HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2009, 08:19 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet
I got my Piaget finished today in time for my first session of indoor flying in 4 months. I am really happy with its flight characteristics. I prefer the way it flies without the airbrakes as I felt that it was too draggy for my tastes with them fitted. I was planning to do a back to back comparison with my current favourite indoor plane the Hokusei Space Rit, but I had a case of dumb thumbs and drilled the Space Rit into the floor very hard right on the nose. It's torn up the front end quite a bit and it'll take a bit of work to repair. This meant that I spent quite a bit of time flying the Piaget. It's a very smooth flying plane and I really enjoyed it. It is so easy to hover, knife edge and torque roll. I would say that it's in the same league as the Space Rit, which means I think it's great. I'll compare them some more at next month's indoor flying.
Hey groovejet, have you had a chance to compare the Piaget to the Space Rit?

I just went to a somewhat local RC show near NY hoping that one of the vendors would have a Piaget, but no luck. HC just got some in stock, so when I got home I placed an order with them. Now I just have to be patient for a week or two until it arrives......

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:45 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
Hey groovejet, have you had a chance to compare the Piaget to the Space Rit?

I just went to a somewhat local RC show near NY hoping that one of the vendors would have a Piaget, but no luck. HC just got some in stock, so when I got home I placed an order with them. Now I just have to be patient for a week or two until it arrives......

Bob
Hi Bob,

Glad to hear that you picked up a Piaget. I'm confident that you'll be very happy with it. I won't be comparing the Piaget to the Space Rit until the next indoor meet in 3 weeks time. They both fly very well, so I am unsure which one I will prefer overall. The Piaget is much cheaper, but If I recall correctly the Space Rit required less effort to complete so that makes up some of the difference.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:50 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Stock motor draws 15.24A with 8x3.8 prop and a 3S pack. Wow. It quickly drops to under 13A after just a couple seconds of WoT. 2S draws 10.4A peak.

Jeff
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Last edited by Jhondra; Feb 24, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:02 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
It is worth mentioning that you really need a pretty long aileron arm for this to work really well. The angle on the control horns doesn't quite intercept in toward the plane enough, and I bent the wire control just as it exits the carbon fiber part of the rod so it would line up better, but that makes it want to flex out rather than push straight (knew that wasn't going to work real well). So, I just went back with solid metal push rods on this last itteration. The throws are still skewed due to how the angle intercepts a straight servo arm (a LOT more down aileron than up in the final extreme throws), but it is much more solid. It ultimately would be better to have an aileron arm that was about a 120' V, rather than a simple 180' straight arm. Seems like that would be a common issue on these 3D foamies with a single aileron servo? Maybe there is something that this is GOOD for (like providing more up lift than down force)? Seems bad to me for such a symetric plane. You could reduce the effect a lot moving the aileron forward more to reduce the angle of incidence too, I suppose. Please, someone comment on this?

If you are using the HXT 900 for an aileron servo, then you will want to get a Dubro 932 control arm kit, which should fit. Also, if you are risking using HXT 500 servo for aileron, you want Dubro 930, or you can probably use the really long control arm from a Hitec HS-55 kit (I'm pretty sure that fits).

I just ordered another one of these planes from Hobby City. Not sure why, but I just love it too much, and I really want to do another build just to work on the weight and not put nearly as much glue on.

The frame tends to want to flex/crack/split the horizontal part of the fuse right behind the wing with any hit (tail wips around). I think I'll plan to put a short length of CF strip into both sides for about a 10-12" run similar to what is in the main wing. Another thing, don't bother putting the foam wheel pants on.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:18 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Got video up of a couple flights with the Piaget (finally), even though it was a little windy. http://flightsim.velociworks.com

Also, here it is on youtube, but lower quality.

Piaget EPP Hobby City Plane (6 min 2 sec)

and

Piaget R/C EPP foam plane (2 min 14 sec)

Cheers,

Jeff
Last edited by Jhondra; Feb 24, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:56 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi.
I like this plane, but I would like to buy another, better motor. What is the best from Hobbycity to buy (2S or 3S)?
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:13 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss
Hi.
I like this plane, but I would like to buy another, better motor. What is the best from Hobbycity to buy (2S or 3S)?
Really? Better motor than the one that comes with it? I sure like the one it has. But, you can try the Blue Wonder 24g 1300kv motor. I would use it with a 0950 prop and 3s.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2069

-Jeff
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:00 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra
Really? Better motor than the one that comes with it? I sure like the one it has. But, you can try the Blue Wonder 24g 1300kv motor. I would use it with a 0950 prop and 3s.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2069

-Jeff
Agree! The motor that comes with it, is more than adequate..

Mine weighs 195gr/6,9oz without the battery. That is no problem for indoorflying, which is what I use the plane for.

Did I mention that it crashes beautifully
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Last edited by kimhey; Feb 27, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:26 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi and thanks for replying.
I read that the motor/ESC/prop combo delivers more heat than pulling action.
So I will keep the stock motor. What ESC and prop to buy?
Best
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Mar 01, 2009, 05:54 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss
Hi and thanks for replying.
I read that the motor/ESC/prop combo delivers more heat than pulling action.
So I will keep the stock motor. What ESC and prop to buy?
Best
Takis
I'm very happy with the 9g Turnigy 10A ESC and the 8x3.8 prop is perfect for this motor and plane.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 09:34 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
According to the tracking info from HC, my Piaget is sitting in US Customs. Maybe they'll release it before June?

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:08 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
These are now available in the UK from AllFlight, must admit I'm tempted

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:58 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
These are now available in the UK from AllFlight, must admit I'm tempted

Mike
Hi Mike,

I was careless with the build and ended up with a relatively heavy plane, but it still flies very well. Perhaps get one and see if you can set a new benchmark light weight. I think that Coonak's effort of 190g AUW is very impressive, so he appears to be the man to beat .

I broke one of the LG legs on the first night, so I've added some weight to strengthen this area. I'm probably at 240g AUW now with a 2S500 20c. It's still fine for the somewhat large hall that I fly in, especially since I generally fly a 450g model like my Housei Primus in there as well .

BTW My Jazz is still in the box, as too is a DW Foamies Pro Yak 32 inch kit with milled wings and fuselage.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Mar 03, 2009, 04:23 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Hi Groovejet,

Yes I might just take up the challenge, I have one of the new Futaba 6004 3.8gm receivers now, which would help, I also use 360 2s packs, which is a bit more.
The weight is what worries me as generally I'm flying 150 gm models and the hall is not very big
The Jazz is a very nice model, but the foam is quite soft and vulnerable. Mine is looking very sad at the moment as one of my fellow flyers hit it, cut off some of the tailplane with his prop and the prop then cut one of my kevlar elevator pull-pull lines. You can imagine the result of the ensuing full down elevator
I'm a tad annoyed as I had just got this really sorted and trimmed out.

Mike
Old Mar 03, 2009, 12:09 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Well I couldn't resist the challenge, pressed the button and with 10% off, it cost me just over £30, not bad.
I'll eagerly await its arrival

Mike