SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:35 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
Backyard Flying

Had some warm weather.. 40 degrees. Wasnt very windy so i tryed the piaget somemore in the yard.. a little tight for my flying skill in the yard but it flew well for me and i know if i donk it off branches or the garage i can laugh and throw it back in the air . Liking this plane more and more.. would be nice to have a regular place to fly it indoors with a really ultra light set up .

Techonehobby Piaget Backyard Flying 2-8-2009 (5 min 55 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:41 AM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
does any one else have any videos? im thinking of getting one but i wanna see some indoor flying f3p or free style, or regular flying with rolling circles.
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:51 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
does any one else have any videos? im thinking of getting one but i wanna see some indoor flying f3p or free style, or regular flying with rolling circles.
Just thought id share the videos here because i have the plane,i wont post anymore videos here.. i dont fly indoor f3p sorry.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2009, 12:54 AM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
i like your videos of the piaget cause every time i see it raises my chances of me getting one so i can fly in my yard. I just wanna see a video how it flys indoor.
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Feb 09, 2009, 01:00 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,490 Posts
I just finished up my Piaget and as far as the construction goes, I am pleased. The build was pretty straightforward although the manual could be better. It often leaves out steps or neglects to tell you what piece to use where, but if you have built a similar plane before you will not have a problem. I also like the really lightweight plastic hinges. I built it using CA, Hot glue and Sumo glue. Anytime I had to glue EPP to EPP, I used very lightly spread Sumo glue. I used a tiny bit of CA to glue the carbon fiber rods into place and then used a small dab of hot glue at the ends of the CF rods. I found using CA and hot glue on the CF rods gives a strong but flexible hold. Just be careful you do not use too much hot glue and wipe off all excess so that you don’t add too much weight.

I bought my kit from Hobbycity and it came in good shape. Mine came with the 1100kv (or so they say) motor, but I swapped it out for the HXT 1500kv motor that Groovejet previously mentioned. Running that motor with a GWS 9x5EP prop I am peaking at 10.4A and 74 watts with a 2s 460 Zippy Rhino pack (10.5A and 77 watts on the 2s 750).

The plane came out to 6.5oz (183g) without battery, 7.5oz with the 460 2s pack and 8.1oz with the 750 2s pack. That is running a 10A Turnigy esc, spektrum AR6100 receiver, 2 Eflight R60 servos (tail) and a HXT 500 (ailerons), and the previously mentioned HXT 24g 1500kv motor.

I wont get it fly it for a few days until the rain and wind stop, but it was hovering in my garage at about 50% throttle and had decent pullout power. Not great, but decent for a 2s setup. I'll have to be gentle on the throttle considering 10.5A is pushing the entire setup, but I would rather do that then prop down and lose power.

I'll give a flight report (and hopefully video) in a few days.

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2009, 01:04 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real
Just thought id share the videos here because i have the plane,i wont post anymore videos here.. i dont fly indoor f3p sorry.
Naw, keep posting them. Even though you are flying outside (like I will be), people can still get an idea of how it flies from your videos. I would be curious if anyone will be able to build this plane and keep the weight in the 6oz range which would be a bit better for F3P I would think.

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2009, 01:48 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Jeff,

CoG measurements relative to the wing leading edge are usually done hard up against the fuselage (i.e. near the centre of the main wing). I'm not surprised that you've ended up prefering it further back than that. Some manufacturers give very conservative starting CoGs. Some just print them plain wrong.

4 minutes flight time on a 460mAh battery is very low if the motor is really a 1100kV one and you're running an 8x3.8 prop. Are the batteries new? Are you running flat out all the time? Your runtime suggests that your AVERAGE amp draw is about 7 amps and therefore makes me suspect that the kV of the motor from hobby city is a lot higher than 1100kV. For a 1100kV motor I would expect the PEAK amps to be around 4A for that prop.

Your runtime is consistent with the test results suggesting that the real kV is much higher than 1100kV and probably more than 2000 as reported a few posts ago. Interesting ......
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:11 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
I got my Piaget finished today in time for my first session of indoor flying in 4 months. I am really happy with its flight characteristics. I prefer the way it flies without the airbrakes as I felt that it was too draggy for my tastes with them fitted. I was planning to do a back to back comparison with my current favourite indoor plane the Hokusei Space Rit, but I had a case of dumb thumbs and drilled the Space Rit into the floor very hard right on the nose. It's torn up the front end quite a bit and it'll take a bit of work to repair. This meant that I spent quite a bit of time flying the Piaget. It's a very smooth flying plane and I really enjoyed it. It is so easy to hover, knife edge and torque roll. I would say that it's in the same league as the Space Rit, which means I think it's great. I'll compare them some more at next month's indoor flying.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:02 PM
china
Joined May 2008
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra
Anyone know the motor that is included in the Hobby City version? It says it is a Turnigy 1100kV, but not what current or model. I would like to know if the Turnigy 10A Plush is going to be enough (Hobby City page says 18A??? but that seems high)?

