HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
114 Posts
reversely running FISE engines

Now we're going to convert the front-intake/side-exhaust OPS .60 Super SLA RCA #8305 pattern engine (see pics below, in this case upgraded with speed venturi carb and TruTurn spinner).

We want it to run reversely!

Due to a lack of prop sizes for certain applications this conversion to counter-rotation is highly recommended for
Like the counter-rotating RIRE disk intake OPS engines the procedure for converting the OPS FISE engines is simple too. Again no engine part has to be modified.

Proceeding:
  1. disassemble the entire engine
  2. rotate the main housing by 180 degrees to locate the exhaust window at the right side (viewed from the engine front)
  3. rotate the front bearing housing by 90 degrees to locate the carb horizontally at the left side (viewed from the engine front)
  4. the small lubricating hole at the lower end of the conrod must always face the front of a front intake engine, i.e. the fresh fuel/air mixture coming through the crankshaft does cool and lube this potentially hot part of the connecting rod effectively.
  5. in case of a used engine we must rotate the piston by 180 degrees together with the brass sleeve to still guarantee the optimum piston/sleeve fit.

This conversion can be carried out with any front intake/side exhaust engine, as long as it features a two-piece housing. This includes numerous older OS, Supertigre, ROSSI and PICCO engines with FISE setup.

The following OPS FISE engines are convertible to counter-rotation:
  • OPS .40 Speed SLA RCA #8460 (black-head, 3-ports)
  • OPS .60 Ursus SLA RCA #8100 (red-head, 3-ports)
  • OPS .60 Ursus SLA RCA #8120 (red-head, 3-ports)
  • OPS .60 Super SLA RCA #8305 (gold-head, 5-ports)
  • OPS .60 Super SLA RCA #8306 (gold-head, 5-ports)
  • OPS .60 Super SLA RCA #8307 (gold-head, 5-ports)
  • OPS .60 Super SLA Hely #8308 (gold-head, 5-ports)
I-Love-Jets is offline Find More Posts by I-Love-Jets
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2009, 06:35 PM
Joined Oct 2004
9 Posts
OPS .80 rcb marine engine

I would like to know how many head shims to use on this engine using 35% nitro fuel? The engine is new and is installed in a dumas circus circus. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks Clint
Clint is offline Find More Posts by Clint
Old Sep 09, 2009, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2008
114 Posts
Well the OPS .80 “nitro” head button #6968 is already set up for high percentage nitro fuels (>30%) versus the “standard” head button #6969 designed for lower nitro contents down to 5% (see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post12378522 ). In order to identify your actual button version please measure the diameter of the bowl, see yellow markings below pictured.

Generally adding too many head shims to adopt the compression ratio to a specific fuel nitro content is not recommended. Because from a certain degree the gas mixture velocity will dramatically drop due to a gap too wide between piston top and the squish band. This results in unwanted cylinder heat accumulation (inadequate heat transfer during the gas exchange cycles). So maintaining a small squish band clearance is beneficial.

In case your .80 has the “standard” head button installed detonation will most likely occur at 35% of nitro content. For this reason you should either purchase the “nitro” head button #6968 or just increase the volume of the “standard” bowl. That means taking away aluminium material on a lathe. If you want you may choose a so called “double bubble” bowl design as an alternative (see lower row of head buttons).
Old Sep 09, 2009, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
9 Posts
I think its the nitro head button #6968? The bowl diameter measures 18mm. It came with one shim in it. Does it need to have at least one in it? thanks Clint
Old Sep 09, 2009, 04:04 PM
Joined Dec 2008
114 Posts
Yes it is recommended to install at least one head shim for leak tightness reasons.

So have fun with your "nitro" head button equipped OPS .80 marine engine!
Old Sep 09, 2009, 04:43 PM
Joined Oct 2004
9 Posts
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of these engines. Clint
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:15 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
583 Posts
ILJ, any idea why this particular engine sold for so much? 140344360374

thx, david
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:51 AM
rome
Joined Feb 2006
55 Posts
P.S. Being located in Italy, would you please phone OPS headquarters or Mantuamodel and ask, if they are looking for a distributor for their aero and marine engines for the large US/CAN market again in future. Especially the straight-line speed plane R/C pilots (class F3S) generally do suffer from a lack of high performance competition engines and spare parts since ROSSI and PICCO have stopped producing their hot .40 to .90 aero RIRE engines. The Jett FIRE “LX” version engines sized .60 and larger sadly don't achieve the rpm numbers required to be competitive in F3S...

I sent to u a pm ...regarding yr request to phone mantuamodel.....
gianfry2866 is offline Find More Posts by gianfry2866
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:54 AM
rome
Joined Feb 2006
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Jets

Well your Galaxy as a very nice example of a classic 1980s era RC1 pattern plane originally was restricted to 10 cc engines.

The below shown gold-head front intake/rear exhaust configured 5-ports OPS .60 super SPA RCA (#8300) therefore would be the correct engine for your plane (SPA = FIRE, SLA = FISE).

This engine comes with the ABC piston/sleeve assembly #7370 and should be combined with an 11x7 APC prop for instance and one of the following tuned pipes:

OPS #6780 muffled tuned pipe
MACS #1260 muffled tuned pipe http://www.macspro.com/
NOVAROSSI #50400 muffled tuned pipe www.planethobby.com
MERKER #06130 muffled tuned pipe http://www.merker-modellbau.de/shop/
BLACK MAGIC TUNING PIPE #110002021 www.simon-modell.de

However, any .60 sized 2-stroker will struggle with these 7.5 lbs weight of your Galaxy – if a well executable RC1 program is your goal.

If you don't intend to compete with it in classic RC1 pattern I do suggest a larger capacity piped 2-stroker with loads of torque at relatively low rpm.
For that no high-timed OPS R/C engine (like the #8045 .60 FAN, the #8261 .67 FAN, the #8501 .80 FAN) should be considered (you would need small diameter carbon fiber propellers anyway for the high rpm output of at least 19000 in order to avoid transonic prop tip speeds. But such 9” diameter or smaller props would be way too small for the large Galaxy airframe drag mainly induced mainly by the very thick wing and stab).

So I highly recommend one of the best sport engines available for any heavy .60 sized pattern plane, namely the JETT .90 FIRE. http://www.jettengineering.com/
It features same mounting dimensions than a .60. In addition it does weigh almost the same as a regular .60 engine but it can swing a considerably larger prop with authority providing the required thrust for your heavy Galaxy!

In case of the low-timed thus high-torque JETT BSE FIRE .90L R/C, an APC 12x8 is turned at ca.13.000 rpm.
In case you prefer a faster pattern flying style, the higher-timed JETT BSE FIRE .90LX R/C would be your engine of choice delivering about 15000 rpm with an APC 11x8.

As for recommendable tuned pipes for the 15 cc JETT high-quality sport engines, these will work well:

OPS #5920 muffled tuned pipe
MACS #1290 muffled tuned pipe
MERKER #06140 muffled tuned pipe

P.S. Being located in Italy, would you please phone OPS headquarters or Mantuamodel and ask, if they are looking for a distributor for their aero and marine engines for the large US/CAN market again in future. Especially the straight-line speed plane R/C pilots (class F3S) generally do suffer from a lack of high performance competition engines and spare parts since ROSSI and PICCO have stopped producing their hot .40 to .90 aero RIRE engines. The Jett FIRE “LX” version engines sized .60 and larger sadly don't achieve the rpm numbers required to be competitive in F3S...

P.P.S Below shown is the MERKER muffled tuned pipe #06130 combined with the OPS header #6881.

I sent u a PM regarding yr request to contact mantamodel for a US distribution
gianfry2866 is offline Find More Posts by gianfry2866
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:08 AM
Joined Sep 2009
8 Posts
Hello, is it ok for me to post pics of my ops engines here?
they are not airplane engines they are buggy engines.

they are all OPS..
rbvrt2 is offline Find More Posts by rbvrt2
Old Oct 01, 2009, 05:09 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbvrt2
Hello, is it ok for me to post pics of my ops engines here?
they are not airplane engines they are buggy engines.

they are all OPS..
might be a little off topic.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Oct 01, 2009, 07:38 PM
Joined Sep 2009
8 Posts
oh...ok...so OPS engines are off topic??

I thought this was the ops engine thread.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 07:41 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,814 Posts
Go for it RB, an OPS is an OPS, whadda ya got?
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:21 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
I ran into this link somehow last week. I has some photos of the OPS 1.20 four stroke and other engines.

http://www.mantuamodel.com/index.php...elli&Itemid=92

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:12 PM
Joined Sep 2009
8 Posts
ok..here we go..

OPS buggy power .21 standard plug

OPS speedster .21 torque/turbo plug

I have the matching header and exhaust for both engines
engines are also NIB...