HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:06 AM
Sydney
Joined Nov 2004
260 Posts
My guess is around $250, they should be here late February.
euromodels is offline Find More Posts by euromodels
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:53 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
I'll take a white 100% one thanks!!

Ok, the stock 1000 7.4 mAh lipo weighs 57.6grams with deans connector. Quality wise it's what I would expect for a cheap foamie.

Will give it a throw tomorrow morning if the rain holds off.

Clovus
Let us know how it goes then. As my LHS has them back in stock later this week and I'm still looking at getting one.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Jan 07, 2009, 02:33 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
OK, Took it out this morning. First toss showed a nice glide, not as great as I expected so I moved the battery back a 1cm or so. WOT and it takes off nicely, certainly not vertical but maybe a nice 45 degree climb.
I found it easy (too easy) to tipstall, feed in a bit of aileron and hold it for a fraction and down it comes. There was a bit of breeze - maybe 3-5 knots but the motor seemed to cut through ok.

I found it porpoises really easily so I might try reduce the elevator throw. It was a bit harder to fly smoothly then I though it would be, maybe the short fuse and long wingspan?

clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Jan 07, 2009, 02:37 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,055 Posts
nope you got it with your first statement Clovus to much elevator throw.
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jan 07, 2009, 02:39 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,055 Posts
wouldnt hurt to mix rudder in to the aileron as well. also you will findyour slightly nose heavy
SteveW
Old Jan 07, 2009, 02:46 AM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
One option for PNP/ARF, 5ch DG 1000 or 4ch ASW 28 models;

2.4ghz 6ch transmitter & 6ch receiver: $42 + $18 ship.
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Jan 07, 2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2009, 03:09 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Thanks for the info Steve, it's a lot harder to get lift from the wind then I thought. I've got to wean me off the motor- slowly.

I will change the Trans over to my JR and see if that helps.

Clovus
Old Jan 07, 2009, 03:19 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,055 Posts
elevators On T tails are far more responsive than your standard tail as they are in clear air no turbulance or vortices so go softly softly on that eleavator my glass 28 has a total movement or 4.0mm up and 4.0 down ailerons are not a concern ,except you will be better served using differencial 100% up 50% down I run 75% rudder mixed with ailerons and my 28 is just a delight to fly .Gliders fly on there wings not on the propeller
SteveW
Old Jan 07, 2009, 03:19 AM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
I found it porpoises really easily so I might try reduce the elevator throw. It was a bit harder to fly smoothly then I though it would be, maybe the short fuse and long wingspan? ... clovus
Check the neutral transmission position of your elevator. Is it perfectly flat?

If its up, twist the control horn to bring it down to flat. Retry.

If its flat, twist the control horn to bring it to slightly below flat. Retry.

Can you shift any weight forward, without adding weight? Such as shifting the battery forward. If so, shift it forward 1/4" to 1/2" at a time, and retry. Keep shifting forward, until your at the max forward, or at the best flight glide result. Experiment to find the best position.

Note, where the center of gravity (CG) becomes, as you shift the battery forward, and back, and compare that to the factory recommended CG.

Generally, if porpoising, you need more weight forward, or more down elevator while at the transmitter neutral position, or both.

Sometimes it flys better, at different CG positions, than what the manufacturer suggests.

For example, my 55" $65 RTF Harbor Freight Wild Hawk, fly's best with both 1) the battery moved forward about 1.7" from where the manufacturers picture suggests its supposed to be, and 2) a net slight down elevator. When both these changes are made just right, it changes from a "terrible awful impossible flying plane" out of the box, to become a "beautiful sight to behold gliding glider".

In addition to putting a small spot on the underside of the wing, at the manufactures suggest CG, you might try to calculate it yourself, using the "nasa center of gravity calculator", putting down a second CG mark on the under wing.

Last, if you ever find that perfect sweet spot CG, put a spot on the under wing for that too. Or at least note it relative position, to the spots you've already made.

Generally, make only one change at a time (for porpoising, elevator down or weight shift forward), and then test, change, test, change, test, ... noting the change result.

Lets us know what happens.

(A last adjustment for porpoising, is to add weight to the front, but only do so, as a last resort, if the other two adjustments above don't get rid of it all.)
Old Jan 07, 2009, 03:23 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,055 Posts
NOOOOOOOO its nose heavy already lol
the see sawing effect is created by the nose heavy position requiring over use of elevator to compensate resulting in a climb followed by a dive and the cycle repeats, in planks this is called hyper stall . the same applies here reduce elevator throw and try it then move the Cg slighly aft
SteveW
P.S you will find manufactures CoG is usually forward to be on the safe side .
Last edited by steve wenban; Jan 07, 2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2009, 03:27 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Cheers Cashie,

Yeah, I checked all the control surfaces, everything is neutral. Cog is as per the recommended, I will experiment tomorrow.

Another observation, the 7.4v 1000 mAh lipo looks really small, much smaller then my 3S 1000 mAh's, closer to my 750 lipo's.

CLovus
Old Jan 07, 2009, 04:23 AM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
NOOOOOOOO its nose heavy already lol
the see sawing effect is created by the nose heavy position requiring over use of elevator to compensate resulting in a climb followed by a dive and the cycle repeats, in planks this is called hyper stall . the same applies here reduce elevator throw and try it then move the Cg slighly aft
SteveW
P.S you will find manufactures CoG is usually forward to be on the safe side .
Well, ok Steve, you have many more planes than I.

The Harbor Freight $69 RTF 55" Wild Hawk

is my first (July 2008) and only plane type (I have two).

Maybe you can elaborate on the porpoising correction, so if I'm not thinking about this right, I can fix it.

You may be right about the ASW 28 being too front heavy already, since, my plane is a pusher (motor high on top of fuselage with prop behind the back of main wing), and the 28 has the motor weight all up front.

But on my plane, the first time I got it to fly right when new, when it was initially porpoising bad, was when I added a heavy rock half the size of a golf ball, to the front cockpit.

Then lately, I noticed the advantage to my plane, of not only moving the battery forward so I dont need the rock, thereby shifting the weight forward, ... but also, giving it down elevator, which helps also to get rid of porpoising.

However, on my plane, the stabilizer, is strangely slightly pointing down in the front, and not level with the wings. They are glued in flat, and that's the way they came out positioned (or I would try to level them).

So, to offset that, it seems to need, a bit of down elevator, to create a sort of airfoil (maybe ?), ... and the last flight the porpoising was gone, and it glided maybe the best ever.

Whats going on with my plane, when the porpoising disappears, and glide flight returns to near perfect, ... when the 7s 1300 mah ni-mh battery is shifted forward 1.7" - 2" from manf spec., and a net very slight down elevator is set for the neutral transmitter trim position?

Thanks.
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Jan 07, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2009, 11:53 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,055 Posts
Not knowing the design of you aircraft , but hearing what you have said the fact is if the leading of the stab is down then you have a negative incidence on the tail to the wing .This means effectively your flying with Up elevator applied , to counteract this you have moved the CG forward to dampen the elevator effect. You would find that by resetting the incidence of the tail to zero zero with the wing that you would be moving the weight rearward . Kit manutfactures mass produce and Quality Control is pretty poor unless of course your buying a top dollar mouldie which a hand crafted anyway and usually on special order so you getting a model that set to the correct design limits . But thats by the by your aircraft is nose heavy but the reason for it is to not having to cut the stab off and reglue it at zero to the wing centre line . The ASW 28 stab are more powerful than the standard crucifix tail plan because they are in clean air so are much more effective like i said my 28 only has 4.0 mm up and 4.0 mm down throws which is more than enough for it to perform full aerobatics . Hope that explains whats happening to your machine
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Jan 08, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 01:59 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Cheers Steve,

Took it out again this morning but found out (the hard way) the EZ connector to the elevator was not quite snug enough. It was tight enough when I moved it by hand but the air pressure must've been a bit stronger then the force I gave it. It came down pretty heavy on the nose and cracked the ply tab on the canopy and a cracked the sides of the fuse below the canopy.

All a easy fix. Moved the batt back and the glide ratio is better.

Clovus
Old Jan 08, 2009, 03:20 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,055 Posts
Sorry to hear bout the sudden arrival but lucky its foam glass does not respond as well to kissing dirt.
SteveW