I REALLY want to try to get into this. Would build my own slofly, but this seems almost too cheap to pass up...

Jeff
Dear Jeff

the motor is 2050KV, and use 10A ESC is enough.
ann343128320 is offline Find More Posts by ann343128320
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,564 Posts
I think the Turnigy 12A would be a better choice.

It's only 5gm more and will give you a bit more headroom.
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:32 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomPC
I think the Turnigy 12A would be a better choice.

It's only 5gm more and will give you a bit more headroom.
A 10A ESC is plenty. Why add weight and cost?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:38 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
I have the 2050 kv motor, using 3cells lipo is no problem with 8x4 prop.

The motor handles well and is "like normal" warm after a flight. I have som 50-60 flights (and probably twice as many crashes...), with no motorissues so far. Have Also tested 9x5 on 2cells with good results.

Esc? SuperSimple 10

(is it the setup as good as my Axi 2205/54 with Castle creation 10? No, but more fun for each buck. The difference is in the "smoothness"/efficiency of the Axi).
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:42 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhey
I have the 2050 kv motor, using 3cells lipo is no problem with 8x4 prop.

The motor handles well and is "like normal" warm after a flight. I have som 50-60 flights (and probably twice as many crashes...), with no motorissues so far. Have Also tested 9x5 on 2cells with good results.

Esc? SuperSimple 10

(is it the setup as good as my Axi 2205/54 with Castle creation 10? No, but more fun for each buck. The difference is in the "smoothness"/efficiency of the Axi).
I think a 2050kv motor is with 3 cells and a 8x4 prop more than overloaded.

max. should be 2 cells and a 8x4 prop.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:13 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000
I think a 2050kv motor is with 3 cells and a 8x4 prop more than overloaded.

max. should be 2 cells and a 8x4 prop.
At full throttle, you are right my friend. But then again, most seldom use full power. If one does, it is only for a very short periode.

But I went down in the basement, and did some testing with my WattMeter..

All done with freshly charged 400mAh 20/30C , and full pwr for 5 seconds.

8x4 3cells 11.35 Amp/102 watt! 2cells 8,67 Amp/56.7 watt

9x5 2cells 10,68 Amp/68.2 watt.
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:44 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet
Jeff,

CoG measurements relative to the wing leading edge are usually done hard up against the fuselage (i.e. near the centre of the main wing). I'm not surprised that you've ended up prefering it further back than that. Some manufacturers give very conservative starting CoGs. Some just print them plain wrong.

4 minutes flight time on a 460mAh battery is very low if the motor is really a 1100kV one and you're running an 8x3.8 prop. Are the batteries new? Are you running flat out all the time? Your runtime suggests that your AVERAGE amp draw is about 7 amps and therefore makes me suspect that the kV of the motor from hobby city is a lot higher than 1100kV. For a 1100kV motor I would expect the PEAK amps to be around 4A for that prop.

Your runtime is consistent with the test results suggesting that the real kV is much higher than 1100kV and probably more than 2000 as reported a few posts ago. Interesting ......
Thanks. I still think it does a GREAT job with the 8x3.7 prop. I just got a "wattsup" meter, so I'll check the current draw. The manual says "mid wing" so, I don't know what that means (I'm more use to doing the CoG right up near fuse too), but if you do it half way out on the wing, because of the LE slope on this wing, it would put the CoG back quite a bit farther. /shrug.

So far, I've really been loving this plane. I personally like the spoilers a lot better than some, and it REALLY seems to have helped with tip stall a lot. I finally just glued them on permanant (they were starting to pull off in flight).

As I said before, I really had a pretty piss poor build with my AUW (no batteries) around 7.9oz, and I KNOW I used too much CA glue all over. Surprised how much weight that added. I also was using a neutron 6S Rx, and just got my GWS 4ch super cheap/light one in and shed just a little more. I'm so tempted to get another one of these planes on order just so I can try to build it again with less weight. I'm really happy with the motor that came with it. Plenty of power with a 3S for out doors, and seems really well matched with the 8x3.8 prop. Sounds like several have posted the motor really is more like a 2050kV motor, which puts it in a lot closer to the flight times I'm getting. And, no, I'm not wide open all the time (between half and 5/8ths most times), even out doors, though I do run some WOT while doing some fun bathtub stall turns and stuff back and forth. See someone has watt meter readings with a 2S around and an 8x4 prop (close to mine) running about 8-9A WOT, so makes the 6-7A you estimated for my flight times about right, average.

Jeff
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra