SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:18 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
I'm at 53mm back. I now have over three hours of flying time and am finding it easier to keep in the air - perhaps due to the increased sensitivity. At that CoG the power off glide is as flat as I can get it.

The only thing I notice is it needs a bit of forward speed, if I slow it down too much (flying directly into the breeze) it tends to nod the nose down, like a mini stall. The good news is it only takes a tiny bit of extra speed to recover.

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:45 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,188 Posts
If its slowing down like that even in level flight its 1 of 2 things 1. the incidence angle of wing and tail are positive or 2. your slightly tail heavy which I feel you are hence the sensitive elevator response you dont want a flat glide thats heading to a stall a good glide is slightly nose down and moving making the wing work and creating lift .
SteveW just throwing in 2 cents worth
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:55 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,297 Posts
Sorry guy5927 didn't mean to rub it in !!!!!
Local Melbourne weather lately has been bloody hot !!
I'm sure there'd be a lot of Melbunites that would gladly swap weather with you, we've got more to come as well
I reckon you'd still be in with a chance getting some lift out of any conditions flying the ASW 28 , chimney's etc ........

Thanks Mr cash, will check my cg measurement before next flight.....

Evo62, I'd rather carry a heavier battery than have to use noseweights ..

Mr kamikaze
Wow!!! Those Discuss 2.5 metre jobs really flex the wings , I did a loop with mine when i first got it and heard a loud crack !! Thinking i had cracked the carbon wing spar I landed only to find the wings had creep or forced their way out on the metal wing shafts with still tightened grub screws, but nothing actually broke ....... loud scary sound tough
junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Old Feb 05, 2009, 02:56 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,368 Posts
Agree Steve. I have taken a small amount of lead out of mine and it is more prone to stall. As I have said earlier this is easy to fly around at low altitudes but when high it's much harder to see the planes attitude. But you do see it when it stalls.

I was flying mine at Lunchtime at a new site today, The Macquarie Uni site, and I got too cocky getting close to a big light pole. Tapped it with a wingtip, went into a spin and put it in on it's nose from about 15ft up. Broke the foam above the slot that the canopy lug slides into at front of canopy. And very little bend in prop shaft. I taped it back together at the field and kept flying, fixed it at home in 5 minutes with epoxy.
Mr Kamikaze is online now Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Feb 05, 2009, 03:52 AM
Registered Abuser
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
608 Posts
Trimming and CofG

The link evo posted didn't work 4 me.

Try this: http://www.slnt.org/articles/gordys_...e_articles.htm
Another from Mark Drela: http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...GMarkDrela.htm

Funny how you find some conflicting info from some of the best pilots.

It is a personal thing, but I think that Gordy's statement about "almost no down elevator when inverted" is a little on the tail heavy side, and prefer a small, comfortable amount of down elevator when inverted to be better.

Also the dive test is only useful if you have a very stiff and rigid glider.

David hobby's comments on "nose down/nose up" I feel is more about trim and flying speed than CofG IMO. He is right about the control inputs spoiling the glide though.

Just my 2 bobs worth.
Kentucky is offline Find More Posts by Kentucky
Last edited by Kentucky; Feb 05, 2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2009, 09:07 AM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
If its slowing down like that even in level flight its 1 of 2 things 1. the incidence angle of wing and tail are positive or ...

Please clarify/explain positive and negative wing incidence.

Is + when the front edge of the stabilizer, is pointing down, relative to the center core line of the wing? Or?

Thanks.
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Feb 05, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2009, 01:20 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,188 Posts
positive leading edge up in relation to aircraft centreline and leading edge down is negative the difference between the incidence angles of the wing to tail is called the decolage angle of attack is the angle of which the leading edge is presented to the airflow for example giving up elevator incerease the angle of attack of the wing .
SteveW
Old Feb 05, 2009, 03:51 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Sorry Steve, I should've been more specific. I only notice it slowing down too much when facing into the wind. Yesterday was quite gusty, when there was no wind on the ground it just seemed to float along fine without dropping the nose. When I saw the trees moving and felt the wind blowing stronger - maybe in the 10knt range it slowed down, dropped the nose and then started flying again. I only noticed this when the glider was facing directly into the wind so thought it was just a wind effect.

With a power off hand throw - the glide is as flat as I could get it but the nose slowly drops as it gets further away, eventually landing. I haven't seen any mini stalls from shoulder height which makes me think it is trimmed ok. I wonder about the incidnce angles as everything is so floppy with the EPO.

If I can convince the missus to get some video it might help explain it all better.

Clovus
Old Feb 05, 2009, 05:57 PM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
positive leading edge up in relation to aircraft centreline ... and leading edge down is negative ... the difference between the incidence angles of the wing to tail is called the decolage angle of attack ... is the angle of which the leading edge is presented to the airflow ... for example giving up elevator increase the angle of attack of the wing .
SteveW
uggg. Sorry steve, have no idea what you mean.

1) when you say leading edge, you mean the wing leading edge, the stabilizer leading edge, or both, or ?

2) where is the aircraft center line? down the middle of the core center of the fuselage, front to back? Or half way back, at the center of the fuselage? Or?

maybe it would be easier, if you had a glider, and could point to this and that, while referring to various things here and there, and it would be easily plainly obvious.

Oh well. Until then, I guess I don't get it. My rookie fault, not yours.
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Old Feb 05, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze
And very little bend in prop shaft.
Correction, prop shaft is perfectly straight and it was just the spinner knocked out of whack.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2009, 12:57 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cash
uggg. Sorry steve, have no idea what you mean.

1) when you say leading edge, you mean the wing leading edge, the stabilizer leading edge, or both, or ?

2) where is the aircraft center line? down the middle of the core center of the fuselage, front to back? Or half way back, at the center of the fuselage? Or?

maybe it would be easier, if you had a glider, and could point to this and that, while referring to various things here and there, and it would be easily plainly obvious.

Oh well. Until then, I guess I don't get it. My rookie fault, not yours.
1/ both of the leading edges are involved wing and stab
2 / the centre line of the aircraft is an imaginary line through the centre of the fuse some times called the thrust line in power aircraft.
SteveW
Old Feb 06, 2009, 02:13 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Hiya Guys,

I just thought I'd give a little bit of a update..... I was out flying around today, came in a little bit hot for a landing - was shooting long so I turned around to spot the landing when I realised there were a group of guys doing personal training about 10m's behind me. Anyway, I was just about down and had to goose the throttle - ended up hitting a tree trunk head on. The plane bounced down. I noticed it cracked at the widest point on the fuse, just where the canopy fits into the fuse.

Why they chose that spot in amongst 6 soccer fields and a baseball diamond I have no idea. I could hear them sniggering after the accident. Funny though, I got the last laugh when I got to watch them dragging a keg attached to their waist by a chain across the grass with their bootcamp sarge huffing and puffing at them.....
Old Feb 06, 2009, 04:13 AM
I'm torquing to you!
Joined Nov 2006
7,368 Posts
Easy fix though?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2009, 04:29 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Yeah, A bit of CA and kicker and 5 minutes and she'll be right. This must be the 3rd of 4th time I have cracked the firewall behind the motor. I think the thrust angle might be off slightly. Today the WOT climb was an easy 45 degree angle, a bit more when the wind picked it up.

I have never crashed a plane so much and fixed it so quickly... EPO is cool!
Old Feb 06, 2009, 05:43 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62
Hiya Guys,
Why they chose that spot in amongst 6 soccer fields and a baseball diamond I have no idea. I could hear them sniggering after the accident. Funny though, I got the last laugh when I got to watch them dragging a keg attached to their waist by a chain across the grass with their bootcamp sarge huffing and puffing at them.....
Sorry to here that, glad it was a quick fix ..........
Come to think of it , I had to glue that top front seem between the canopy and prop when i got the Gilder , it was open and didn't seem to have any glue on it ???

Phuck !!!!!!! I'm sick of these Neanderthol wannabe Yobs !! playing or training on every bit of vacant land on the weekend and every evening after work.
Our popular flying site is currently used every night by at least two footy teams and a soccer club to train , so they spend every evening digging up the public park so as to protect their precious ground for the big (Yawn) game on Saturday.
That bootcamp crew sound typical , WANKERS !!!!! LOL
junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Last edited by junglegym; Feb 07, 2009 at 01:50 AM.