Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Build Log
GWS FW-190 in EPO Foam

Hey Gang,

I have opened this thread to record the build of my GWS FW-190 in EPO foam. I received the kit as a birthday present from my folks. I have made a purchase at HobbyCity for Motor, ESC, Retracts, servos, etc. that should arrive tomorrow. I will attach pictures of all the items as I go.

Link to kit contents pictures.
Link to Motor, ESC package contents pictures.

Matt
mcsarge is offline Find More Posts by mcsarge
Last edited by mcsarge; Dec 18, 2008 at 08:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:51 PM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Pictures of the Kit

Here are some snaps of the kit showing the designation of EPO as the foam material.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:01 PM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Motor, ESC, Retracts, and servos...

Here are the critical parts I ordered for the FW-190. I also ordered a metal gear servo and some regular servos for the flaps, rudder, elevator and ailerons.

SKU Description

SUP40A SuperSimple 40A ESC
TR_PC TURNIGY BESC Programming Card
OR011-01701 Mechanical Retracts 3.5mm x 140mm
TR35-36C-1100 TR 35-36C 1100kv Brushless Outrunner

When the parts arrive (tomorrow) I will shoot some pictures and post them as well.

Link to the pictures:
Last edited by mcsarge; Dec 18, 2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added picture link
Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:08 PM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Building Plans...

This build will include the following:
  • Mechanical retracts
  • Functional Split Flaps
  • Independent aileron control (for aileron differential, if needed)
  • Finishing that will include: filling in the goofy pattern on the ailerons, filling a little of the panel lines; sanding; coating with WBPU; custom paint job; final layer of WBPU
  • Shortening the cowl to give a more scale-like appearance
  • Build/Buy scale-like engine fan for front of cowling
  • Spinner from Hobby Zone (done)
  • Pilot (if I can find a good one)
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:23 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Your FW will be almost exactly like mine. Be careful with the retract install, as they are too big for the plane and you will come close to the top side of the wing. The 35-36 is a lot of power...really makes this plane fun and fast. Its an amp hog though.

For the engine/cowl. Look at the parkzone. It is surprisingly really good looking.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:26 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
I hope you use the cool orange prop
Just kidding, watching with great interest.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Dec 17, 2008, 06:48 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Any idea how much the EPO version weighs vs the EPS? I expect it would be heavier, but I am wondering by how much?
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:49 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Pictures of Motor, Retracts and ESC...

Gang,

I actually received the shipment from HobbyCity yesterday. That is pretty good. I made the order on the 6th and received the package on the 17th! Here ae some shots of the contents.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:54 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24
Your FW will be almost exactly like mine. Be careful with the retract install, as they are too big for the plane and you will come close to the top side of the wing. The 35-36 is a lot of power...really makes this plane fun and fast. Its an amp hog though.

For the engine/cowl. Look at the parkzone. It is surprisingly really good looking.
Finch,

I think my retracts are way too big. I think I am going to sell them ones I just received and see if I can not find some smaller ones.

Also, how did you mount your motor? I can see now that the stick mount will not work with this big motor.

Matt
Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:55 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
Any idea how much the EPO version weighs vs the EPS? I expect it would be heavier, but I am wondering by how much?
Bill,

I will weigh all the parts tonight and post them here. I do not have the weight of the EPP one, however. Now I have to find my gram-scale...

Matt
Last edited by mcsarge; Dec 18, 2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:08 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
I have the EPS P-40 and the EPO FW190. I have not weighed them side by side - but the end product is not significantly heavier. I am using the same motor in the FW190 that I originally used on the P-40. Between the two, I think the FW190 flies better (but it has been aver a year since I flew the P-40 with that exact motor.)

Fly'em well
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 18, 2008, 01:33 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarge
...Also, how did you mount your motor? I can see now that the stick mount will not work with this big motor.

Matt
I made a plywood mount that I glued into a GWS Mustang. It works great with this size motor. See this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post10812960 I don't know how different the 190's cowl area is, but there should be enough room with minimal modifications. Good luck!
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Dec 18, 2008, 05:27 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarge
Finch,

I think my retracts are way too big. I think I am going to sell them ones I just received and see if I can not find some smaller ones.

Also, how did you mount your motor? I can see now that the stick mount will not work with this big motor.

Matt
Those retracts will work if you want them too. I will get in to detail if you do. I can send you a picture. Also, if you do use them, replace those dang struts!!! WAY too much weight for this little guy. Try some lighter weight semi-hollow steel tubing or something.

Go ahead and stick mount it. I did and it works great. No problems yet at all. Just be advised. You will see two spots on the firewall for a stick mount. BRUSHLESS MOTORS USE THE TOP HOLE!!!. The instructions tell you to glue the stick in when you glue the halves together...in the bottom hole. On the NEXT page...they tell you that if you use brushless, you use the TOP hole. I had to run out yesterday and buy some 3/8" hardwood square dowl to fix that mistake!!!
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:50 PM
Joined Jul 2008
27 Posts
Super Simple ESC

In the event your ESC seems to loose RPM's at WOT this thread on hobbycity.com may save you some time.

http://myhobbycity.com/showthread.ph...ple+esc&page=4

Todd
sandborn is offline Find More Posts by sandborn
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:03 AM
V=IR
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined May 2005
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandborn
In the event your ESC seems to loose RPM's at WOT this thread on hobbycity.com may save you some time.

http://myhobbycity.com/showthread.ph...ple+esc&page=4

Todd
Todd,

Thanks for this, I tested last night and it seemed to work fine at WOT for about 1 minute. Of note, my 40 does NOT program using the card, so maybe it is different than the others?

Matt
Last edited by mcsarge; Dec 19, 2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling