HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:33 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
I have the GP Electrify Fokker DR1 - running a ultrafly b06/10 outrunner. Still awaiting maiden as the ailerons are working together - I'm sure I soldered the aileron extensions correctly but will try reversing one lead.

Had my best thermal flights this morning - I was averaging 1.30 to 2.30 minutes each glide down after motoring up. This morning in a tiny whisper of a breeze I got 5.24 and a bit over 8 minutes on my second! I found going in wider circles with minimal bank angle kept me at altitude. At one point I was actually gaining altitude! I took a little bit of weight out of the nose putty and it made a huge difference - Stoked!

I'm really enjoying this plane. Took the PA Addiction out afterwards just to keep my thumbs up to speed....
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:18 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
I have the GP Electrify Fokker DR1 - running a ultrafly b06/10 outrunner. Still awaiting maiden as the ailerons are working together - I'm sure I soldered the aileron extensions correctly but will try reversing one lead.

Had my best thermal flights this morning - I was averaging 1.30 to 2.30 minutes each glide down after motoring up. This morning in a tiny whisper of a breeze I got 5.24 and a bit over 8 minutes on my second! I found going in wider circles with minimal bank angle kept me at altitude. At one point I was actually gaining altitude! I took a little bit of weight out of the nose putty and it made a huge difference - Stoked!

I'm really enjoying this plane. Took the PA Addiction out afterwards just to keep my thumbs up to speed....
The Fokker is great some pics of mine
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3678
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3689
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3750
And maiden flight report here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3726

And I love the Addiction.

Back on topic that's great news with the ASW28. We had some great thermals on Sunday. The guy I was flying with used to fly thermal competition and he reckons we were at about 1000ft. But the awesome thing is that we only ran the motors to about 400ft! That's 500-600ft of thermal lift!!! Bloody great fun. It was also really cool when we were both in the same thermal one glider about 50-100ft above the other one and both circling up together. Love it.
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2009, 01:31 PM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Mr. K,
Clovus,

I.

I asked before, but, since you both are well in the ST ASW28 flight experience saddle, I wanted to ask again.

If you didn't have an ST glider yet, and you could get either of the below within $25 or so, of each other (likely will be more, but assume only $25 difference for now). which would you choose?

ST ASW 28, wing load 24.7 g/dm2, photos

79" 4ch, 1000-1300 mah 2s lipo bl, 18oz, 10x6 prop

ST DG 1000, wing load 33.3 g/dm2, photos

79" 5ch, 1300 mah 3s lipo bl, 26oz, 7x5 prop, rms

II.

I like St DG1000 for its foam, 79" wing, ailerons, scale design of a sharp looking real glider, and its
1) bigger likely longer running and more powerful 3s battery,
2) high mounted prop being less vulnerable in crashes,
3) retractable motor as something new and different

I like the ST ASW28 for its foam, 79" wing, ailerons, scale design of a sharp looking real glider, and its
1) lighter wing load (see stats above, ... should this mean better thermal power off gliding?),
2) lower price.

Questions:
a) Since the ST ASW28 has a lighter wing load,

does this generally mean it should glide better, and thermal better, and have longer "power off flight times" than the heavier wing loaded ST DG1000?

b) Since the heavier ST DG1000 has a more powerful 3s lipo (and possibly more powerful motor to handle the 3s), will I notice it has a notably faster "Climb to Power off High Altitude Point", ... even though its heavier than the ST ASW28?

III.

If I bought the ST ASW28 from hobby city (only usa source I know of so far), ... it comes with two free 1300 mah 2s lipo batteries, ... instead of the 1000 mah 2s lipo batteries yours came with.

That may mean a little extra run time, but, the 1300 mah 2s would also be heavier than 1000 mah 2s, correct?

Would the 1300 mah extra wt., be enough heavier wing loading, that I would notice an adverse unfavorable affect on the ASW28 thermal, glide, and/or power off flight time capabilities, vs. the 1000 mah batteries?

Thanks.
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Jan 26, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,245 Posts
I'd choose the ASW. Mostly because I prefer it's shape and profile.

I have seen the DG1000 in my LHS and the pop up motor is very cool. But could be a problem waiting to happen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:12 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Cashie,

I'd still go the ASW28 - my flying is essentially floating around the park trying to find thermals so I don't want to caryy any extra weight.

I would think the extra mAh would negate the need for extra weight (I've got 9.8grams of clay stuck under the front of the canopy) to meet CoG. It took me a few flights to figure out the characteristics but now I'm just stoked with it. The only two problems I've noticed.... sometimes the prop doesn't completely fold - fixed with a squirt of the throttle and/or diving to get some speed. The second problem is my wings have maybe half a cm of horizontal play, even though I've tightened the spar screws.

Long term wise, these planes are obviously built to a price so I'd be concerned that the folding mechanism for the motor on the DG1000 might not be very durable.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
(I've got 9.8grams of clay stuck under the front of the canopy) to meet CoG.
Are you running the standard battery? Mine is EMax 1000mah 10 or 12c (can't remember) discharge?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:12 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Yeah, all stock. I've been thinking of taking a bit of clay out but the weather has been poor lately.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 04:04 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,245 Posts
Hmmm I'm sure I've got about 25grams in mine. Will have to check this out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:12 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Woah!

That's heaps, unless your battery is lighter then the stock one. (bear in mind I'm a noobie at this so wouldn't question your setup). I am used to flying radically rearward CoG from my 3D ships.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 06:06 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,245 Posts
Yeah me too re the rearward CG. But I have the ASW balanced as recommended and it flies great. What battery do you have? Have you weighed it? I might try a flight with 1/2 the weight I currently have in it. I haven't done the classic dive test with it to see what that says about my CG.

So many planes to build, trim and fly and so little time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:16 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Mr K,

I'm using the stock no name 2S 1000mAh. Weighs 57.6grams with connector.

Finally, after raining on and off the whole long weekend it's not raining today. Even though the field will be muddy I'm going out!

Clovus
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:05 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Asw 28 ......

Just got an ASW 28 ,seen one fly a couple of weeks back, guy had the 1300 zippy in the nose, but appeared to be flying nose heavy ???
Anyway mines got the same pack and ready to go .....
Tails got the jelly wobbles a bit on mine, don't know whether this will cause any problems ?? One of the wingtips ,curved bit, was bent and distorted in the packaging, ended up glassing the wing tips ...
junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:13 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
22,703 Posts
just a hint you probably already know it but these are not 3D aircraft and a rearward CG in a thin high aspect wing will end in a rekitting of your glider .
SteveW just thought it was worth mentioning
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: done
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:58 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,245 Posts
The Zippy 1300mah 2s weighs 80 grams. Me and Evo62 are getting great flying in the 70-80 gram range of nose weight which is the standard 1000mah battery plus a bit of added weight, which puts the CG pretty much as recommended.

Let us know how it goes and what you think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:41 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Good onya Junglejim,

Where did you get yours from?

It took me a while to get a handle on it as it's different to my other planes. My tail is also very flexible - still flies, I think it's due to the EPO being so thin. As an aside, medium CA and kicker will give a quick fix, but hotglue seems to work better on the wings (maybe 'cas they flex so much?).

Clovus