HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2008, 05:43 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3 Posts
Help!
Hobbyzone Super cub or Mini Super cub?

I am getting either the Super cub or mini Super Cub for Christmas, but I don't know which one to get. I have a field in my backyard about the size of one and a half soccer fields. There are a few aspects of the plane that I need compared.

1. How long can each plane fly with one full charge? and how long does it take to charge?

2. Can the mini Super Cub fly with wind, or does it have to be literally no wind?

3. How much room do you need to fly each plane. I'm guessing the Super Cub needs more space than the mini.

4. Can the Super Cub and mini do acrobatics easily? which one is better at loops etc...

Thanks for all the help!
fuzzynorman is offline Find More Posts by fuzzynorman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Welcome to RC Groups!

I'd have to say they're both equal with the aerobatic envelope (loops only), but for wind performance, both suck in it IMO. The mini will just get tossed around more. With that much space, you should easily be able to fly the super cub, especially since your first few flights will be 2-3 mistakes high (about 200-300 ft.). A full charge with both will yield around 8 minutes of flight, more with proper throttle management (but not much).
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 16, 2008, 09:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3 Posts
Thanks for the help! Maybe if I buy two batteries, I can charge one while I'm flying with the other one. I thought the super cub would have a longer battery life. Man this choice is tough!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:03 PM
Crash? Landing? Both?
Bay area in CA
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
Go with the big super cub. I've never seen a mini super cub, so my opinion is not as valid as others, but I just think the bigger one would be more fun...good luck in making your decision!!

-stuntflier91-
stuntflier91 is offline Find More Posts by stuntflier91
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:21 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
I own the original, and I got about 10minutes with the stock nimh battery.

It also depends on your future RC life- Do you want to get into Aerial Photography? Go big. Big also can handle some wind- I'm fairly experienced with mine and I only fly in about 10 mph winds...

Ask this same question on the ultimate hobbyzone super cub help thread part 3 thread too. some of those guys have both.
KMart
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Last edited by Kmart; Jan 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: I can't belive how bad my grammar was!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:24 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Hi, fuzzy, you have lots of fun ahead of you

My recommendation is the regular HZ SuperCub and here's why, and there are lots of factors. I have been through Minium PZ C210, Ember and Vapor, HZSC, modded PZ Spitfire and MiniUltraStick. Airplane performance does not scale up and the size, weight and design make a difference.

The advantage of really small planes is you can do them in a smaller area, they usually float easier on their own, and because of less inertia they survive crashing better. But any wind will send them tumbling. They are stable for ordinary flying, but aerobatic stuff is limited (unless you are an expert like Butch with his little custom boomers ) No doubt the Mini SC will be popular, partly because it's cheaper.

A regular size park flier takes somewhat more room and usually requires more stick control, but they fly more like the way most of us want to fly and handle some wind. They can do aerobatics, especially with mods.

How long the batts last is usually irrelevant once you get into flying. With the mental intensity of flying you'll need time to recover before next batt.

The regular HZ SuperCub is a great option because it is an excellent trainer and flies the way most basic RC planes fly. SC will handle ordinary light wind. It can be modded easy for perfomance aerobatics (see top of SC thread). My modded SC is still my favorite plane.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Dec 17, 2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:46 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3 Posts
Thanks everyone. I have decided I'm getting the regular SC. Of course, I won't get it until Christmas, but I'll post my opinions once I've had a few days with it.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:55 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflier91
Go with the big super cub. I've never seen a mini super cub, so my opinion is not as valid as others,

-stuntflier91-
Now you can say you saw one here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962575

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Feb 07, 2009, 01:30 PM
NYC
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
I bought the mini cub because I live in NYC. I live on the upper part of the island so I have pretty big fields to fly in. I have flown in 15 mph winds and it is a challenge, but fun. I have actually caught a current and have flown 20 minutes with out power. I'm thinking about the super cub, but I have to make some space in my apt. I also like the face that it is less noticeable. Keeps the parks dept off my back.
troynyc is offline Find More Posts by troynyc
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
If you have the extra cash and space, get the reg. SC. If not, stick with the mini. the mini does great with a little wind, because it's easier to do loops.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Sep 09, 2013, 05:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2013
18 Posts
If you are a beginner, go with the mini!
neilwu97 is offline Find More Posts by neilwu97
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)