HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: After reviewing this project, I think mastrsn's going to end up with:
a plane that is gonna fly well, or exceed his expectations. 7 77.78%
a pile of toothpicks and confetti. 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by mastrsn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:14 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Poll
Why not to practice Slow Stick Perversion while Trippin'

No, not really- I don't use drugs (but I may want to when I fly this thing!)

Although not looking like a Slow Stick, all the hardware came from a Slow Stick. (Never throw out a wrecked Slow Stick, the parts come in handy) Looking for a new project, I was surfing the web when I found this neet little paper airplane called a "Hoopster". Almost imediately, the gears in my head started spinning and this is what I came up with. After blowing up the dimentions 400%, I was shocked to find out that the fuselage was the same size as, you guessed it, a Slow Stick! I found a coffee can for the 6" diameter hoop and a large sauce pan for the 12" hoop. After cutting my 4" strips of fan fold, I used my Monocote Heat Iron to help bend the foam around the can and pot. I glued the circles, then used strapping tape to re-enforce them.

I did add the control surfaces, not on the paper airplane. It has a functioning Rudder, and an Elevon mixer for Elevator and Ailerons. Power is a Tower Pro 2408-21 and 18 amp speed control.

I need to balence it , I think it should be real close to the paper airplane, and it should be ready to fly. I'll video it as I usually do this weekend if weather is friendly. (I don't think this will be a windy- day plane, but it could also surprise me.........)
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:34 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
that is so funny i was just building the paper ones and flying them last night!
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:54 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
I'm sure it will leave the ground, but I have my suspicions about that rudder being so tall. It may tend to roll the plane in the opposite direction you intended to turn, just like my rcpowers F1 hydro did before he redesigned it. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Dec 17, 2008, 06:20 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcneal
I'm sure it will leave the ground, but I have my suspicions about that rudder being so tall. It may tend to roll the plane in the opposite direction you intended to turn, just like my rcpowers F1 hydro did before he redesigned it. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
But remember, I have the elevons that aren't so responsive. I put the rudder on "in case".

Who knows?
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Dec 21, 2008, 02:28 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,332 Posts
Totally Tubular....On a Stick

I got to see this when it comes out on Video!

Ron
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 04, 2009, 11:41 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Well you asked for it.

Hoopster Stick pt 1 (4 min 34 sec)

Hoopster Stick pt 2 (4 min 9 sec)
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal