HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:19 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
Here's a tip ,
Flaperons= 98%loss of roll control ,not what you want on landing
Spoilerons work well and you maintain roll control but on these little ASW I doubt that either would be effective . And even though I have both set up on my glass Scalies ,like mr K I land without them .
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:34 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
I don't know if I would bother with them either.

The fuse doesn't seem to mind coming in a little bit hot, as long as it's grass. Mines holding up fine, even though I do overshoot the landing occasionally. I reckon you could even do touch'n'goes if you kept enough speed to bounce high enough to let the prop blades clear the ground.....

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
53 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll finish it up today on a y lead,
cheers, jd
johnniea4k is offline Find More Posts by johnniea4k
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:10 AM
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Yes, I rigged up my ASW28 for spoilerons, with something like 30 degrees deflection. I couldn't notice any difference with them on or off. Another theory was that having spoilerons on might help prevent tip-stalling, but the jury is still out on that one. I did some testing, but it was pretty inconculsive. I really don't think I got any benefit from using 2 channels for the ailerons. If I ever add other stuff later and run out of channels, I'd have no hesitation in putting the ailerons back onto the Y splitter.
surfdabbler is offline Find More Posts by surfdabbler
Old Apr 27, 2009, 09:22 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
Well I bought a 2nd battery for the ASW this morning and just got back from an hour or so at the local sports field.

I fly at Hammondville and there was a thunder storm building in the far distance when I first arrived but still plenty of sunshine. I was flying in a different spot to what I am used to so I had to do a bit of "hunting" at first to find the action. Then a thermalling eagle gave it away, how cool. I zoomed up to where he was and away I went. Turned out there was pretty much a line of continual thermals rolling across the field a little way out from where I was standing. Fly out one way, hook into them, circle across the field, glide down to where I was, then power back to the start again. I hooked one beauty and ended up at what I call "squinting height" man it was a long way up. I kept glancing at my watch, checking how much run time I had left, was counting the seconds in my head on each motor run. I knew I was on a good time. At one stage I ended up over the car park of the sports club next to the field, I was looking for cheap lift off the bitumen and found it. I was at about 200 meters height and still circling away from myself and I needed to start it heading back. So I pointed it towards me and nothing! No penetration at all, seems it was a bit windy up there. I wasn't going to waste motor time flying it back so I nosed down and it took about 20-30 degrees nose down to get it to fly back. In the end after the mandatory 5 minute motor run time I got 30 minutes 40 seconds. Wish I knew where those thermals where when I first went up as I basically wasted my first 40-50 second motor run as I was straight in sink when I powered off. Still 30:40 is a good time.

Picture this. I didn't want to forget that time and still had another battery to fly. It was totally clouded over now with the storm really building. So I ran back to my car and wrote down the time. Ran back to the plane and tx and put the 2nd battery in. I started the same pattern again but the fun was over. A few small thermal patches but nothing like earlier. Amazing how quickly the conditions changed. Anyway I kept at it. About 10 minutes in I glanced behind me and up and thought holy crap! Here it comes. What the hell, the next motor run was straight up at the storm. Well the poor light ASW was getting smashed! It was rough as hell up there and it was showing it. Anyway it was fun but not good for long flight times. Ended up about 20 minutes.

This a great little thermaller for the price and I'm loving it.

BTW I just checked my local weather station and the wind peaked at 72kph (45mph) in the storm a little high for this plane!
Mr K

It is good to hear that she is a GOOD Thermal performer!

I am just getting one together and thought I would post some pics of my initial mods!

I am having that much fun with the ST Skylane at the moment(and since October 08 when I maidened her)... kit also from Hobbycity....and I hope the ASW28 will be equally a pleasure to fly!

Keep this thread Rolling guys!!

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Old Apr 27, 2009, 09:45 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,449 Posts
Same pilot I have in my CM Pro Discus 2.6m He's not too heavy for the AWS28? Doesn't screw the CG?
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:08 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
Same pilot I have in my CM Pro Discus 2.6m He's not too heavy for the AWS28? Doesn't screw the CG?
Don't forget I have cut 3/4 of him away...and perhaps may make up for the weight you added in earlier posts to match the 43mm COG position which I assume you are still using?...Will be using Rhino batteries and will juggle things around in need...

HJ
Old Apr 27, 2009, 05:33 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've been more then impressed with the crash-resistant EPO foam after a few bingles. Anyway got me thinking if I timed the angle right I wondered if I could kind of manage a touch-n-go. I was out flying the other day and had to bring it in so I could get to work on time. Was in a great thermal too and surely would've beaten 30 minutes, but there you go. As I was diving down I decided why not give it a go? Yeah, I know what you are all thinking.....

and.....

You are right! I got the angle a little bit wrong and she did 'bounce' alright! If the canopy and battery had not ejected themselves from the plane I think I could've kept flying, albeit at a much reduced altitude. The only damage was the ply cockpit latch snapped and the foam split in the middle of the fuse where the hatch sits. No biggie to repair, but I think I might just practice thermal chasing from now on.

Clovus
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet
Don't forget I have cut 3/4 of him away...and perhaps may make up for the weight you added in earlier posts to match the 43mm COG position which I assume you are still using?...Will be using Rhino batteries and will juggle things around in need...

HJ
Yep still at that CG.

Hey Clovus you know you can get planes with wheels for that kind of thing
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Apr 28, 2009, 03:33 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Yeah I know, it was just a momentary lapse of sanity....

I still get blown away to see it sail past me. It's great to come down low with some speed, scoot by at head height and then climb again hoping to nab a quick thermal.....
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:41 PM
Czech Republic
Joined Apr 2009
54 Posts
Hi, do anyone know standard motor parameters? My friend want to buy the RTF version of ASW 28... and wonder to know what motor is there. I have not been able to find it anywhere.

- Rpm/V
- Watts
- Input voltage
- Weight

Or at least, what another brushless motor could be its equivalent. Thanks.
zdekar is offline Find More Posts by zdekar
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:42 PM
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Hey HondaJet,

Nice work with the pilot. I was looking at these pilots the other day, but decided they were too large for the plane. It's not too bad, but I think 1:9 scale would be about right. He looks great in there though, and the double bonus is he can help you find thermals, and if your radio dies, he can bring the plane back for a safe landing.

The spinner looks heaps better in white.
surfdabbler is offline Find More Posts by surfdabbler
Old May 02, 2009, 07:08 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdabbler
Hey HondaJet,

Nice work with the pilot. I was looking at these pilots the other day, but decided they were too large for the plane. It's not too bad, but I think 1:9 scale would be about right. He looks great in there though, and the double bonus is he can help you find thermals, and if your radio dies, he can bring the plane back for a safe landing.

The spinner looks heaps better in white.
Thanks.... Surfdabbler

Without cutting back to the collar line a bit ...yes too big...Head is just a tad
off scale...but heck not noticeable at a distance of 3 metres or so ! Had to cut out a oval piece in the EP base and he is just held in there with two pieces of blue tac.

HJ
Old May 10, 2009, 08:44 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,596 Posts
Also noted that HobbyCity is running down its stock of ST models because Sheng Teng have decided not to supply to them anymore for commercial reasons etc!

Whatever, their line was always good value at HobbyKing /Hobbycity and it is a shame they have decided to go down this path with HC.

I also note the the EP version of this ASW28 this forum is about has been sold out and no longer listed on their aircraft tab.....although spares are still available on backorder!

I have not maidened mine yet....still doing small mods like adding a lightweight
landing wheel (with some internal plastic strip flexing) for slight give on landings and
wingtip EP ground contact skids.

My COG appears to be spot on the 43 mm area with all the extras, Pilot etc and battery 2s 1250mAh (also 1050mAh) /Rx installed with a small weight penalty......should be ok for soaring I hope!! W'ell See........

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; May 11, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:06 PM
Joined Dec 2007
53 Posts
Mine's ready to go but winter has started in here about a week ago and no chance of flying for at least a few more days. I have a 3S 1500 Lipo in it and a little lead in the tail to balance at the recommended place. I had to carve some foam out of the canopy to seat the battery stacked up at an angle. While the weather is bad I'm tempted to put some paint on so I'm experimenting with that having read various posts on the subject of painting EPP. cheers, jd
johnniea4k is offline Find More Posts by johnniea4k