HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
In case bit hasn't been mentioned already, make sure you use lots of expo on the transmitter, at least at first. Start with 60% or 70%. That'll make a 3D plane more manageable.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:51 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Dec 2008
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
I have an APC 8x3.8 slow fly. Admittedly, I used some components I had versus buying plane specific items. I'll swap some out and try again. Thanks!
Hello

just finishes my piaget, foam-tac works great , tested everything
and i saw i have to make an V- shape servo arm for the aileron , because of
wildly assymetrical throws (up/down) , you use 2 ailerons servo so you dont have that problem
uses 8x4.3 prop with stock motor C20, draws 11Amp at 2S
next the maiden

how is yours doing ?
jaccies is offline Find More Posts by jaccies
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:09 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
823 Posts
Congratulations!
Still working on the optimal set up. Dual aileron servos are fine but weight is going in the wrong direction. Three flight attempts...no.true "flights". Foam Tac remains my friend while I learn 3D!!
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:48 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,226 Posts
Guys, I'm hoping somebody with some experience on this plane can help a relative "newbie" when it comes to electric foamies? I'm building a Piaget up for indoor use, would like to keep it as light as possible - and still get reasonable flight times with it? Is this possible, maybe 6-7 minutes? I've never flown indoors, or with anything this small. My recent background is much bigger gas powered stuff.

I plan on using the original motor, but willing to swap that out as well if it's justifiable/in my best interest. I have nothing regarding batteries to "try". Hoping to find a known good setup that can get me far enough to continue on my own? Thanks much for anything that might help. -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:38 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
Hi Al

Small Lipo packs are so cheap nowadays that long flight times aren't really an issue. I have a bag of them (360 and 460 mAh) that I got from Hobby King 3 years ago and don't bother taking a charger to indoor meetings any more!

Anyway, my Piaget is reasonably light at just over 200 grams with Rhino 460 2S pack. That gives 4-5 mins of 3D indoors. I'm using:

Hacker A10-9L motor with GWS SF 8x4.3 prop
Jeti Advance Mini 8A esc
Schulze 535 35 MHz rx with case removed and Azarr antenna
3xHS50 servos

Hope that helps.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,226 Posts
Bill,
Guess I hadn't considered a bag of batteries? I see what you mean though. Good point...

Here's what I'm thinking as of the moment, the results of a lot of reading. Maybe I can get your opinion?

HK (Mystery) 12a ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26496

2s 500mah 31g LiPo
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20649

DS65HB Digital High Speed Servo 6.5g/1.5kg/.07sec
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=30706

Turnigy A2204-14 as an option to the stock motor? I've seen it mentioned as something that might work well?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21862

Thank much! -Al
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Particularly fast servos are wasted on the Piaget. Its control surfaces are large and floppy. Survivability and low 'n' slow are its fortes, but not precision or high speed rolling or anything like that.

Digital high speed servos will be totally masked by the Piaget's "flying pool noodle" characteristics

HXT900 on the ailerons and 2x HXT 500 on the rudder and elevator is perfectly adequate.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:27 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
Al, I don't think that motor would be powerful enough. Check the spec
Quote:
Great for small 3D planes weighing around 6 oz
6 oz is 170 grams and your Piaget will be over 200.

Pack & ESC look ok, as above you don't need digital servos though. I'm using ancient Hitec HS50s in mine and they are fine.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:49 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
The Piaget is to heavy for the Turnigy 2204-14T.
This motor seems to be identical to the T-Motor T2006 that I used myself and it has a lot of power and great efficency. It's designed for the GWS 8x4 DD prop.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1900KV.html
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,226 Posts
Yup you guys are right! I was looking at the line that read "An excellent motor for planes up to 220 grams (8 oz) using 2 li-poly cells." Missed the one regarding the lower number for 3D. So, thoughts on this 2205?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ss_motor_.html

Realistically, how hard is it to build this plane light? Does 220g sounds like a fair target? Or no? This will be my second foamie, the first being a 43" Tech One Yak, built mostly with thin and medium CA with a little Welder here and there?

I guess I wasn't really looking at the speed of the servos. I'm an old fart, realize that a slow one is going to be faster than I am! I was looking past the speed and the fact they're digital to the weight and torque output? It's lighter than the 900 with the same torque? 3 of these will weigh 19.5 grams, a 900 and 2 500's will weigh 19 grams? The upside for the .5 gram penalty being quite a bit more torque available in the tail? Point made/taken on the "pool noodle/flop" factor. I don't know enough about this to factor that in just yet though...

Thanks big time for the help. Much appreciated! -Al
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
I'm using the Power HD D65HB in my Crack Yak Lite and it is good servos. Very fast and strong with excellent centering so they will be great for your Piaget.

The motor in your link, 2205C, is for 3 cells with 9x5 prop and is not suitable for a light 2 cells setup like the Piaget.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,226 Posts
Here's the HK specs. Not very good editing on their part. There should have been a space between the 3s and 2s results...

2205C 1400Kv Brushless motor
Weight: 28g
Shaft: 3mm

Spec.
GWS9050 @3S
Max Amp: 9.5A
Max Power: 121.5W
Thrust: 497g

APC8x8.3 @2S (Pretty sure they mean 8x3.8?)
Max Amp: 6.5A
max Power: 58W
Thrust: 349g
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
I've not tried it, so I can't be sure of the performance, but the KV is too low and the weight is to high. The quality seems to be lacking also. I would look elsewhere.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
I used the 2204-14T in my lightened Piaget and it handled the load very well. Mine was modified to make it better at F3P style flying rather than 3d. There are photos posted earlier in this thread. The 2204 pulled fine out of a hover using the 8x4.3 gws prop. I also have a 2204 in the epp copy I made of my Donatas Designs depron Sultimate. My epp version of the model weighs 170 grams with a 2s 360 Rhino battery. If you keep total weight in mind the 2204-14T makes a good inexpensive motor.
EnzoFalconi is offline Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:55 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,491 Posts
Turnigy motor.

I use the motor on all my indoor planes.
Great motor and it handles 3 cell batt without smoking, if you only use 8x4.
Go for 460- 500 mha and 3 cell, then you will have plenty of power and good flight time.
I use 10 to 12 amp ESC on my planes
In this video I use the motor and 3 cell and it also pulling a 260 gram glider.

Indoor towing (2 min 19 sec)

If you go to 1:10 in this video, we go full thottle with 3 cell for long periode.
(All the combat running this motor.)
RC, indoor combat. (1 min 26 sec)

Cheers
S
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN