Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 04, 2009, 09:12 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
I think my plane is waiting for me at the post office. Any helpful hints related to the build?

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2009, 11:05 AM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
I think my plane is waiting for me at the post office. Any helpful hints related to the build?

Bob
I enjoyed building mine. Pretty straight forward. Ended up using Ultimate RC Foam Glue. Worked pretty well. Haven't finished, waiting to cut out a different motor mount. Just be careful with the CF rod, not a lot extra.

Noll
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2009, 11:12 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Thanks, I have plenty of CF rod lying around, just in case....
Old Mar 05, 2009, 12:26 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,899 Posts
Quote:

Bob
When gluing the top half of the fuselage onto the shock plate, don't assume that it will align itself just by poking the tabs into the slots. I did and noticed once the CA was all set that it was horribly twisted. I ended up cutting the whole fuselage top free and regluing. I've only built a few profile planes and they either had 10mm EPP which didn't have this problem or they were depron which doesn't flop around like 5mm EPP does.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Mar 05, 2009, 01:16 AM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
im getting my paget soon and i still cant decide on either 3 2s 350mah or 2 2s 800mah
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Mar 05, 2009, 01:31 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
im getting my paget soon and i still cant decide on either 3 2s 350mah or 2 2s 800mah
What motor are you going to use? If you're planning to use the provided one then 2S is the way to go. Something like 2S500 or a bit lighter should be ideal.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 04:18 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,169 Posts
It looks like that Techone Piaget and Technone Gent both belong to the 200g+ category. Isn't this category too heavy for indoor flying but too light for outdoor flying?

I've got an impression that the AUWs of the latest generation of F3P planes are in the neighborhood of 150 grams.
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Mar 05, 2009, 06:55 AM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
one of each and try them out
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Mar 05, 2009, 08:14 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda
It looks like that Techone Piaget and Technone Gent both belong to the 200g+ category. Isn't this category too heavy for indoor flying but too light for outdoor flying?

I've got an impression that the AUWs of the latest generation of F3P planes are in the neighborhood of 150 grams.
They are less than 150 gms, but 200gms + is flyable indoors for sport but not competition.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 08, 2009, 05:04 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
So I finally got mine built and put in a couple of flights in front of my house. I put on the SFG's but not the brakes, I'll be putting those on later today. Anyway, it flew very well. Hovers couldn't be easier, torque rolled easily, aileron rolls were nice and fast, rudder turns were pretty flat, couldn't do much more, I didn't have a lot of room....

Couple of things: The motor/esc/battery/prop combo needs work. I used the the motor that came with the plane, they also supplied a GWS DD 9x5 prop, I supplied a HC 10amp super simple ESC, and a 700 2 cell I had lying around. Not much power at all. I could pull out of a hover, but it wasn't great. I may need some newer batteries or maybe the ESC needs to be changed out for a better model. It also could be that I've been spoiled by flying with 3 cell planes..

Overall, a very nice flying plane. I still can't believe how easy it is to hover and torque roll.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:53 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
I managed to get in another flight during lunch, and I have to say, this thing flies nice. Very smooth all around. Managed a little KE flight and it was pretty easy. Hard to tell if it pulled much one way or another because there was a slight breeze blowing. Did some nice round loops, 1/2 reverse cubans. I can hardly wait for a calm day or maybe I'll take a day off from work and try it out in the local sports dome.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Mine has arrived, quality looks very nice

Mike
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:54 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,899 Posts
Quote:
I managed to get in another flight during lunch, and I have to say, this thing flies nice. Very smooth all around. Managed a little KE flight and it was pretty easy. Hard to tell if it pulled much one way or another because there was a slight breeze blowing. Did some nice round loops, 1/2 reverse cubans. I can hardly wait for a calm day or maybe I'll take a day off from work and try it out in the local sports dome.
Glad to hear you're liking it Bob. Based on my first flying session with the Piaget at last month's indoor meet, I also feel that it's a very nice flying plane. The next indoor meet is only 4 days away. I spent some time last night soldering plugs onto some batteries that arrived from Hobby City so I now have 10 batteries dedicated to the Piaget and the Space Rit. That should allow me to fly these two for a bit .

Mike, do you have some free time to build yours? Please don't let the kit sit there for as long as your CST Katana kit did
Old Mar 11, 2009, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet
Mike, do you have some free time to build yours? Please don't let the kit sit there for as long as your CST Katana kit did
Well not really, it could languish like the Katana, however we have a 50/50 possibility on a much bigger indoor venue and if that comes off, I may just drop the Inspire 60 and slot in the Piaget

Mike
Old Mar 11, 2009, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Well I gave in to temptation and started it tonight - good quality, well presented kit, instructions could do with some expansion in detail here and there, but hey...
I have the tailplane and elevators reinforced and hinged and the spars CA'd in the wings so far.

Mike