SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:23 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2008
173 Posts
The asw 28 uses a bell motor, so you may need to trim some foam from the nose in order to fit a prop.
This previous post, # 67 suggests a motor with more than enough power to rip the nose off the glider.
Some of the 2410's here might be more than powerful enough.
Mine pulls 80watts / 11amp (wot) from a 2 cell 20c battery on the stock 9x6 prop and that's good for a 30 degree climbout. If you start getting/running a higher watt motor, you'll likely need a bigger heavier battery to maintain flight times .... which defeats the purpose of gliding/thermaling. (it's not supposed to be a rocket, it's a lightweight glider).

I'm not sure how many watts the motor can pull before the motor overheats and smokes.
mikejincan is offline Find More Posts by mikejincan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:01 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
WOOHOO I picked up a basically brand new ASW28 on the Australian for sale thread for just $40. Just in time for the start of our warmer weather.
Wow that's a great deal! Kami... Thanks for starting this thread three years ago and still posting!
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:25 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,449 Posts
Wo it's been a while. I just reckon it's a great simple flyer. CHeap and thermals so well.

You might also be interetsed in this thread as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009654
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:59 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2008
173 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
WOOHOO I picked up a basically brand new ASW28 on the Australian for sale thread for just $40. Just in time for the start of our warmer weather.

Did it have army markings on it by any chance? lol

Truth be told, since it floats so well, your's probably floated right over the base and landed on the other side of the base fence.

One heck of a nice deal though.
mikejincan is offline Find More Posts by mikejincan
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
Wo it's been a while. I just reckon it's a great simple flyer. CHeap and thermals so well.

You might also be interetsed in this thread as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009654
Yes, another stellar thread posted by you. I'm sure to post in there soon, awaiting arrival of the ASW-28. Meanwhile, I will watch your slope video over and over again, amazing performer in high winds!

We mostly have thermal boomers here in northern Vermont off of fields with mountains right next to, sometimes it's ridge / thermal soaring? Also, always have a good wind from the north which helps. With my Radian I can routinely have 30min+ flights just at the edge of Lake Champlain hanging with the hawks.

I would love to join the duration thread! I think ill be in Grp. 1?
Purchased 3 Zippy 2S 1300mAh 20C packs (can't resist the deal at HK and available at USA warehouse), but I'll be adding my European graphic sticker sets http://kewlartdesigns.com, an ultra scale pilot in the canopy with mostly scale detailing and 3M packing tape to the LE and TE of the wings. Might try some on the tail section of the fuselage. Would these mods Bump me into Grp. 2 ?

ps... since this is an ST Model, there is lots of similar mention in here on the sister DG-1000. I have several of these and recently covered the fuselage of one with 3M Super77 spray glue, an old cloth cotton bed sheet, medium CA, Minwax Polycrilic water based coating and white paint. AUW came in at a surprisingly low 968 grams and this includes a custom built (fixed - working suspension with springs) landing gear.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:00 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Another quick question...

Just received the ASW-28 today. How do you remove the spinner?
Does it just pop off?

The spinner and prop are really light and different. I've compared the spinner to my Art-Tech ASK-21 and it looks to be the same or close. A 40mm spinner with a tighter angled tip would look a lot better than the black round'ish one.

What other spinners and props has everyone else used? TIA

Cheers, Thompson
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 20, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:15 AM
UK, North Down, Bangor
Joined Nov 2009
1,593 Posts
I think, don't have the model here. The spinner just pulls off. Underneath the prop hub is held on by 2 nuts, implying a threaded motor shaft.
venquessa is offline Find More Posts by venquessa
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:30 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
I figured out the spinner removal, thank you. Correct, it just pops off, then there are two nuts, a washer and the folding prop hub which screws onto the motor shaft. Remove the blades, hold the motor can with a pair of needle nose pliers and unscrew the hub - easy.

I just can't leave anything alone or stock, and I got my grubby hands on this sailplane before I've even flown it!

Some points after going through all the fixes in this thread and analyzing the sailplane...
- Spinner and prop look horrible. It might work well, but just has a pug nose look, poor little guy. I painted the stock one white which helps a little bit. Working on an easy direct scale replacement, stay tuned on this....

