Yep, that'll work too.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2009, 03:22 AM
Joined May 2005
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann343128320
This item is really EPP , you can use other liquid glue. please try it.

Is there a suitable glue from HobbyCity you would recommend for this model - as opposed to the foamsafe CA?
Haggy is offline Find More Posts by Haggy
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
242 Posts
Plain old CA works fine and it is the first choice. Epoxy is too heavy and not necessary. The aileron do-dads are foam and you need to use foam-safe CA on them.
John Canfield is offline Find More Posts by John Canfield
Old Jun 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
This model is at least 60gms too heavy for serious indoor use, so the glue is not going to make a lot of difference to be honest

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:04 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
I like Household Goop. You can get it at most hardware stores and Home Depot. It's not as brittle as CA. Beware, you can't use it on the Depron like foam parts that go on the aileron "do dads". It'll melt them. But it works great on EPP.

Bob
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,154 Posts
Man I wished the thread Getreal started on his Pulama was down here in the f3p forum.
It gets buried in the 3D forum.

Wheres a mod when you could use one?

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:06 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Ford
Wheres a mod when you could use one?

______
Dennis
What kind of mod did you have in mind? I built mine pretty much stock and other than increasing the elevator throw and moving the CG way back from where it was recommending, I didn't make any changes.

Bob
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:15 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
What kind of mod did you have in mind? I built mine pretty much stock and other than increasing the elevator throw and moving the CG way back from where it was recommending, I didn't make any changes.

Bob
Moderator I think
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:48 PM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag

Bob
LOL, Mike knew I meant to say "moderator". What I would have liked is his thread would have been started down here.

And this is one reason why, I posted today about my maiden and its buried by all of the 3DHobbyshop threads up in 3D.

Is the Pulama not in the f3p category/class?

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:50 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
battery position

I recently decided to utilize the info given me by ETOC winner Seth Arnold about battery position and found it improved my Piaget a lot during knife edge flight. I moved the battery to the topside of the fuselage instead of under the nose. I was surprised at the effect such a little change had. Before moving the battery my plane was always trying to roll out of knife edge. Now it's much more stable. I only moved the vertical cg and not the fore and aft position. I use a Rhino 2s 460 and my plane is neutral in pitch whether upright or inverted.

Thanks Seth for your help

Michael
EnzoFalconi is offline Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:26 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
This model is at least 60gms too heavy for serious indoor use, so the glue is not going to make a lot of difference to be honest

Mike
Since this thing is mostly held together by carbon, is there any reason you can't cut holes in it everywhere and tape over them to shed weight? Just an idea I've had for a while.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:44 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoFalconi
I recently decided to utilize the info given me by ETOC winner Seth Arnold about battery position and found it improved my Piaget a lot during knife edge flight. I moved the battery to the topside of the fuselage instead of under the nose. I was surprised at the effect such a little change had. Before moving the battery my plane was always trying to roll out of knife edge. Now it's much more stable. I only moved the vertical cg and not the fore and aft position. I use a Rhino 2s 460 and my plane is neutral in pitch whether upright or inverted.

Thanks Seth for your help

Michael
I put the battery pack on the topside since the very beginning for the carbon rods under the wing made it awkward to place the pack on the other side.
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:23 AM
Joined Oct 2006
242 Posts
Quote:
I moved the battery to the topside of the fuselage instead of under the nose. I was surprised at the effect such a little change had.
I'll have to give that a try. We're on the road in the motorhome and I haven't found a place (or the right weather) to fly it for about two or three weeks
John Canfield is offline Find More Posts by John Canfield
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
My Piaget has the servos farther forward than most to allow me to use lighter batteries. I also have a lighter motor and different motor mount. I used a Turnigy 2204-14. It weighs 19 grams and it will go vertical very well and can easily hover this model. I wanted to be able to use small 2s batteries rather than 3s as many are using. My battery ended up right behind the motor to get a neutral cg in pitch. Top or bottom, my battery was always well clear of any carbon bracing. This epp is flexible enough that I don't think cutting holes in it or milling it like a typical competition f3p would work very well. My Piaget weighs 180 grams with a 2s Rhino 360 installed. I gained a few grams by extending my wing leading edge and using larger carbon on the wing rods and adding extra fences. While it's definitely not an f3p, the mods did improve its flying qualities and being epp it has been able to absorb my mistakes without any damage so far. I built this model to learn on before I start flying my f3p's, plus I can fly it outside with low winds.
EnzoFalconi is offline Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,078 Posts
Quote:
My Piaget has the servos farther forward than most to allow me to use lighter batteries. I also have a lighter motor and different motor mount. I used a Turnigy 2204-14. It weighs 19 grams and it will go vertical very well and can easily hover this model. I wanted to be able to use small 2s batteries rather than 3s as many are using. My battery ended up right behind the motor to get a neutral cg in pitch. Top or bottom, my battery was always well clear of any carbon bracing. This epp is flexible enough that I don't think cutting holes in it or milling it like a typical competition f3p would work very well. My Piaget weighs 180 grams with a 2s Rhino 360 installed. I gained a few grams by extending my wing leading edge and using larger carbon on the wing rods and adding extra fences. While it's definitely not an f3p, the mods did improve its flying qualities and being epp it has been able to absorb my mistakes without any damage so far. I built this model to learn on before I start flying my f3p's, plus I can fly it outside with low winds.
Wow, "180 grams with a 2S!" That's really light. I don't know how you achieved that. I did not have any mods with my Piaget and ended up with an AUW of 220 grams with a 450mAh 2S pack. My motor is about 10 grams heavier than yours. That's the only thing that, I think, contributed to the final weight difference for sure. I think my power system is more powerful than yours, but still, I am not too happy with mine. My motor is rated as a 100W one, by my estimation, your motor should be about 70W? What is the maximum amp does your motor draw on your Piaget?

Feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda