HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:58 PM
Joined Apr 2007
318 Posts
Hi Rich, By the way, if you should fancy, take a look at Merriam-Webster dictionary online.........there is more to the name "Zephyr" than meets the eye......Charlie
ottogiro58 is offline Find More Posts by ottogiro58
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2008, 03:56 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
So I here everyone going on about the CG, Im presuming that this procedure is done with all equipment fitted. Peter has tried to explain how to do it ..but Im not 100% sure, he stated that I need to hang it from 2 or 3 different positions and take photos of each position? my question is which pionts would be the best to hang it from to get my imaginery vertical lines??
This maybe a stupid question but this is all new to me, I will look through previous posts as Im sure this is explained somewhere.
Regards Rich
As Jochen has said the top of the mast and the nose wheel are good places.
Any points will do, but for two point they want to be such that the two line will cross making roughtly a right angle. With three points the lines want to cross at about 120deg. This gives the most accurate "fix" for the CofG. If you've ever done any navigation or taken a "fix" on a map with a compass it's the same principle.

I just happen to find it easier to use a digital camera to capture the lines, but a good old fashioned pencils and a bit of paper stuck to the model will work just as well.

PeterO_UK

PS: It looks really neat ! Have you been working at it 24Hrs a day ?

PeterO_UK
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,843 Posts
Peter,
Fortunatly I jave been on the AM shift this week, when I return home there is no wife or kids !!!...what would you do??
To be honest there realy hasnt been that much work to do, I drew up the plans last Saturday night and started building Sunday.
I will see if I can get the tail finished off and the push rods made up later and find a position for a rudder servo, I see on your pusher Peter you have fitted a rudder but on Jochens he has not got one???
Not taking into consideration ROG's do they fly like a tractor type Gyro where you need to input rudder and roll to turn??

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:35 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Aye Richie!!!! I did not know you were doing a thread on it. I think it looks awesome!!!!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:42 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Peter,
I will see if I can get the tail finished off and the push rods made up later and find a position for a rudder servo, I see on your pusher Peter you have fitted a rudder but on Jochens he has not got one???
I fitted one as I explicitly wanted to be able to ROG and do touch and goes. Jochen has fitted a rudder to one of the Micromums (I think) so it wasn't totally unknown territory.
Quote:
Not taking into consideration ROG's do they fly like a tractor type Gyro where you need to input rudder and roll to turn??
Regards Rich
I'm not very experienced with mine yet (only 3 flights) but the fact that Jochen flies his pushers without rudders says that the rudder is not needed an it will turn fine with aileron and elevator inputs. I must admit I find the rudder most useful in the air when you realise you arn't 100% sure of orientation in a turn. Sick in some rudder an it will turn more quickly and you can confirm it's direction as a result.

PeterO_UK
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:47 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Hey PeterO_UK,
Do you have a tail skid on the back of yours? I know Rich could stear his with the nose wheel but I thought if you had a tail skid or wheel, it would protect the back end.

Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:52 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
The full size pushers have front and rear gear.....I think it is a good idea...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:17 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
The Minimum only has a front wheel and no skid at the back. Having said that the underside of the rear section is smooth and on grass it acts like one big skid I think.

If you watch the video of the second flight, and watch closely around the take-off point (I've just been looking at it frame by frame) you will see that the nose wheel rises first, quickly followed by the main wheels. I don't think the tail actually drops far enough to touch the ground through the grass. It would be more obvious on a hard surface.

So far I've found the rudder to be effective enough to keep it straight during the takeoff run even with a fixed nose wheel. If you want to be able to manoeuver at low speed a steerable nose wheel will be needed.

PeterO_UK
Old Dec 18, 2008, 01:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,843 Posts
Ok ..for the moment it will have a fixed front wheel and a rudder, I really dont see the point in fitting a steerable front wheel as this gyro might not have a very long life...if it ever gets in the air at all
I think I have room to fit a mini servo into the base of the boom, I will mount a servo later and post some pictures of my efforts later. The mast push rods are now done, made from 3mm Mild steel welding rods!!..so far this is the cheapest gyro I have made!!

Regards Rich
Old Dec 18, 2008, 01:51 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Yummie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 03:05 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
743 Posts
Quote:
Ok ..so far this is the cheapest gyro I have made!!

Regards Rich
I looked at the first picture of this posting, with the two lanterns, and is that your xmas tree?
I thinks you need to spend some cash on a bigger one...LOL

Looking good Rich, keep up the good work.

Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Rich,

3 mm mild steel is an overkill when your push rods are out front. I'm using 2 mm cf rods on my Minimum. If you need to reduce weight, that's the first thing to replace.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Dec 18, 2008, 05:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,843 Posts
Jochen,
Yes I know its an overkill but its all I have to hand at the moment,I just cant afford to go out buying stuff this side of Christmas so for the moment they will have to do. If it turns out to heavy then maybe in the New year I can get some CF.
Thanks for the concern

Regards Rich
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:12 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,462 Posts
Rich,

I don't know if you've ever read through Micky's Sticky thread "Gyrocopter Aerodynamics", but post 115 "About layouts. Tractor vs pusher." might be worth a read before you try and set up the motor w.r.t. the CofG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=115
PeterO_UK
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:22 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,843 Posts
Thanks Peter,
I will have a read through this evening, I will try to locate the C of G tomorrow.
Next on the list to be made is an adjustable motor mount, I will make it so that it is simply banded in place making it adjustable until Im happy with its location. The fuz I think will stop uncovered until this position is found and it can be permenatly fixed (if it lasts that long..lol)

Here are a few photos..I have weighed it and it turns out at 3.4lbs!! Lighter than my electric R2 so in theory it should fly at this weight..but like Jochen has suggested there are a few things I can change and alter to reduce this figure.

Regards Rich