HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

XHELI.com and Esky's Big Lama Helicopter Review

XHELI is a great source for every type of helicopter available on the market. The Big Lama is offered as a larger version of the original Lama which was designed for outdoor flying and stability.

Splash

Introduction

Main Rotor Diameter:460mm
Weight:410 g
Length:510mm
Width:110mm
Length:260mm
Servos:7.5 g digital
Transmitter:Digital Proportional FM 4-Channel
Receiver and ESC:3 in 1 controller with gyro
Battery:11.1V 800 mAh LiPo
Motor:Dual 370 brushed
Manufacturer:E Sky
Available From:XHELI
MSRP:$149.95

E Skyís Big Lama is driven by two 370 motors and is controlled with digital servos. Weighing in at about 410 grams, it seems larger than it weighs; The large News 12 body brightly painted in blue, orange, red and white is deceiving. As a coaxial, it is stable and designed to fly in some windy conditions. The Lama is built to fly well, and in my opinion and experience, itís a pretty durable helicopter.

Kit Contents

Packaged for the flyer on the go, the Big Outdoor Lama comes in a nice box suitable for transporting to the field or park. Included in the kit is a charger capable of either AC or DC power so you can charge right at the field.

Kit Includes:

• Flight tested helicopter
  • Lipo battery
  • AC/DC Charger
  • 4-channel transmitter
  • Transmitter batteries
  • Parts book and instruction manual
  • Flight simulator software
  • USB cable for simulator
  • Extra blades
  • Optional Accessories
  • Anti-Crash Kit - $6

Disassembly

Rather than discuss the assembly I thought I might take the Big Lama apart so you can see what is inside. To begin, letís take a quick tour around the Big Lama.

The disassembly starts by removing the fly bar, which a small set screw holds. Use a good quality screw driver the PB Swiss drivers are shown.

After you have the blades removed you will need to flex the body over the rotor head and remove it completely. I thought the flexibility of the body shell was great, and it never seemed to be brittle.

Completion

Getting ready to fly requires nothing more that charging the battery. I did fly some indoors and made slight adjustments to the gain and yaw. It is important before you go outside to make sure your hover is as stable as possible. If you need to make adjustments to center your trims, do so through the 3:1 controller. Make very slight changes and then see if they help.

Flying

The Big Lama is easy to fly given the influence wind has over your control. I suggest you learn in very calm to slight winds and get your stick movement and coordination correct before really testing the Lamaís wind capabilities.

Is This For a Beginner?

I thought the Big Lama flew well, and it would work fine for a beginner. But there is no warning light to let you know the battery is getting low, and it would just fall out of the air. The inputs were quick as I would have expected from the digital servos. Pitch I thought was really quick, and in a head wind sometimes not enough forward stick was available. The transmitter has no expo function so you pretty much have to learn to fly with very slight stick movements.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

The video was shot with some wind. You can see the Big Lama weather vaneing and fighting to move into the wind.

Downloads

Conclusion

As the price of helicopters comes down, the Big Lama is in my comfort range. The RTF comes with extras, and along with the simulator, you can learn to fly helicopters and have some great fun. Donít just go out and light the candle without working your way into a good solid hover.

Overall the Big Lama is durable as heck. I tanked it not once, but several times, and the body cracked, but was easily fixed with tape on the interior. Flight times were about 6 to 8 minutes.

The Good:

• Size and wonderful color
  • Durable
  • Lots of extras
  • Available in 2.4 GHz

The Not-So-Good:

• No low battery warning
  • Simulator is not very high quality
  • Additional instructions were written for different helicopter
Last edited by Angela H; Apr 14, 2009 at 03:22 PM..

Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:11 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Great review Angela H, im guessing it does better than most coaxils in wind? They are for more inside, but i guess a beginner that wants to learn and still wants to fly outside a little bit would be good for this heli. They will probably come out with mods like the extended inner shaft for improved outdoor flight, and maybe a shorter flybar.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:22 PM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
622 Posts
Great review!
Cool heli

Quad;Angela H is the editor,78Dave is the author.

Tim
_HypnoToad_ is offline Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:55 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
This is a really Cool looking Heli. I'm thinking about getting one. Is the 2.4 GHz model available at XHeli? (I couldn't find it on the site.) I'm also wondering if both versions have a 3in1 with a separate receiver. Could I install a Spektrum AR6100 for use with my DX6i?

Joe
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:04 PM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I think they really have to get big and heavy to deal with the wind well. Nitros and the like. This is big, but not really heavy as you might guess. It certainly has the ability to handle wind, but the pilot has to be capable as well.

Here is the link to the 2.4

http://www.xheli.com/2esbigoulaco.html

I see no reason why you could not install the AR6100. The 3:1 would go in to the 3rd (or throttle) channel right?
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:29 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Hi Dave:

Nice detail in your reviews as usual. On both of the coax helis recently reviewed, I see that the videos basically show up and down flight. Are these copters capable of other types of flight?

Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:55 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Of course. I featured the hover simply becuase these are entry level heli's and if you can't hover you can't fly. I thought a different perspective might show others that both hover very easily. Both fly beyond the hover very well too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:32 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankera 53
Great review!
Cool heli

Quad;Angela H is the editor,78Dave is the author.

Tim
Doh! I never even looked who the author was
Nice review Dave!
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:53 PM
York, ne
Joined Feb 2005
599 Posts
Nice heli, but that antenna! I'd hang a person-carrying basket from the bottom and make it look intentional.
melcrose is offline Find More Posts by melcrose
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:15 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
When I first started flying it I thought I was having some glitches so I let it go. I just wonder about wrapping the antenna.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
Blueabyss
Florida
Joined May 2006
68 Posts
Heli

Very Very Good review.
Blueabyss is offline Find More Posts by Blueabyss
Last edited by Blueabyss; Apr 20, 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: encouragement
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,027 Posts
Blue.....sounding a bit too blue. 78Dave was pretty clear he was flying in a bit of gust. I just got one of these two days ago. They are superb if the winds are lower than about 4-5 mph. Definitely too big for indoors.

This is my first helo, and thus a big coax. I must say when there's no breeze it is extraordinarily stable and easy to learn. I haven't crashed yet.

Mine also just suddenly starts a big sink when it's done. There isn't any warning about it; it doesn't quit, but it lets you know it doesn't want to fly anymore. Thus if you aren't watching the clock you had best stay below 10 feed altitude.

I'm thrilled with it and I specifically didn't get the 2.4GHz because I want to put a camera on it.
dapple63 is online now Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,027 Posts
Follow on - question.

I've had two of the "A" blades fracture without striking anything. I've checked tracking on the blades and seems fine.

Maybe had a couple of harder than normal landings. Anybody have any ideas?

If it keeps up I'll go through a bunch of blades.
dapple63 is online now Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:14 AM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
718 Posts
Do you have a video of when the lama flying high?
lrplin is offline Find More Posts by lrplin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by lrplin; Apr 20, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:52 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Low battery indicator:
Take a look at the LED light when giving a slow punch out.
My Esky Lama V3 will turn red when the battery is low.
I'm not 100% certain but I think it turns red when it's giving max power.
In my Lama V3, if I"m hovering and I just give it one notch of up, and it turns red, it's time to land!
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic