HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:00 AM
Joined Nov 2008
186 Posts
Question
Can someone give me some insight into poles/windings/battery sizes?

Been in RC's for a very long time, and just got into flying heli's.

I've been poking around here for awhile, and have seen that some batteries are more suited to certain motors. I know a "hot" motor will drain a battery quicker, but I only know that for brushed stuff.

Now I'm just looking to learn about the poles and windings and what makes a certain motor "pair" better with a 3s lipo instead of a 4s lipo and vice versa.

Right now I'm running a hyperion 35A esc and hyperion h2220-6 motor with 3s packs on an Axe CP. Should I have gone with the h2220-4 motor?

I used these 2 options because they were touted as good motors for the T-Rex 450, something I'm sure I'll be upgrading to in the future.

Please give me some insight or point me in the right direction ! I hate beeing the noob.

Regards,

Steve
Iceberg86300 is online now Find More Posts by Iceberg86300
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:28 AM
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
The Knowledge base on gobrushless.com can tell you all you want to know about these motors, and probably more then you ever wanted to know.

One of the articles in the KB is goes into great depth explaining outrunners. It written more towards winding your own but it can answer your questions about the poles, windings, etc.

http://gobrushless.com/kb/index.php?...01_-_Chapter_1

Robert
rgoble is offline Find More Posts by rgoble
Old Dec 19, 2008, 01:02 AM
Joined Nov 2008
186 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the link.

Geez this hobby has changed a ton since I got my first RC10 with the orange/bronze anodizing.

Got another question I forgot to ask......anyone with electric tail motors try a coreless set-up? Used them to great success in my mechatronics class a few years ago.

Anyway, enough ramblind.

Thanks again.
Iceberg86300 is online now Find More Posts by Iceberg86300
Old Dec 19, 2008, 01:32 AM
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300
Geez this hobby has changed a ton since I got my first RC10 with the orange/bronze anodizing.
Funny you should say that because I still have one of those. Although it is just sitting in the closet collecting dust since I am more into planes and helis now.

Robert
rgoble is offline Find More Posts by rgoble