United States, MN, Hopkins
Joined Mar 2008
71 Posts
fuse reinforcement

thats great advice ..... thanks
It also helps to not crash as much

I also have problems with outside loops , it just rolls out on me
burb is offline Find More Posts by burb
Last edited by burb; May 29, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2009, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,347 Posts
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
Hi All,

I flew my Piaget for the first time tonight, it is certainly a nice forgiving model to fly and it has a rock steady hover, however it is heavy for an indoor model and I noticed that it has this nasty habit of tucking its nose down when rudder is applied. This is not peculiar to mine as I tried a friend's Piaget a couple of weeks ago. I experimented with the CofG as I have experienced this trait before with models that are nose heavy, however moving it rearward did not seem to stop the nose tuck. I am now at about 15mm behind the recommended position. I also noticed that this nose displacement comes into play when you roll to commence knife edge, so it must be related to an aerodynamic issue, maybe the wing fences or the air brakes?

Mike
I found with my models that any wing sweep , gives effective dihedral which make the model nose down with rudder application, , the straighter wing with the least sweep will give the truest yaw with rudder I found
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old May 30, 2009, 09:22 AM
KF7JBN
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Nov 2008
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow
Burb,

I went down this path too once. But a friend showed me the solution. Do not use CF, instead run some tape along instead. The tape has enough stretch to spread out the whipping force, so that there is no single weak point. It is lighter than the piece of CF too.
Hum...cool. I may have to try this on my next build. I still think the CF should work if you run it >5" into the overlap with the main wing and the tail feathers...oh, and planning to use VERY SMALL/Thin CF, so it should bend too...

Thanks for the note!

Jeff
Jhondra is offline Find More Posts by Jhondra
Old Jun 10, 2009, 03:19 PM
Elkton Md
Joined Aug 2004
69 Posts
just finished mine up last night... and very happy with the first few batteries i got to put thru it... controls are clean and predictable, without that locked in feel.. fun plane... no bad habits, other than me flying it

ended up at 6.3 ounces RTF w/o landing gear... may add them later, but they dont like grass ... used hs55 on ail with long arm, hxt500's on the tail, corona rec, plush 10, hc 2204 soldiered direct and mounted straight, 2s360's, gws 8x3-8...

mounted the motor direct to the black firewall, didnt use the fiberglass plate... also left the fuse doublers behind the motor off, seems plenty stiff without them so far... used z-bends rather than the small white horn locks... c/g is a full 1" behind suggested with the batt all the way up front, but feels about right so far... may mount it thru the fuse to get better axial balance... wish i had taped the hinge lines, not a fan of the hinges... might have gone a bit light with the glue but 2 of them on the ail's popped loose on the 2nd flight
fro540 is offline Find More Posts by fro540
Old Jun 10, 2009, 03:28 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
fro540, that's really light! I like your weight saving ideas. Maybe I'll do that on my next one. My LG are holding up fine on grass, they're very flexible so they don't break, and believe me, I've hit the ground pretty hard with them. My CG is way back there too. Seems to fly fine that way. I used their hinges on the elevator and before I even got in the air one or two of them popped out. I used tape on the other surfaces.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:24 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
fro540, that's really light! I like your weight saving ideas. Maybe I'll do that on my next one. My LG are holding up fine on grass, they're very flexible so they don't break, and believe me, I've hit the ground pretty hard with them. My CG is way back there too. Seems to fly fine that way. I used their hinges on the elevator and before I even got in the air one or two of them popped out. I used tape on the other surfaces.

Bob
I used their hinges all round and so far they have been fine, I only fly it indoors though.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:53 PM
Joined Oct 2006
242 Posts
The stock hinges have worked fine for me (I fly outdoors) although I did CA one of them together in the build and destroyed it while trying to free it up. Some Blenderm tape easily substituted for the bad hinge.

6.3 ounces is very light - I'm 7.5 without battery and with landing gear (but no wheel pants.) Like somebody else, I used too much CA but I'm blaming it on the lack of a good tip for the CA bottle.

I've run maybe 20 or 25 packs in my Piaget and it is a total blast to fly - couldn't be happier with my purchase.
John Canfield is offline Find More Posts by John Canfield
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:06 AM
Elkton Md
Joined Aug 2004
69 Posts
well couple more packs... and a couple more ail hinges popped... it looks like the CA i have been using is not biting into the plastic, going to try a different brand tonight... have not been happy with the mercury CA on other projects..

flights are kind of indoor.. lol ... my warehouse is 50' x 150' with 24' ceilings on the low side, sounds great huh? garage door tracks at 20' all the way up one side, with racks of materials and products stacked 10' off the ground throughout... more like a red bull course than a place to fly...
fro540 is offline Find More Posts by fro540
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:00 AM
We would rather be flying!
Pontiac, MI
Joined Mar 2009
45 Posts
Techone Hobby Planes

Hi all

Just wanted to say that I have my website up and running and have some of the Techone Hobby planes on it as well as other supplies, please check it out.

I have the following planes: Shipping in USA only.

Piaget EPP, Pulama EPP, Sukhoi EPP, Tribute 3D Depron and Spark 3D Depron, and a Techone Motor, ESC, Servo Combo, all are Techone Hobby.
I also have the Emax Cap232 Depron and the Facinate Depron looks something like the Piaget.

Thank you
Dave/Desire Hobby RC
www.desirehobbyrc.com
moody152 is offline Find More Posts by moody152
Last edited by moody152; Jun 13, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:19 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
Another Piaget is flying

I recently finished my plane. I made a few changes that seem to help it. I also made a few changes to shed a small amount of weight so I could add some without gaining overall. I used 4mm x .6mm carbon for wing spars and ran the front one all the way across. I used 1.25mm rods for the controls and 1.5mm for the X underwing bracing. I added some 1mm rod to brace the canopy from flexing as much during knife edge. I used 1.5mm rod for the elevator spar. My aileron servo arm is from Radical RC. It eliminated the differential. With my HXT900 I get about 60 degrees of aileron throw. The tail servos are HXT500's with arms from a JR DS188. The canopy got repainted because I didn't like the shape of the kits graphic. I added some leading edge extensions to gain some wing area and copied my airbrakes from the recently released T Bird F3P kit. These seem to be very effective in controlling downline speeds. I'll airbrush in some graphics to continue the design that's already printed on the wings. I used a Turinigy 28-22CQ because I wanted to test one. It's also 5 grams lighter than the kit motor. I moved the servos forward quite a bit and moved the new motor mount to the front of the nose. This was done to be sure I didn't end up with an aft cg and be forced to use a heavier battery to correct it. The Turnigy 10a esc was stripped as was the AR6100 rx. All wiring was shortened to just what was needed. To get my plane close to neutral for upright and inverted I had to move my cg to about 73mm back from where the wing meets the fuselage. I like my planes to fly level whether inverted or upright without having to trim them or add input from the stick. I discarded the stock hinges and used Welder glue like I used on my recently built Yak55 from another forum. The Welder glue hinges are incredibly strong and super easy to make. I use this method on all my epp planes. Full info is available on the Yak55 thread on the 3d scratchbuilder forum. With all my changes I ended up with an AUW of 187 grams with a 2s 460 Rhino and GWS 8x4.3. I'm not sure if this is the right prop for the motor I used. Flight times seem fairly short so far. I've flown it with a 2s 610 Rhino and get a bit more flight time at the expense of some loss of slow speed performance. My plane doesn't have the nose drop in turns or entering knife edge like some others have reported. It may be the effects of the extra fences beneath my wings. For the money this is a great plane. I built mine to practice with before I start flying my milled F3P's.

Michael
EnzoFalconi is offline Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
228 Posts
motor change

After running quite a few batteries thru my Piaget I decided to change the motor to a Turnigy 2204-14. I flew my Yak55 with its 2204-14 right after flying my Piaget when it still had the 28-22CQ and found that the Yak had a lot more power and ran longer on the same battery. The Yak is about 12 grams lighter than the Piaget. Now that I have the 2204-14 installed in my Piaget it's suitable to fly with my 2s 360 Rhino's. I get more flight time and performance with the 2s 360 and 2204-14 than I did with the 28-22CQ and a 2s 610. AUW with the 2s 360 Rhino and 2204-14 motor is 180 grams. I experimented with flat turns using a lot of rudder and I don't get the nose drop that Mike Smart has with his plane. He thinks it's my extra wing fences that have helped. Overall I really like this plane for the type of flying I do. I spend more time doing pattern flying than hovering and 3d style manuevers. More benefits of the 2204-14 are cost and weight. The new motor is 2 grams lighter than what I had and $5 cheaper. HobbyCity has them for $10 and it has a built in prop saver hub and a mount with 4 pads. The prop saver hub fits a GWS 8x4.3 perfectly. The 2204-14 with a GWS 8x4.3 prop weighs 24 grams. That's 8 grams lighter than the kit supplied motor using the same prop.
EnzoFalconi is offline Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:44 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
Hey moody152, do you have any of the Techone micro's yet?

I fly both my Piaget and Pulama just about every chance I get. The micro's look like fun too.

Bob
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:14 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,154 Posts
Bob,

Where did you put your esc, rx and lipo in your Pulama?

These things have all these chambers up front and only the one door on top to gain access.

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:54 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
34Ford, I stuck them in the bottom. I took an exacto knife and opened up the front bottom section. It's easy to do, the glue along the seam just opens right up.

Bob
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:00 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,154 Posts
Oh wait, I had a hinge left over, I could make a door like the one on top.

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford