SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2009, 06:39 AM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
933 Posts
Thanks

I wonder what weighs more the blenderm or the hinges, but I would think the blenderm would give crisper response and positive control.

Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 06:58 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royster
Yep I have used Super 77 on EPP before. So how didi you spray it without spraying the whole plane?
I was thinking mayber masking tape and paper, or cardboard along the tape hinge line, to keep overspray off the rest of the plane.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:49 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,983 Posts
Quote:
Thanks

I wonder what weighs more the blenderm or the hinges, but I would think the blenderm would give crisper response and positive control.

Don't know, but I figured I'd end up taping them anyway to seal the hinge lines so why not just use tape in the first place.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 01, 2009, 12:49 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
I ran a small bead of Welder glue on my beveled hinges and then touched the 2 parts together and then scraped off any glue that shows with an old propeller blade. It takes very little glue. Excess glue will make the hinge too stiff, but that can be fixed by painting some xylol solvent on the glue line and then scraping off the excess. Welder is like a clear contact cement. It dries in 20 minutes or so and makes a nice sealed flexible hinge. It's had at least 50 flights on it now without any hinge line tears. I got the idea from a build thread on an epp Yak55. I do all my Piaget sized epp planes with these glued hinges.
EnzoFalconi is online now Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:31 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
need recommendations for parts from hobbyking

I am just about to pull the trigger on the Piaget and wanted to see if anyone set theirs up with parts from hobbyking (hobbycity) and could list their setup or list the parts they used.
xraydoc is offline Find More Posts by xraydoc
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:11 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
I think I used everything from Hobby City. For the aileron servo I used their 9 gram servo (might have been the HXT900) and for the tail I used their 5 gram servos. I also used their simple 10amp ESC but I think a 12-15 amp ESC would work better, I changed mine out to a 12amp esc that I had lying around. For batteries I used HC's 2s 700mah lipo's. I also used HC's Assan 2.4ghz receiver. I think the whole set-up cost me a little over $120. Their supplied 9x5 prop worked fine.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:21 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
I think I used everything from Hobby City. For the aileron servo I used their 9 gram servo (might have been the HXT900) and for the tail I used their 5 gram servos. I also used their simple 10amp ESC but I think a 12-15 amp ESC would work better, I changed mine out to a 12amp esc that I had lying around. For batteries I used HC's 2s 700mah lipo's. I also used HC's Assan 2.4ghz receiver. I think the whole set-up cost me a little over $120. Their supplied 9x5 prop worked fine.
The one I am looking at does not come with a motor\prop

any suggestions for a motor\prop combo?

Do yo know if the Assan receiver would bind to a spektrum dx6i?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2006
249 Posts
Mine came with the stock motor which has been fine, so I don't have a motor recommendation. HC 5 gram servos for tail and a larger one for the ailerons like the other poster. Eight amp ESC worked fine for a 2S battery, not for a 3S. Went to a 10 amp ESC and that works well for the 3S. I have HC Rhino 2S and 3S 610 LiPos and the plane will balance fine with either one.
John Canfield is offline Find More Posts by John Canfield
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:45 PM
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
I was trying to keep mine cheap and reasonably light so I used the Turnigy 2204-14T, GWS 8x4.3 prop, Turnigy Plush 10a esc, Hxt900 for the ailerons, 2 Hxt500's for the tail, 2s 360 or 460 Rhino batteries and a Spektrum AR6100. I shortened all my leads and stripped the covers from the esc and rx. Ready to fly weight is 180 grams with a 2s360. I only fly on relatively calm times outside. It goes vertical very well and hovers easily on 2s, so I've never tried a 3s battery. I tend to fly f3p pattern type maneuvers rather than the constant hovering and harriers than many prefer to do, so my model is setup different than most Piaget's. It makes a durable practice plane and well worth the $40 kit cost to me. My depron f3p's would be scrap if they had crashed as many times as my Piaget.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:49 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoFalconi
I was trying to keep mine cheap and reasonably light so I used the Turnigy 2204-14T, GWS 8x4.3 prop, Turnigy Plush 10a esc, Hxt900 for the ailerons, 2 Hxt500's for the tail, 2s 360 or 460 Rhino batteries and a Spektrum AR6100. I shortened all my leads and stripped the covers from the esc and rx. Ready to fly weight is 180 grams with a 2s360. I only fly on relatively calm times outside. It goes vertical very well and hovers easily on 2s, so I've never tried a 3s battery. I tend to fly f3p pattern type maneuvers rather than the constant hovering and harriers than many prefer to do, so my model is setup different than most Piaget's. It makes a durable practice plane and well worth the $40 kit cost to me. My depron f3p's would be scrap if they had crashed as many times as my Piaget.

Will it easily pull vertically out of a hover with this setup?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
933 Posts
Servo horns?

Can anyone tell what brand of servo horn the HXT500 and HXT900 servos use?

Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:54 PM
Joined Oct 2006
249 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone tell what brand of servo horn the HXT500 and HXT900 servos use?
Not sure what you mean - the horns are like all the others - nondescript.
John Canfield is offline Find More Posts by John Canfield
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:58 PM
Fly Big, Fly Hard!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
933 Posts
Not the control horns on the surfaces but the servo arms on the servo!

In other words will the spline fit JR, Futaba, EFlite etc.

Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:19 PM
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
Mine easily pulls vertical out of the hover with the setup I have. Like any plane, the battery will be declining during the flight, but I'd say until the last third of the charge on my 360's I can still go vertical out of the hover. Bare in mind that what I consider good performance may not be what others consider it to be. I fly mostly pattern style with my Piaget with only a small amount of hovering and I typically do that at the beginning of the battery. Most of the videos I've seen of the Piaget flying are mostly hovering and harrier type flying. I'd advise that you set the plane up for the type of flying you prefer. I've made some simple airframe mods to make mine fly pattern better. It's more stable and doesn't tuck the nose during reasonably sharp flat turns. It's not as precise like my depron f3p's, but it's still fun to fly and takes a beating well.

Michael
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:29 PM
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
These are the servo arms from Dubro that will fit the HXT's. I've used the arms from the JR DS188's on the 500's. When I use the 900's for the ailerons I typically make an arm that will eliminate the differential. I make them from thin plywood or G10 fibreglass. I bond it to the stock arm. You can get a nice plywood arm from Radical RC, but since you're down under it would probably be easier and cheaper to cut your own.

For the HXT 500, Dubro 930 Micro Servo Arm XL

For the HXT 900, Dubro 932 Micro Servo Arm XL