SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
... Had 10-12 motor runs of about 30-40secs for a total of 6 minutes total run time on the motor. ... light thermal conditions this gave a total flight time of between 25 and 30 minutes. ... There was another homebuilt eglider up which thermals really well and the ASW28 thermalled just about as good ...
Clovus,
Brett,

Thanks for the insights/feedback.

My 55" Wild hawk typically gets a total flight time 15 - 17 minutes. Still seems hard to find thermals. To get to around 1000 feet up, it takes around 5 or 6 minutes.

25 - 30 minutes of total time with the st aws28, sounds great, with a 2s 1000 mah lipo.

Might 1300 mah 2s lipo batteries, (two included free with the hobby city pnp/arf asw28 package), have 20% - 30% longer total "motor on" flight time vs. 1000 mah 2s lipos?

The extra weight of the 2s 1300 mah lipo may still allow a good cg, since you mentioned it needs lead for good cg with the 1000 mah lipo battery.

If I buy the 79" st asw28, should I notice more speed and power with the 18 oz. asw28 2s brushless - lipo setup,
... compared to my present 20 oz. 55" wild hawk 400 brushed motor 7s 1300 mah ni-mh setup?

If so, how much more? ... 20%? 50%?

Brett,
Clovus,
Steve,

Having seen fly, and/or having flown, the st asw 28,

which plane would you likely prefer, if the price of each were within $25 or so (there will likely be a bigger price difference, but, pretend for this comparison, they are within $25 of each other):

The ST ASW 28, wing load 24.7 g/dm2, photos

79" 4ch, 1000-1300 mah 2s lipo bl, 18oz, 10x6 prop

... (lighter for favorable thermaling (?), less powerful 2s lipo & possibly less flight time motor battery setup than a 3s lipo setup(?), but the 2s benefit from lighter weight that helps fight times vs. 3s lipo batteries where the extra weight of the 3s reduce the 3s extra power benefit (?) ),

or

The ST DG 1000, wing load 33.3 g/dm2, photos

79" 5ch, 1300 mah 3s lipo bl, 26oz, 7x5 prop, rms

... (heavier giving ok but maybe less favorable thermaling and/or quality of glide flight (?) due to similar 79" wing size, but more weight and wing load (?), more powerful & longer fly time motor & 11.1v 3s 1300 mah lipo at least partially offset by about 50% more weight (?), extra channel for retractable motor similar to its 100% scale model)

?

Maybe the big questions:

1) Will the 35% heavier wing load (listed above) of the ST DG 1000, vs. the ST ASW28, ... make the DG 1000 undesirable for thermals, and give it noticeable inferior glide flight quality and/or shorter motor off glide times, ... than the ST ASW28?

2) What is your "climb time" to 1000 feet up estimate, (starting from about 10 feet off the ground), for the more powered 3s lipo, 45% heavier ST DG1000 ... vs. the less powered 2s lipo, 31% lighter ST ASW28?

Thanks.
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Jan 11, 2009 at 01:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:15 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,391 Posts
I put back 998ma after my 6 minute power run. So I'd guess 5 mins would be better for battery longevity.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:34 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
I had a good 8 minute flight this arvo - mostly motor running I'm afraid . Will see what the charger says this evening.

I don't think it will take long to get some height. The climb angle at WOT seems to be around 30-40%, but I noticed when the wind gusted stronger it just rose vertically. After about 15 seconds it was plenty high enough for the football field I was flying in...at least until I get more confidence.

After flying in such windy conditions yesterday I'd go for the lighter wing loading with the ASW28 as it flew really well. Maybe the heavier model would offer more speed? I'm using an extra 10grams of clay at the very front and underneath the canopy so a bigger battery would be a good idea. Unfortunately my 1200 lipo is even lighter then the stock 1000mAh so probably not going to help.

Now I've flown with the new CoG (as per the manual) it is much better. Sadly, I had set up a nice landing approach today but decided to try go around one more time and ended up flying into a soccer pole. Cracked the port wing right where the aileron starts. Better break out the CA and kicker again...

Don't know your hawk, so can't offer any help re: speed comparisons. I would say the 3S would give a noticable kick in power, negating any extra weight when under power. I know I have a 3S and 4S setup in almost the same airframe (47" 3DHS Extra) and the extra power of the 4S is in another league.

IMHO, for the money I think the ST ASW28 is good value - shame it doesn't come sans trans.

Clovus

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:46 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
The climb angle at WOT seems to be around 30-40%, but I noticed when the wind gusted stronger it just rose vertically.
Yes I got the nose rising into the wind at WOT as well. Stalled a few times as it doesn't have the grunt for vertical. Might just mix some down elevator into full throttle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:27 AM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
... I think the ST ASW28 is good value - shame it doesn't come sans trans.
sans trans, $119 us $ + ship.

High ship (~ $36 us $), prefer free ship.

Free ship 78" 'no-ailerons' Radian e-glider @ Red Rocket Hobbies, RTF, 10% off first time customer, ... $225 us $.

Best pick, with lower or free ship, appears to be the ST ASW28 and ST DG1000. Both are
1) under 2lbs. total flying weight (qualifying for lower cost Park AMA membership),
2) large 79" 'scale' models of real gliders, and
3) brushless 'with ailerons'.
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Jan 13, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:38 AM
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
I have one question. Is these glider good for these money and i have lipo 2S 2150 mAh. Are these lipo to big for these glider?
easystar is offline Find More Posts by easystar
Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:59 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystar
I have one question. Is these glider good for these money and i have lipo 2S 2150 mAh. Are these lipo to big for these glider?
I think the ASW28 is very good value for the money.

I think the 2150mah batteries will be to big for it. I don't think you could even fit them under the canopy. But if you could, you would have to add weight to the tail to offset the extra weight in the nose. You would then be reducing it's thermalling capabilities. As I have said at it's recommended weight it does thermal well, but it is a very high aspect wing and too much extra weight is going to push up it's glide speed. Not really what you want when trying to stay in a thermal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:42 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
I second Mr K,

This is my first 'glider' style of plane and it is great fun. You can get plenty of time out of the stock 1000mAh lipo, it charges fast and besides they are cheap so you could always buy two or three and take them with you.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:07 AM
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
HobbyKing EPO ASW28 Is this glider in the air gliding with nice sound like thise? With motor off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjeZua5HcA
ASW 28 Simprop (2 min 32 sec)
easystar is offline Find More Posts by easystar
Old Jan 15, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,391 Posts
Nope. Mine doesn't play JJ Cale as it flies around.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,391 Posts
Bit of news guys. If you are going to thermal this one I suggest you put some dark markings of some sort on the bottom of the wings. This morning I was up with another guy that had a Multiplex Easystar and we were hooking some boomers. But a couple of times when we were wayyyyy up and specking out I lost orientation of the ASW28. I also lost it completely once when I glanced away from the plane and had an anxious few seconds until I picked it up again. Those white wings just vanish against the sky at height especially in strong sunlight. The Orange stars and stripes do nothing. The guy with the easy star had painted the bottom of his wings a dark colour and while not super pretty it was very visible at the same height that I was losing the ASW28.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2009, 05:44 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Mr K, were you thermaling sans motor?

I found it very hard to tell if I was in a nose down attitude when up high and ended up dropping out of a thermal. Maybe markings on the bottom front of the wings?

Clovus
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:39 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,391 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Mr K, were you thermaling sans motor?
Yep. Used the motor to about 350-400ft I guess. Ended up a lot more than twice as high as that! On one thermal I flew out of it on purpose as I was worried about losing the plane.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr Kamikaze; Jan 18, 2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:56 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Mr K,

What else do you have or is the ASW28 the be all , fly all thing?

Clovus
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:07 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,391 Posts
No ASW 28 is not all...

Gliders Flying
CMPro Discus CS 2.6 metre
NCFM M60
Off The Edge Sailplanes Scorpion