HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Yeah, found the instructions a little vague in some spots, and the manual wasn't printed clearly at all, but it could be my eyes starting to go....
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2009, 09:00 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
Well I gave in to temptation and started it tonight - good quality, well presented kit, instructions could do with some expansion in detail here and there, but hey...
I have the tailplane and elevators reinforced and hinged and the spars CA'd in the wings so far.

Mike
Good going Mike. Almost there

I found the doco a pain to use. I did some steps just by looking at the part of the plane pictured and looking for suitable pieces to use! I got it built and found a few "spare" pieces. I had a guy at last months indoor fly with heaps of flat depron and epp plane scratchbuilding experience notice rightaway that I didn't have struts on the top of the tail. When I got home I looked at pictures of other Piagets and sure enough, he was right.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Mar 12, 2009, 03:28 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
I have mine build now.
The doco is really not the best, and the printed version still bad to read.
I used the pdf doco and the photos of this blog:
http://flightsim.velociworks.com/200...am-flying.html

Looks really great this plane.
Test flight will be at the weekend.

weight of the plane:
~140g without electrics and much CA glue
~215g without lipo
~250g with 2s 620mAh lipo
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Mar 12, 2009, 04:53 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Yes I have been using the online PDF http://www.techonehobby.com/upfile/p...70_4203478.pdf

As is often the case, if it wasn't for this forum, I would have been trying to slot the hinges into the middle of the foam instead of on top, you just can't see from even the colour document.
I am building this stock, but can't help feeling that the 1mm thick carbon strip is overkill, 0.5mm would have been fine I'm sure.

Has anyone else fitted my favourite motor, the Hacker A10-9L in this? This is what I'm planning with a GWS 8 x 4.3 SF.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 12, 2009, 08:07 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
I used the motor that came with the plane. Puts out about 50 watts, not very impressive....I'm thinking about swapping it out for one of my Little Screamer Purple Peril's. The weight is close but the LSPP is a longer motor, so it'll move the CG forward a bit. I could always move the motor mount back, but that'll mean some major work and I'm generally lazy. Maybe I'll just live with it for a while and see if I can endure the lack of power.

Wish I'd looked at that PDF before I started building, it would've sped things up a bit. Same as the printed manual, but the pictures are much clearer.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:01 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,922 Posts
Piaget Indoor Video

Here's a video from last night's indoor flying. It's closer to 3d freestyle flying than pattern, but I'll post it here rather than the generic Techone thread in the 3D Flying forum as I see more familiar faces on this thread .

http://www.vimeo.com/3685523
Last edited by groovejet; Mar 16, 2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:43 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Thats great Groovejet, I hope to be flying in a hall that big soon
Carrying on construction with mine, the instructions are poor and I have chosen to build it in a slightly different manner than they suggest, i.e. I like to build the bottom half first and add all the bracing whilst its still flat on the board.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:24 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
here is my first flight with the Piaget.

Techone Piaget (2 min 6 sec)
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:15 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
nice vid
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:32 PM
Joined Oct 2004
69 Posts
I ordered one last week, should be here soon. This is my first foamy and had a question.

Can you mill EPP? I was wondering if I could mill the main wing.
Kregan is offline Find More Posts by Kregan
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:06 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregan
I ordered one last week, should be here soon. This is my first foamy and had a question.

Can you mill EPP? I was wondering if I could mill the main wing.
It flies fine at its target weight. The wing is only 5mm thick, so with EPP being quite floppy I don't think that milling it would be as beneficial as milling depron. Coonak got his one to 190g AUW without milling the wing. Perhaps look at saving weight on the components and that may get you to your target weight.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:34 AM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
Looks like BPHobbies is carrying a few of the other Techone kits. Not the Piagent yet but who knows.

Having a little trouble trimming mine out. Seems to want to roll hard when inverted. I'm wondering if I'm creating a twist when down elevator is applied. Nothing noticeable on the bench. Anyone have any thoughts?
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
I emailed BP and learned they did not bring it in this "round". Perhaps next time?
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:29 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
I've turned my Piaget into a light wind outdoor 3D plane.

I added a couple of SFG's to the underside of the wing using the pattern from the ones on the top of the wing, no sign of tip stalls now. For batteries I'm using some old TP730's 3S and I propped the motor down to an 8X4 GWS DD. Flies great! Definitely gets pushed around with a light breeze but it has plenty of power now. The CG is a little forward for my tastes, and I can't really move it back because the battery is butting up against the LG legs. I may add a nickel to the tail, but I hate adding weight. I could probably use bigger throws on the elevator, so I may do a bit of cutting and add larger servo horns. Also, I may take the brakes off of the ailerons to see how it handles, but overall, it's flies very well.

For the $$, it's tough to beat.

Bob
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:44 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
How long does it take for it to arrive by Air Parcel?
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven