22 Posts
Fly-In
E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Feb 21-22, 2009 - Cedar Falls, IA

E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Cedar Falls, IA
February 21 & 22, 2009
Adult Flyers $25 per day or $40 for both days
AMA Youth Flyers $10 per day
Spectators $5 / children 12 and under are free
Flying from 9AM until 6PM (Saturday) / 5PM (Sunday)

On the web at: http://www.e-xpodome.com/

All pilots must have a current AMA membership card. AMA Park Pilot and Youth members may fly at this event.

There's no other event like this one, so don't miss it! PreRegister and skip the line at check-in.

See our ad in the January 2009 issue of Model Aviation Magazine

Largest Indoor Flying Arena in the Mid-West. The ceiling is 162 feet high! The flying area is HUGE with almost 2 acres of floor space (78,000 sq ft). That's more space than 16 college basketball courts. All types of Indoor R/C Electric & Free Flight Aircraft can fly here.

"This event is about flying, not watching other people fly!" That's what one of our flyers said after he had attended another major indoor event and spent most of his time watching other people fly. In two days he only got in seven flights. At "e/xpo in the UNI Dome", he said he got so much flying time that his fingers were tired. That's the way we do indoor flying in Iowa! If you want to fly everything you've got and fly till you drop, this is the event for you. Most of the time will be open flying, but there will also be pylon racing and combat. Bring lots of charged up Li-Po's, because you will need them. We've got 17 flying stations and most of the time, no waiting to fly.

The UNI Dome is the 16,324 seat indoor football stadium for the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, IA. The UNI Dome has a hard roof with no fans or blowers inside, so it's perfect for everything from micro and slow park flyers to 3D and helicopters. Not only is the football field available for R/C flying, there's additional airspace over the seats on the East side of the stadium. (There's virtually no wall to hit on the far side of the field!) One end of the field is for 3D aircraft & helicopters, the middle is for "racetrack" or circular pattern flying and the other end is for micro flyers and free flight. All fixed wing aircraft must have a flying weight of less than 25 ounces. Helicopters must have 450 mm or smaller main rotor blades. R/C vendors on site.

Sponsored by the Black Hawk R/C Pilots, AMA Club #792
rnleeper is offline Find More Posts by rnleeper
Last edited by rnleeper; Dec 19, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2009, 06:28 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
I just ran accross this and am giving it serious thought.. I live in the south metro area of Minneapolis and St Paul. It sounds like a good time with Spring just around the corner

Steve
Lakeville MN
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Jan 09, 2009, 07:37 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Steve, this is a great event. Have not missed a single year of it.
The unidome is a great place to fly in. Basically the field is cut in half, one side is for park type flyers, the other side is 3d and helicopters. Huge area to fly in, and there is never a wait to fly.
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Jan 09, 2009, 08:10 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Thanks, I have passed the link along to a couple of local club sites as well. I am reasonably certain I will be attending, both days most likely, and so far my calendar is open.

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:26 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Hotel reservations made and two days of flying paid for

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:28 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,554 Posts
Missed last year at the Unidome but on my list this year. This place is amazing. A great way to break up the wait for spring.

Hey Al Gore, where's out "global warming". Below zero here and up to our armpits in snow.

RonJ

PS: assume it is OK to bring some items to sell. Cleaning out my hanger a little. Wife thinks 25 airplanes is a bit to many.
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:01 AM
Cedar Falls, IA
Joined Nov 2007
22 Posts
E/xpo in the UNI Dome - 2009

There's no official swap meet area, but you can sell whatever you want from the Pits area. There will be hobby shops at the E/xpo as vendors selling new equipment and supplies.

Global Warming? It will be a balmy 70 F inside the Dome all day long.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:11 PM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Power

Will there be available outlets for charging or do we provide our own power source?

Steve
Lakeville MN
Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:46 PM
Cedar Falls, IA
Joined Nov 2007
22 Posts
Power

120 volt AC 20 amp outlets are available all along the wall behind the pits. You will need an extension cord. I'd recommend at least a 50' extension cord and a power strip so you can share with other pilots.

If you've got something that really draws power, we also have a 300 amp panel on the wall at the 50 yard line that could charge up the Space Shuttle or recharge a 12 volt portable power pack.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:33 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Do we need to bring our own tables this year?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:47 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
Do we need to bring our own tables this year?
Hey, great idea and glad you brought it up

Gee, I wonder if I should bring my canopy?

Steve
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:13 PM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Was just filling out my registation-- Tables not provided according to it.
Same as last year, but the door to haul everything in is real close to where you can setup. Sailingalong, They always have signs to point you to the proper door for unloading.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:46 PM
Joined Aug 2007
55 Posts
Bump.

The weather is going to be great this weekend so we should have a good spectator turnout. Be sure to bring a couple of throwaway planes for the crowd pleasing full-on combat challenges Saturday and Sunday.

Lots of door prizes (thank you sponsers), tons of fun.

See you there.

Stan
justplanesweet is offline Find More Posts by justplanesweet
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:43 AM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Apr 2006
476 Posts
Sounds like the weather for late Friday and early Saturday may not be so nice. Snow is very likely with strong winds. Should I stay or should I go???
mark963 is offline Find More Posts by mark963
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:48 PM
Cedar Falls, IA
Joined Nov 2007
22 Posts
Weather

They have revised the forecast and as of 10PM tonight the prediction is for 1" of snow overnight and flurries toward morning.

The event will go on because the weather here is really not bad (for Iowa). The major highways will be clear by morning.
Last edited by rnleeper; Feb 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Weather Update