HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:51 AM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
The old rubber orings were ok for a while but now many are using 1/4'' diameter latex tubing cut into 1/4'' rings or slightly thinner. I started using it last year but people have probably been using it for some time before i tried it when some came with a plane. It can be a little difficult to apply for some on tiny outrunners but a small screw driver and some patience makes it worth the effort,some sell a simple tool as well to get them on tiny outrunners. I dont think ive lost a single prop in flight using the latex tubing in small epp planes but did once in a larger techone plane with about 200watts.. i ended up doubling them up and they hold props on well in 200 watt applications to for me now. Well worth the buck or so its costs out here for a foot of the latex tubing.. works much better than orings and you can easily cut 30 latex prop rings or more out of each foot of tubing.
Thanks. I'll look into sourcing some of that stuff locally, though I can't readily visualise what the tubing looks like. This sort of thing?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10329

Being silicone, I'd imagine it would stretch far more than the rubber O-rings, and you said latex so that's presumably not it.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 10:16 AM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
Guys great news, I know I should have posted this earlier but I have been to busy fixing it up. Remember when my piaget got stuck in a tree well guess what, hurricane irene blew it down, its in almost perfect condition, except for the huge spider that tried to call it home but thats another story
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:24 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Thanks. I'll look into sourcing some of that stuff locally, though I can't readily visualise what the tubing looks like. This sort of thing?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10329

Being silicone, I'd imagine it would stretch far more than the rubber O-rings, and you said latex so that's presumably not it.
The diameter of that bungee is a bit to small,its probably the same as the diameter used for sling shots aka wrist rockets here. I tried sling shot diameter tubing before i found the larger diameter thats commonly used now and it did work but was much more difficult to stretch over a tiny outrunner hub and prop,held the prop on much tighter.. maybe a bit to tight defeating the purpose of a prop saver slightly and like i said.. MUCH more difficult to stretch over the tiny outrunner hubs. Some sites sell it precut at a reasonable price,heres a link to some.. maybe a search for Prop saver bands will turn up some through local vendors to you. They come in a variety of colors online precut but at home centers ive only found it in one color.. Local dive shops probably have a better selection as well,heres some from a dive shop online Latex surgical tubing,Its referred to by a few names but its all pretty much the same just different diameters being used for different purposes.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2011, 01:46 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,019 Posts
You can buy silicone tube from most hobby shops .. it's used for connecting up exhausts on IC ('gas') engines. I also use slices of that in place of O rings now.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:42 PM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbudz223 View Post
Guys great news, I know I should have posted this earlier but I have been to busy fixing it up. Remember when my piaget got stuck in a tree well guess what, hurricane irene blew it down, its in almost perfect condition, except for the huge spider that tried to call it home but thats another story
LOL.............i think the spider want to ask you any vacancy as pilot......LOL

anyway, glad to hear you get your plane back...........
Meez is online now Find More Posts by Meez
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
...Latex surgical tubing[/URL],Its referred to by a few names but its all pretty much the same just different diameters being used for different purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
You can buy silicone tube from most hobby shops .. it's used for connecting up exhausts on IC ('gas') engines. I also use slices of that in place of O rings now.
Thanks Get Real and Bill. I'll experiment with a few products from local scuba shops, and I think I've actually got some exhaust hose somewhere as well.

I really am very, very pleased with this plane! The scene from this morning:

<me, opening the front door holding a DX6i and a Piaget>: "Honey! I just managed to do a rolling harrier, sort of!!!"

<wife, looking harrassed by older child who's 3 going on 16, and by a baby that wants to eat non-stop>: "Great. I'm ecstatic about your rolling Harriet..."

<me>:"Harrier."

<wife>:"Whatever. You're late. You said you'd be back by 9am."

It was worth it though

After a couple of weeks of pushing myself to fly in stronger winds than I'm accustomed to, and having to constantly fight the plane to keep it doing what I want, this morning I put 6 packs through it in calm conditions and discovered that I'd made progress. Nothing others would be likely to notice, but just a bunch of little personal triumphs here and there, maneouvers I couldn't do before, or at least not without sweating...

My Piaget can shrug off a beating, which is just as well. Part of it is down to Uhu Por. That stuff is magic. Most of the joints I'd glued with (quality) CA eventually broke from an overdose of ground and brittleness. The Uhu Por joins are all intact though. Its flexibility really helps.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:15 PM
United States, MD, Williamsport
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Got my HK Piaget last week - read the threads - took my time building.