- Cockpit and canopy lines are over exaggerated in the roundness shape and the black tape had to go. I added my interpretation and feel with white vinyl to make the cockpit and canopy more scale looking.

- Winglets are so fragile that they feel like snapping off if touched too hard or if you looked at them wrong... Silly, TOTALLY fixed that, see note, photos and captions below.

(WINGLET NOTE: I've recently covered one of my ST models DG-1000 fuselages with light weight spackle filler (LWS), 3M Super77 spray glue, light cloth cotton fabric, CA glue (for the seams), Minwax Polycrilic Water Based Polyurethane (WBPU) and a final coat of Krylon white paint. STUNNING results and only added a little weight for a total AUW of 968 grams.

Anyway, I thought I would give a go with the ASW-28 winglets and try the same method but, instead of the Minwax WBPU I used Zap CA right on the cloth (yuppers, just soak 'er right up) to create an AMAZINGLY strong wing tip. Crazy. I almost need to run a strip of the same mixture under the wing to connect it on, it is that strong. After discovering this, I am contemplating covering my other DG-1000 fuselage the same way.)

Suisse ASW-28 graphics
Added some of my http://kewlartdesigns.com sticker set graphics from an extra proof set I had laying around of my ASK-21 kits and made it look special I'll be adding the ASW-28 set to my website.

Cockpit detailing
I dialed in an ultra scale HK pilot and painted the cockpit with Tamiya PC grey, black paints. I made the pilot a head rest seat by taking a photo from Alexander Schliecher's ASW-28 website of the REAL interior fabric, duplicating this into a fabric swatch in Photoshop, then printing it out on my ink-jet on paper to fit over a balsa head rest. Used 3M Super77 spray glue and applied the 'fabric' like it was the real deal, by making corner cuts, etc. then CA glued it in. Width is 1.85" for the seat.
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 21, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:35 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
209 Posts
i bit the bullet and whacked the wingrod in half. i inserted a slightly bent aluminium rod connecting the halves together with a few degrees dihedral. the results were amazing.

there is a huge increase in stability. the mild dihedral is also visually appealing. the plane is very easy to hold in thermal turns. i highly recommend adding dihedral to this bird.
HunnerBunner is offline Find More Posts by HunnerBunner
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:47 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnerBunner View Post
i bit the bullet and whacked the wingrod in half. i inserted a slightly bent aluminium rod connecting the halves together with a few degrees dihedral. the results were amazing.

there is a huge increase in stability. the mild dihedral is also visually appealing. the plane is very easy to hold in thermal turns. i highly recommend adding dihedral to this bird.
I had feeling this was going to be a good report back .

What was the length of the aluminum rod? And was it more of just a joiner?
What diameter? Thanks Hunner!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:08 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Here are the money shots !

The fragile winglets on our lovely ST model ASW-28 are no more... I am holding the weight of the wing by the winglet!!

- 3M Super7 spray glue
- Old cotton cloth bed sheet (with Edelweiss pattern )
- Zap Medium CA soaked into cloth
- Sanded with 220

I still have to final finish with Light Weight Spackle (LWS), sand with 400, and paint these red but, OMG they are strong!!! Totally AMAZING.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:21 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Sorry Aussies for mucking your regional thread up so much but, this is the most famous ASW-28 thread here. Guess I really should be posting all my gibberish and photos to my blog instead, hopefully someone gleaned useful tips. Carry on...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
I don't see anyone complaining!! I'm enjoying reading along with what you've done, though I think your taking the scale thing too far for a cheap foamie

Looks nice
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu956 View Post
I don't see anyone complaining!! I'm enjoying reading along with what you've done, though I think your taking the scale thing too far for a cheap foamie

Looks nice
Alright twist me arm mates!

Cheers, Thompson
"Scale Sailplane enthusiast on a foam budget "
Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:44 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,395 Posts
Painted winglets

I finished sanding the CA soaked cloth and painted the winglets with Krylon red pepper spray paint. I ended up adding another thin layer of CA to one side of the winglets. The first coat wasn't enough. Make sure to cover the fabric so you have a gel coat like depth. Sand as needed later to a smooth finish removing any high spots with 220, then 400.