Gluggy is offline Find More Posts by Gluggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:05 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Gluggy,

I've decked mine many times, now the front is pretty floppy with glue but it still flies well. It seems the cockpit is the weak area - the EPO is pretty thin there. Nothing hot glue or CA and kicker can't fix.
Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
your not wrong Evo, as well as holding all the gear and having a very round undercarriage...it was meant to break I also can't see why they would make the cockpit cover with a severe curved bottom, it greatly reduces the room to get the batt, esc and rx in comfortably It would be have been so easy to make the cockpit with a few recessed areas to hold the RX at least. I ended up velcroing the RX up in the nose area where the small recess is currently. I also dremelled a channel down one side of the fuz to extend the motor wires to the back more so I could velcro the esc on the floor under the servos for the elevator and rudder. This at least gives some airflow over the batt at the front, the esc further back and the RX is away from both of them with some space around it. I never like putting the RX too close to any of the other elecs for heat and interference reasons. I may need to rebalance everything for the right CG but at least now I can access all the parts without pulling everything out.

Do you pull the wings out when you transport the glider evo or leave them in place. I'm just worried about damaging the wing tips as they're so thin and flexible and at a 2m wingspan, I can only just get it into the car fully built. I was going to look at adding an extra extension to the aeileron servo wires so I could remove the wings without having to uncouple them from the cockpit each time. Has anyone else looked at making the wings demountable?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:50 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,374 Posts
I pull mine apart for transport. Takes about 2 minutes to get ready to fly.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:11 PM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
I must have chunky fingers Brett, I find it hard to get the servo ends into the small slot in the fuz. Did you extend the leads or just have sweet girly fingers
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:37 PM
Shhhhh
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Jan 2006
610 Posts
Hi there Gluggy

I have the Asw 28 and I have extended the servo wires so the wings can be folded along the fuse for transport.....

I do this with all my slopies to be honest even the small FVK asw 24 which is 1.2m and the cheapo chinese fox....

Have been doing it foe years....it means I can take a quiver of 4 or 5 models to the slope in the wagon

Just my $0.02 AUD

Roachie
Roachie is online now Find More Posts by Roachie
Old Feb 27, 2009, 04:51 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Hiya Glugster,

I leave it all together and slide the wing in between the front seats of my Honda Jazz. Amazing what you can fit in such a little car,. I was carrying 72m of Yellow Balau decking on the roof and the guy at the timber yard commented that "he didn't know they made a 1 ton Jazz". It will carry my 3DHS Extra SR and PA Addiction as well as the ASW28 and still have room for chargers, batteries and odd paraphenalia.

Don't be too worried about the wingtips, I have accidently bent one right over and it just sprung back. I also snapped one wing right off and just hot glued it back into place. I was flying in some pretty strong winds yesterday, pointing into the wind, diving to gain speed and forward progress then climbing back up, diving,climbing etc. You could see the wings flexing like crazy but it all seems to hold together.

Clovus
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:18 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,374 Posts
I love it! Another good flight with the ASW this morning hooked two huge thermals and specced it wayyy out. I thought I was going to beat my record of 38 minutes from one battery but just fell short at 36 minutes. I mixed more rudder into ailerons this morning it's at 65% now and the thermal turns were nice and flat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:31 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
38 minutes...Woah! My best is 8!!! Is this off a slope or thermal hunting on flat land? Finally got it hands off gliding with a touch of 'up' elevator and took all the clay out. Will try some mixing some rudder aileron and see if I can improve.

Clovus
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:34 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,374 Posts
What do you think about this guys?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post11697833
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:44 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
I'm in. Great idea.

C
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:01 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
I mixed more rudder into ailerons this morning it's at 65% now and the thermal turns were nice and flat.
Cheater
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Mar 01, 2009, 03:30 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee
Cheater
M'eh, Whatever works best I guess. Someone else told me you don't use expo when flying gliders. I figure it may have been a throwback from when peeps had 2 ch radio's and got into gliding 'cas it was cheaper then paying for fuel and that's the way it was always done. I say embrace any technological assistance.... (let's face it, I'm grateful for any extra help)

Clovus
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:25 PM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,914 Posts
I know plenty of guys who have been flying gliders for years and dont use expo. they told me they never needed it.
I used to fly 3D before Slope and regularly ran 60% expo. I couldn't understand why they didnt use it. When I first started sloping I was running about 30% on ailerons and 15% on elevator.

Weird thing is over time I just stopped programming it and now I rarely use any, I think I have one model with 5% in the elevator because its so pitch sensitive and thats about it. I don't even think to add any when I'm setting up a new pane.
I just find it mushes the plane up (thats the idea right) and the last thing I want on the slope is a mushy plane.

You really get used to it after a while, saying that, flying gliders is very different to yanking 3D planes around the sky. Theres far less stick banging involved.

As for rudder aileron to clean up turns, I've just always enjoyed flying my rudder and wouldnt dream of mixing it. Personal preference I guess.
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Mar 02, 2009, 11:46 PM
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Posted a question here the other day, but I don't think I posted it, because it's gone.

Anyone flying their ASW28 on 2.4GHz? I've got a Spektrum system, and noticing the range is really bad with the receivers inside the cockpit, like around 15 paces on a range check. I've currently set it up with the main receiver at the back of the cockpit, under the servos, with the antenna fore and aft. The 2nd receiver is currently on the roof, as far back from the canopy as the wires will let me, with the antenna left-right. This setup gives about 20 paces on a range check.

I haven't had too many issues in the air yet with this setup. With both receivers inside, I flew a long way up just to see how far it would go, and it seemed to drop out a long way up. But since moving the 2nd RX onto the roof, I've flown a long way out with no range issues.

For comparison, with the receiver spread out on the grass outside of the plane, I get about 60 paces.

Anyone else got any good ideas for receiver placement?

Also noticed a few comments about the canopy strength here. I had a few hard landings early on, and the canopy popped off every time. I am now taping the canopy on, and I think this greatly strengthens the front of the shell too, by adding the strength of both halves.
surfdabbler is offline Find More Posts by surfdabbler