HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:25 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
611 Posts
Discussion
Paper or Cardboard Tubing Source

Because I occasionally see packaging with cardboard tubing, intuition tells be that there should be a source out there. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Years ago, I built a thermal duration glider that had tubes in the wings for adding ballast centered on the CG.

These tubes were made of a light-weight cardboard (or heavy paper) and had a 1/2 inch inside diameter. I made 2 ounce lead-filled brass tubes to slide into the paper tubes.

It was a very flexible system, as I could fly with zero ballast, all the way up to several pounds. For ballast weights between zero and the max, I made wooden dowel spacers to fill unused space in the paper tubes.

Now, today, for a new project, I need to find a source for paper/cardboard tubing - not only for 1/2 inch ballast slugs, but for use as servo cable conduit in a large wing. A 3/8 inch I.D. would likely work for servo cable use.

Does anybody out there know of a paper tubing source?

Curt
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:19 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,623 Posts
Do a GOOGLE search on model rocket tubes. You will get a lot of hits on suppliers for tubes of differing lengths, diameters and wall thickness.

For servo cables, just handroll a tube from typing paper and tape the seam.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Last edited by Andrew0820; Dec 17, 2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtissP40
Because I occasionally see packaging with cardboard tubing, intuition tells be that there should be a source out there. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Years ago, I built a thermal duration glider that had tubes in the wings for adding ballast centered on the CG.

These tubes were made of a light-weight cardboard (or heavy paper) and had a 1/2 inch inside diameter. I made 2 ounce lead-filled brass tubes to slide into the paper tubes.

It was a very flexible system, as I could fly with zero ballast, all the way up to several pounds. For ballast weights between zero and the max, I made wooden dowel spacers to fill unused space in the paper tubes.

Now, today, for a new project, I need to find a source for paper/cardboard tubing - not only for 1/2 inch ballast slugs, but for use as servo cable conduit in a large wing. A 3/8 inch I.D. would likely work for servo cable use.

Does anybody out there know of a paper tubing source?

Curt
If it is only for servo wires, do not loose lots of reaesrch time and spend any money.

Use large diameter drinking straws, cut them lengthwise and shove the cables inside. You can then secure the straws gluing to the structure any convenient place.

Concerning changing the weight of the model, you will have better maneuverability if the added or removable weight is concentrated at the CG. It is easier to turn a mass on itself than distribute it in tubes in the wings and have to accelerate a mass far away when banking the aiplane.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Dec 17, 2008 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:07 AM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
611 Posts
Tubing Sources

Andrew0820: DUH! I should have thought of model rocket tubes long ago!! Today I found a package of cardboard tubes at one of my LHS's. They are the exact size I need.

Zor: Two excellent comments.

However, the servo connectors I have will not fit in any straws I am familiar with, so I will not likely use your straw suggestion for this purpose, but rather build my own tubing. I have a long 3/8" diameter nylon rod that I will coat with a suitable release agent, and wrap a strip of paper around in a sort of spiral fashion, spray with a thin coat of glue like 3M 77, and wrap once again but in the opposite direction.

Since I do not expect any need for strength, I will probably stop with two layers and remove the paper tube from the rod. If it turns out I need more layers, I can do that.

As for the ballast, the tubing mentioned above is an exact match for the several dozen cylindrical 2 oz brass-covered lead slugs that I already have.

As an engineer with several dynamics courses under my belt, I am familiar with the momentum (inertia) that occurs when rotating a mass, and would under other circumstances add ballast in the fuselage, minimizing this momentum - as you recommend.

However, in this specific case, adding ballast to the fuselage is not practical - which has lead me to the wing-based ballast configuration. Rest assured, I will keep ballast as close to the fuselage lengthwise centerline and CG as possible.

In the FWIW column, the particular plane I expect to use the ballast in is being built with two 132" wingspan wings: one with spoilers only, and the other with flaps, ailerons, a lower dihedral, and no spoilers.

The ballast option will be built into the aileron wing only, as the spoiler wing is expected to be flown in relatively calm air (read that "little or no wind")

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Curt
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:51 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,395 Posts
Curt,

For paper tubes for ballast, as Andrew0820 said, rocket body tubes. I ordered some a while back, but did not save the vendor. There are several options.

For the servo lead conduit tubes, rolled printer weight paper (20lb.) works fine. Roll it onto a wooden dowel (no need for more than 1-1/4 wrap) a bit smaller than the hole in the wing ribs that you will pass it through. Slide it in and hit a few ribs at the paper with CA. Done.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1