HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:41 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Anyone know the motor that is included in the Hobby City version? It says it is a Turnigy 1100kV, but not what current or model. I would like to know if the Turnigy 10A Plush is going to be enough (Hobby City page says 18A??? but that seems high)?

I REALLY want to try to get into this. Would build my own slofly, but this seems almost too cheap to pass up...

Jeff
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:15 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhondra
Anyone know the motor that is included in the Hobby City version? It says it is a Turnigy 1100kV, but not what current or model. I would like to know if the Turnigy 10A Plush is going to be enough (Hobby City page says 18A??? but that seems high)?

I REALLY want to try to get into this. Would build my own slofly, but this seems almost too cheap to pass up...

Jeff
I don't know what motor it is, but 10A will be plenty. You can get over 700g thrust out of an efficient 1100kV motor at 10 A. The included motor isn't likely to be that powerful, but that means the amps will be lower so a 10A ESC will be plenty. Also, 5g servos would appear to be more suitable than 9g ones for this plane if you're aiming for around 200-220g AUW. I don't trust the Hobby City specs for batteries, servos, ESCs etc. for this plane at all.
I have a Piaget on the way and as the motor didn't have any specs I picked up an HXT2730 1500kV as a backup as I know that will work well on 2 cell with a GWS 10x6 or 9x5 prop as that's what I run on my Hokusei Space Rit, an EPP 220g AUW plane.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Jan 14, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:30 PM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
groovejet,

Do you have a link for the HXT2730 you're going to use? Or is it this one? Also, any recommendation for a good 5g servo? I have one of these on order with out the power set.

Thanks!
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:59 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horton
groovejet,

Do you have a link for the HXT2730 you're going to use? Or is it this one? Also, any recommendation for a good 5g servo? I have one of these on order with out the power set.

Thanks!
Horton,

That's the motor. Just noticed they call it a HXM2730-1500 on their site. I was sure it's an HXT but maybe not. I'll be building my Piaget for indoor when it arrives, so I won't bother with 3 cell performance. That's why the 1500kV version is a little better for me than the 1300kV one. If you were going 3 cell the 1300kV would be ballistic on a GWS 9x5 (I run that on a 200-210g plane) or you could run the 1500kV one with a GWS 8x4 prop as an alternative with a little less performance.

The servos I'm going to use are HTX500 from Hobby City. They're the only 5g servos I've used though I've used lots of them and they work well if not used in situations where the torque demands are too high. 200g AUW with 2 aileron servos should be OK. If running only 1 aileron servo I'd put an HXT900 in. In 400g 3D foamies I always use 4 HXT900 servos as the HXT500s wouldn't last long with the way I fling them around.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:05 PM
learning to crash Heli's
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
744 Posts
Hi Scott,

Can't wait to see it, this might be my next indoor plane as well.

I will have to get building when I get back home from this trip, the Extra is almost done but there is still the Dancer to put together.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline Find More Posts by Thunder Fighter
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:02 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet
I have a Piaget on the way and as the motor didn't have any specs I picked up an HXT2730 1500kV as a backup as I know that will work well on 2 cell with a GWS 10x6 or 9x5 prop as that's what I run on my Hokusei Space Rit, an EPP 220g AUW plane.
That's funny, because I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and also went for the HXT2730-1300kV, as a potential replacement.

Anyway, it all got here, and I set it up with the turnigy 9g 10A ESC and got a couple different 2S lipos (from 460 to 800) and two 3s 610mA's for outdoors. Got some GWS 0947 and 0806's for that HXT2730-1300, so we'll see. Got enough HXT500 and 900's to try both...

This is my first light 3D foamie. I was really tempted to just build an EPPYak55 from scratch, but figured I should try one almost ready first. I'll try to post some build picks as I go. I suck at 3D flight compared to the guys that have video on you tube and stuff. We'll see.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:36 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Well, I just finished building my Piaget, from Hobby City. And, since it was still light outside, I couldn't bear to not run out and most likely crash it right into the ground, right away.

So, the build went pretty well, considering this is my first 3D foamie. A little vague on some of the instruction points, but took it slow and got it all done right. I probably used about 10x too much CA glue, but it should be stiff (maybe that isn't good...grin). It weighs in at 7.9oz without a battery (ouch). I'm not happy with how the aileron linkages work, and there is too much down throw compared to the up (they aren't matched). I used an HXT 900 for the ailerons, but HXT 500s for the rudder/elevator. Still can't decide what the motor is that is included with this, but a 2S pulls it pretty well with an 8x3.8 prop.

Went across the street and flew it for a couple minutes, and WOW. This is the funnest, and best behaved plane I've ever flown. This thing moves like it was on rails and just cuts through the air. Knife edges and waterfalls, almost like I knew what I was doing (I don't!). Had to adjust the rudder and elevator throws to 140%, but boy, this thing performs in the air. It was just a touch gusty, so it kept pushing down wind of me, and I would flip it over and run back upwind...boy, does this thing float. Pulled a couple nice hovers and almost split my face open I was grinning so hard. Did I mention how much I love this plane? This is going to be fun. I need a gym.

http://flightsim.velociworks.com/200...am-flying.html
Old Feb 01, 2009, 01:15 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Jhondra, I'm glad you really liked it because I've been debating whether or not to try this one. Once HC has them back in stock, I'll probably order one.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Feb 02, 2009, 08:12 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Videos

This is a durable plane,im not really an indoor pilot but this plane is still fun.

TechOneHobby Piaget Quick Night Flight 1-17-2009 (4 min 18 sec)

And some indoor messing around
Piaget Indoor Hovering 2-2-2009 (3 min 34 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2009, 06:32 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Get Real, looks like you're having fun with it. I better start building mine if I want to try it out at indoor flying in 1 1/2 weeks. I'm keen to compare it to my Hokusei Space Rit, which is my current favourite plane for indoor flying.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:28 PM
Almada - Portugal
Joined Oct 2004
107 Posts
Please share your set ups. I'm starting mine. Thanks
Rpinto is offline Find More Posts by Rpinto
Old Feb 04, 2009, 03:21 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
I have the techone 1100kv outrunner and gws 8x4 prop,esc and servos are techone to. The hobbycity version looks like its the same outrunner from the specs. For lipos im running 2cell 430 packs for about 5 minutes or 3 cell tp 730s.. the 730 packs bring the weight up but flights were about 8 to 10 minutes and i like it heavier for outdoors and ofcourse on 3 cell packs it has a lot more power.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:10 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
I got my Piaget also from Hobbycity, but i haven't build it already.

Yesterday i measured the motor that comes with the kit.
27g
2150kv

So 2s is the right choice for this motor and at maximum a APC 8x3,8 SF prop.

I have uploaded the motor to drivecalc.de
So in the next database update the motor should be listed as:
2318 Piaget Motor
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Feb 07, 2009, 06:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000
I got my Piaget also from Hobbycity, but i haven't build it already.

Yesterday i measured the motor that comes with the kit.
27g
2150kv

So 2s is the right choice for this motor and at maximum a APC 8x3,8 SF prop.

I have uploaded the motor to drivecalc.de
So in the next database update the motor should be listed as:
2318 Piaget Motor
Thanks for posting this info. 2150kV? wow! I thought I'd read somewhere that it was around 1100kv, but that could've been a different motor. It's surprisingly heavy for such a small motor. I think I'll use the HXM-2730 1500kV that I ordered "just in case" and spin a GWS 10x6 on a Zippy 2S500 20c, just like on my Hokusei Space Rit.

I've got my Piaget airframe built to the stage where all the control surfaces are attached, but no bracing has been added. The kit didn't have enough CF strips to reinforce the motor area. I didn't have the right sort on hand so I substituted CF rods of similar stiffness. I hate it when kits are incomplete.

My goal is to have it ready in a week for my first indoor flying in 4 months. All the parts are here, so I should achieve that.
Old Feb 08, 2009, 07:56 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
I'm spinning an 8x3.8 on the stock 1100kv Hobby city motor. 2S 460mAh lipos last just under 4 minutes I like the pull that the 3S lipos have more, and have a couple 610mAh that seem just about right. My plane is little heavy at 7.9oz AUW (sans batteries). Really like how this guy flies. I tried without the aileron spoilers, and it really wants to waggle and tip stall out worse. It is rock solid and very stable with the spoilers, and I started losing them when flying today, so I went ahead and just CA'ed em on for good. Not planning on running without them any more. Using the 9g 10A Turnigy ESC too, seems just fine. I'm waiting for my watt meter to test out the current with some different setups. I keep waiting to destroy the 1100kv motor that came with the kit so I can put on my 24g blue wonder (probably better fit, given how overboard I got with the glue and weighted this one down)...but so far, it is just cranking right on just fine. I may just swap it out sometime. So far, I've only been flying it out doors, and even just a little wind really pushes it around, but it is sorta fun hovering in a 5mph breeze...it just floats down wind. Even little gusts gets me a little wacky though.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out, is it says the CG is to be set from the CENTER of the wing. I assume this is half way out from the fuse to the tip, but that seemed strange. But the CG placement if you do it from right in by the fuse is too far forward, I think. I'm about 3/4" behind that, and it seems pretty well behaved.

Jeff
Last edited by Jhondra; Mar 21, 2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: change motor rating. It is not 1100kv, it is 2700kv, I've found.