Used Welders and CA for the build. Maybe 1/4oz

This one is built for outdoor only. Unfortunately it came out a Pig. 9.4oz with 900mah 2s.

HK supplied motor
20 amp ESC
3 SG90 servos
7.4 900mah
Props - 8x4dd - 9x5dd

Failed to fly 3 times with 8x4. made it about 10 feet and flopped on the ground. Popped the wing bracing loose on the last attempt.
Back inside for some CA and a prop change.
Back to the 9x5. Launched and watched it climb Nose high, almost vertical. Could not get it to level off. Acted like the CG was way back, but I did Check it several times before maiden.
A breeze pushed it over the back neighbors yard as I struggled to get it under control. Just as I got the nose down and attempted to get it back a big pine said Game over and stole the plane. Thank goodness for long swimming pool poles because the plane was a good 25ft up in the tree.
Recovery damage was limited to (3) popped hinges (2)loose Wing Supports and (1) missing Wheel assembly.
Found the wheel and Spat and promptly ruined it while CAing it back on. Oh well, the wheels don't really need to roll.
10 minutes, CA and kicker and all is well again.
Sooo........... Off I went to the farm field just down the road.

Long Story short - After 3 batteries, I love flying this plane. It won't do much of anything I have seen others doing.....yet, but that may just be my dumb thumbs.
Loops inside and out are easy. Kinda of did a few KE passes - lol I like the way it rolls.

Think I'll give the 8x4 another try in the morning in the big field. Looks like it will be a while before I can fly in any small area.
crxess is offline Find More Posts by crxess
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:59 PM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
712 Posts
fun flying with Piaget.............

Funfly Raya @ Wetland Putrajaya (4 min 16 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Sorry to hear this. It seems like you were not yet ready to fly a 3D plane.

Fishing rod might help. I have seen a few guys at a local field use it with great success many times.
thats gotta be big fish ur catching if u use a 200' fishing rod
lol
using a weight instead of a hook would be a great idea! dont know how easy it would be but, fishing for plane might be fun
sfactor1 is offline Find More Posts by sfactor1
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:24 AM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,464 Posts
Decided to put my old Piaget to good use again.

Just ordered some parts.

C2404 1900kv Outrunner
HK 12A BlueSeries ESC
3x 500MaH 2S Turnigy Lipo, and I have a Rhino 2s 360mah & 2s 610mah lying around I could use as well
HXT900 for aileron. HXT500's for Elevator, Rudder
GWS DD8X4 Props

I trimmed the airframe to lose some unneeded weight. The empty airframe currently weighs in at 85grams. I aim to keep it under 175grams AUW.

Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Hi. I am looking at one of these for my birthday. Would you reccomend one of these to some one who has never flown 3d before except on a sim? I can fly the phoenix scanner easily though. I am looking at this (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8472). Also what esc and battery would you use from hobby king for it? I am looking for a cheap esc and battery from them. I have a 9gram servo ant two 5 gram and two 9 grams aswell.
Thanks in advance.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:48 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
Hi. I am looking at one of these for my birthday. Would you reccomend one of these to some one who has never flown 3d before except on a sim? I can fly the phoenix scanner easily though. I am looking at this (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8472). Also what esc and battery would you use from hobby king for it? I am looking for a cheap esc and battery from them. I have a 9gram servo ant two 5 gram and two 9 grams aswell.
Thanks in advance.
Yes. Get use to making sure you let off the throttle when things go wrong, and don't worry about using some glue to repair. I've seen these come back from looking totalled and be very useable. This is a very forgiving platform and is even slightly heavy enough to be used outdoors with even a little wind. Plan on 3S lipo for outdoors, though. <650mA. For indoors, 2S on 400mA max is ok.
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Alright, which esc would you use? Is the reccomended 18a alright?
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
Alright, which esc would you use? Is the reccomended 18a alright?
Personally, I'm using the stock motor that comes with Hobbyking's Piaget kits, a 12A Plush ESC, 2S 450mAh batteries, and GWS 8x4 DD props on a prop saver. I've never felt any need for 3S or for a bigger prop, and I've always flown my Piaget outdoors, even in significant wind (a great way to get your 3D bearings, by the way!).

Even 2S with an 8x4 is sufficient to reach "flutter speed" in level flight. Hence, any more power is just wasted IMHO. It doesn't need to go fast - quite the opposite. The idea is to go as low as possible and as slow as possible - in every conceivable orientation, and then some
Old May 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
712 Posts
we having so much fun with it..................

Wetland 22 April 2012 Nex5N (2 min 17 sec)