HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:11 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
welders glue hinge

about to start my build and wanted to see if anyone had positive or negative feedback on using the welders glue style hinge on this plane instead of the stock hinges?

The Welders Glue Hinge (3 min 0 sec)
xraydoc is offline Find More Posts by xraydoc
Last edited by xraydoc; Sep 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
I used it on mine. They've worked out very well. There have been a couple of reglues needed on the outer portions of the ailerons and once on the elevator, but it's a very simple repair and in 15 - 20 minutes it's ready to fly again. I fly this plane a lot. I use this hinge method on all my Piaget sized epp planes. I posted photos of my Piaget earlier in this thread.

Michael
EnzoFalconi is offline Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:16 PM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Finished mine up 3 days ago I switched to a 8040 prop because the turnigy 8x3.8 dosnt fit >
So anyway, it turns out to be a great flying plane. I have 4 flights on her now ( including flights in my backyard!! ) and i couldnt be happier!

It is also a hovering MACHIENE!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress enough on how easy this thing is to hover once when you get the cg right.
Knife edge flight is pretty darn good, I believe has enough rudder authority to pull of a knife edge loop!

I might switch to a 3s after my next indoor event; When i im trying to exit a hover, it takes 2-3 seconds for the motor to generate enough tourqe to climb out.
Attached are some pictures of the build
Anyway, pretty cool. Thanks Techone!

--PvT
pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by pvtzemerak
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:24 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
I use a GWS DD 9x5 on mine with a 2S 750mah battery and it has plenty of power to pull out of a hover.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Sep 30, 2009, 06:44 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtzemerak
I might switch to a 3s after my next indoor event; When i im trying to exit a hover, it takes 2-3 seconds for the motor to generate enough tourqe to climb out.
You'll LOVE the 3S response you get out of this plane for outdoor flight. This is an awesome foamie. I love mine. It has enough flights/battle scars on it that it is almost finished...which makes it a PERFECT time for me to pull out the backup kit I ordered from hobby city last spring. This plane is THAT good. Everyone should have a spare box sitting in their garage. LOL.

-Jhondra
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Sep 30, 2009, 06:47 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoFalconi
I agree with you guys about it not being a good pattern plane. I have mine because I have to fly outside and my depron f3p's aren't happy with the light breeze I always have. The mods I made improved it, but if I had calm air I'd fly my depron planes instead of the Piaget. I'm currently building an epp copy of my Deluxe V3. I'm hoping it will be better than the Piaget in the air conditions I fly in. I'm going to copy my Osiris in epp and try it too.
Yup...I love mine for outdoors and actually it is pretty fun/challenging to hover/roll/spin in a 5mph wind. I don't have any indoor venues, so...
Old Sep 30, 2009, 06:51 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
I think I used everything from Hobby City. For the aileron servo I used their 9 gram servo (might have been the HXT900) and for the tail I used their 5 gram servos. I also used their simple 10amp ESC but I think a 12-15 amp ESC would work better, I changed mine out to a 12amp esc that I had lying around. For batteries I used HC's 2s 700mah lipo's. I also used HC's Assan 2.4ghz receiver. I think the whole set-up cost me a little over $120. Their supplied 9x5 prop worked fine.
Ditto for me on the HXT900 for aileron and HXT500 for rudder/elevator. 10A ESC is plenty, and works great for both 2S 410mAh (for light flights) and 3S 640mAh for stronger outdoor play. Use the 8x3.8 prop, the 9x5 is too much for that motor/ESC and you get better performance/efficiency on that motor with an 8x4E or 8x3.8. Using a 4ch GWS super light FM rx. I originally got a 24g blue wonder motor, but the one that comes with the Hobby City kit is actually pretty dang good and has lasted through almost a hundred cells.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:18 PM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Quote:
I use a GWS DD 9x5 on mine with a 2S 750mah battery and it has plenty of power to pull out of a hover.
What size ESC?
pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by pvtzemerak
Old Oct 01, 2009, 11:51 AM
Joined Oct 2006
242 Posts
10 amp ESC works well, I had an 8 amp and I think the motor pulled too much current for it. I use 2S when I am flying in a very confined area, 3S (610ma Rhinos) when I have more room. The performance difference between 2S and 3S (with the included motor) is significant.
John Canfield is offline Find More Posts by John Canfield
Old Oct 01, 2009, 02:38 PM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Try moving to an 8x4 or 8x3.8. At least with the supplied motor from HC, you won't be sorry. Big gain on flight times/eff with not too much loss in thrust.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:46 AM
Kuala Lumpur ,Malaysia
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Does anyone here know how to program the Techone 18a ESC?

I tried using the one on techone website but it seems that a big difference in it.

TIA
bulldog2 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog2
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:32 AM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Canfield
10 amp ESC works well, I had an 8 amp and I think the motor pulled too much current for it. I use 2S when I am flying in a very confined area, 3S (610ma Rhinos) when I have more room. The performance difference between 2S and 3S (with the included motor) is significant.

How many amps do you pull with the 3s and on what prop?
xraydoc is offline Find More Posts by xraydoc
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:04 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
I purchased a HobbyCity kit with the motor and ESC and also the 2.5 gram Blue Arrow servo's. I picked up an AR6300 Nanolite Spektrum RX which is so tiny and fits the BA servo connectors as well.

I used UHU Por on the EPP to EPP and ZAP a Goo on the carbon to EPP. This creates a bouncy glue surface to aid in impact absorption. It's still stiff enough to fly right but the EPP won't tear like it does with CA or epoxy. I stay away from CA on EPP.

I posted this video on You Tube

Techone Mini-Piaget in small room

I'm having way too much fun with this plane.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:22 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
very cool, thanks for posting the video. I've been debating buying one of these for months.

How much run time are you getting out of the battery?
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:38 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
I can run it over 8 minutes on that 2 cell 240. I plug it into my Cellpro and see I still have a good bit of voltage 25% or better remaining.

I tried two Flightmax 138 single cell "Parkzone type" batteries in a custom 2cell series cable only to find the power drops to useless in 3 second of run time. The cells get hot as they can't handle the draw from the stock motor/prop.

I am very impressed with the survivability of plane. I did replace the front two pieces of carbon reinforcement with the landing gear carbon rod. It's a bit thicker and can take the whack into the wall and floor. The smaller rod didn't last long in that spot with my hovering skills.

I love EPP and found a great EPP non-profile plane that flies GREAT! I fly this at the field and in the back yard. It can take a massive hit and just bounce. Rolling Harrier's gone wrong too many times but more fun than a simulator.

Check out this thread for more info.

E-Foamie EPP Yak

Check out using UHU Por for joining EPP. It dries into a flexible joint that has the same feeling as continuous piece of EPP. No tearing at the joint that you find with CA.

Someday I'll graduate to balsa but for now it's...

Fly
Perform trick
Try it again
Crash
Pick it up and check it over
Launch
Rinse...Lather...Repeat
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr