Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:32 PM
dub dub dub dot ausuav dot com
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Feb 2005
183 Posts
Question
Best Combat Slope Soaring Flying Wing?

G'day All,
Just wondering peoples opinions on what is the best available combat flying wing for typical Aussie conditions. I've got a Zagi EPP that I haven't flown for some time and a mate wants to get into flying some combat. I'll hand on my Zagi to him and get something new

So what's good / bad / available at the moment?
What size / style / shapes are the best performers?

Cheers
Aaron
AUSUAV is offline Find More Posts by AUSUAV
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:35 PM
Heres JOHNNY!
Bondi
Joined Mar 2008
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiowa 206 b-1
G'day All,
Just wondering peoples opinions on what is the best available combat flying wing for typical Aussie conditions. I've got a Zagi EPP that I haven't flown for some time and a mate wants to get into flying some combat. I'll hand on my Zagi to him and get something new

So what's good / bad / available at the moment?
What size / style / shapes are the best performers?

Cheers
Aaron
The scorpion from www.offtheedge.com

Or a bee from www.windrider.com
pldrummerboy is offline Find More Posts by pldrummerboy
Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:27 AM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
Combat

A lot of guys like the Bee for its good speed, all EPP construction, flying/handling characteristics, recovery from hits and ability to take the abuse of combat.
I've got a new Bee and recently on the only decent afternoon in ages with heaps of combat happening with good lift - and I spent hours looking for it all over the hill after flying the wrong wing following a light tap. Got it back though.

Mine has the Predator combat modifications which include carbon ribbon spars, enclosed internally mounted servos and push-rods, and larger fins (which I suspect is the hit recovery enhancement).

I have a Zagi 5C which I built light. I put some washout in the tips to avoid the legendary Zagi tip stall tendency. However it doesn't fly too good. I have never been really happy with it. The really heavy ones I have seen around appear to go better, even in light lift.
F
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:39 AM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,527 Posts
A fatboy comp 44 for me
super easy to build ,it uses a stainless steel round bar as the joiner and generally doesnt require balancing.My cog was perfect straight up with standard gear.CF Spars are pre fitted and holes for radio gear are pre cut.Fast and Tough.
www.fatboycombatwing.com
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Dec 18, 2008, 05:20 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,705 Posts
The Scorpion is faster than most (at 130mph standard), recovers well and is Australian made.
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Dec 18, 2008, 06:19 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,918 Posts
Rough skill level guide, Bee, fatboy for rookies, Scorpions for experienced pilots.
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Dec 18, 2008, 06:35 AM
dub dub dub dot ausuav dot com
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Feb 2005
183 Posts
Wings

Looks like the votes so far are for the Scorpion.

I've just done a quick Youtube search and found some footage of the scorpion on bungee launch. That looks like a whole lot of fun.

Thanks everyone for the tips so far.
Looks like I'll be making a purchase in the very near future.

Cheers
Aaron
AUSUAV is offline Find More Posts by AUSUAV
Old Dec 18, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Or a bee from www.windrider.com
Should be http://www.windrider.com.hk

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:10 AM
danmark
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
winderider airliner

hi ming were can i order this airplane from you and bye with visa eletron
jeta380 is offline Find More Posts by jeta380
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?page=2&id=164
Payment by Paypal only.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:59 AM
Ian Downunder
Bass
Joined Aug 2008
361 Posts
SLOPE AEROBATICS DEMONSTRATION DAY

Hi Guys.

Just a reminder that this Sunday, January 4, at Mt Hollowback, Victoria, there is a trial day to demonstrate new rules for slope soaring contests, as well as new procedures for Gold Wings Slope. The limited use of electrics will also be demonstrated for the purpose of turning around the unacceptable, high rate of event cancellations.

This could be the turning point in slope competition for the next 20 years. If you are interested in becoming involved in slope aerobatics and would like to see it become truly National, then you have to come to this day.

Fun flying starts 10am. Trial starts 11am. There will be opportunities throughout the day for more fun flying. This day has been looming for 15 years. Come and witness history in the making.

Ian - slope aerobatics is the best form of aeromodelling - it's just that few people know it yet.
Ian Downunder is offline Find More Posts by Ian Downunder
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:43 PM
Heathcote, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
Bugger!! that's a 9 hour drive with a wedding anniversary running interference
slowflow is offline Find More Posts by slowflow