakes of upper Canada all the way down to New Zealand. The Minimost has been built from 6ft to 22Ft in length. The outboard power range is from 2hp to over 200hp.
I decided a 1/9 or 1/8 scale original 8ft Minimost is about 10 1/2 inches. If I stretch the proportions to about 14 inches the boat would be around 12 1/2ft long. That's good enough for me.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith
looks great, but that old johnson was heavy and slow, the minimost would most likely had a mercury hurricane on the transom, think about a 16ftr rigged for a day of chasing muskies(with all the details rods,lures,tackle boxes,those old seat cushions that passed as a pfd, fuel can/tank,lunch and beer)
I agree, but I wanted a fast build that would be fun and easy. I will be eventually expanding my collection and find a suitable motor for it. I really want to build the boat your talking about, but these hydro seem pretty freindly. I'll be working on your idea in a while.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 01:06 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Hi there Tollytime,

I think the Minimost would be an excellent carrier for this little gem of an outboard.

I can tell you must be a good builder, by looking at the sawhorse you built to support your outboard for display!
Thanks, but I'm really a hack. I built those nice little saw horses because I knew you guys would be reading this. That's not my real work area either. LOL!! I'm terrified of embarrassing myself in this room of giants. The build has been underway for few days like a rehearsal for a play. I just hope I don't forget my lines. (Pardon the pun!!)
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:01 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
349 Posts
Very nice looking little motor. I didn`t know such a thing existed. I`m gonna get me one of those for sure! So what are the dimensions on it? What scale do you figure it is?
I love those old Popular science magazines. They don`t make them like that anymore. I wonder why not?....Hmmmm I always find it funny how they`re always saying in those old mags..." Build this in 5 evenings" or 3 hours/or three minutes. Yeah right! Ha...ha..ha
Willj is offline Find More Posts by Willj
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:22 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,859 Posts
the summer before I went into the coast guard my father and i stopped at a yard sale, sitting of to the side was an old 8ft plywood hydro, $20.00 later it was on the way home with us,(we had moved to a lake home a month earlier) my mother wasn't to happy, but two days of sanding and some epoxy paint and my dads 9.9 evinrude and I was having fun(pre-jetski era)my dad asked me if had fitted "his outboard" with a safety chain, off course I said it's connected to a though eyebolt on the transom, my dads reply was he wanted attached to my ankle!!!
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willj
Very nice looking little motor. I didn`t know such a thing existed. I`m gonna get me one of those for sure! So what are the dimensions on it? What scale do you figure it is?
I love those old Popular science magazines. They don`t make them like that anymore. I wonder why not?....Hmmmm I always find it funny how they`re always saying in those old mags..." Build this in 5 evenings" or 3 hours/or three minutes. Yeah right! Ha...ha..ha
The motor is about 5 3/8" and I think it's considered 1/9 scale. Lookup K&O outboard on Ebay. The old Popular Science mags are sweet. Today, it's nothing but a magazine of advertisments with wimpy articles that have little or no pictures.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
Making patterns

I took a very non-scientific approach and scanned the pages on the computer. I cleaned up the lines on photo-paint and traced them over again in MS Paint. I cut and pasted the images in half on the screen. I then repasted the mirror image to to the original pattern to ensure both sides would be perfectly the same. I printed the patterns out about 8 times until the measurements matched my scale. I think it was enlarged at 125% when I got a match. I decided to take a sheet of styrene and trace out the patterns from the paper. I may make more.
Last edited by Tollytime; Dec 23, 2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:48 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith
the summer before I went into the coast guard my father and i stopped at a yard sale, sitting of to the side was an old 8ft plywood hydro, $20.00 later it was on the way home with us,(we had moved to a lake home a month earlier) my mother wasn't to happy, but two days of sanding and some epoxy paint and my dads 9.9 evinrude and I was having fun(pre-jetski era)my dad asked me if had fitted "his outboard" with a safety chain, off course I said it's connected to a though eyebolt on the transom, my dads reply was he wanted attached to my ankle!!!
He must have known my Dad!! LOL!!
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
It ain't that easy!

I wanted to use 1/32 birch ply for the hull but it was way too floppy. I didn't want the hull or topsides having a tendancy to "Oil Can", when being handled. I switched to 1/16 birch ply, but it may cost me on the weight scale.
I'll try it again with 1/32 on the next time around.
I cut the slit on the botton panel to form the crease for the bow. That's easy, now how do hold this together to glue it? Ok, we'll use some fiberglass packing tape to hold it. (The tape looses grip about 3 times) After taping the enitre bow it was time to glue in the stem.
Now this 1/16 birch ply is suddenly getting harder to bend and my fingers are starting to fatigue. I don't know how long I messed around, but I didn't make my appearance at the dinner table.
Ok, I'm going to reduce the curvature on that stem. Now it fit's, but have to use pliers to hold everything while I glue it in. The transom and bulkhead are easily cut out on the scroll saw. I'm using sturdy 1/8" birch ply for those pieces. The foward bulkhead is made as one piece so it doesn't collapse by accident. The 1/4 x 1/4" Keelson is glued in place. So far, it's been fun.
Last edited by Tollytime; Dec 23, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:56 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,276 Posts
I think the one we build was called a Sea Flea, 1/8 door skin for the hull bottom all coated with fiberglass, powered by an old 5.5 evinrude. Wish I still had the plans, I would make a nice model.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:34 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel
I think the one we build was called a Sea Flea, 1/8 door skin for the hull bottom all coated with fiberglass, powered by an old 5.5 evinrude. Wish I still had the plans, I would make a nice model.
Regards,
Gerald.
Google up Sea Flea and you should find something. I thought somebody was selling plans, but I don't remember. I sometimes ask boat plan vendors if they have a cheaper study pack. Sometimes they do. Check out www.boatdesigns.com to get some ideas.