HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:59 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,703 Posts
Thanks guys

Mario,
Even without a rudder the Nel flew ok even through the turns with no throttle juggling.I will fit a rudder but Im struggling for space to fit the servo without it protruding out of the fuz
Mike,
No plans for this one mate as I took no dimensions ..but..I do have some drawings of the Spyro..well dimensional hand drawn ones of formers etc..if you or anyone else would like them I would be more than happy to email them to you?..you would have to go your own way with the rotor head as I used FHG parts...but I know Al used a LA rotorshape head on his, a scaled down Minimum head would work too or you could just do your own thing.
Dont be afraid to have a go at designing your own..it is not that hard..I always do a basic sketch of something I like the look of, then just think of the easiest way to construct it without making it complicated. I always make something with the bits that I have to hand so there is no out lay..then its not such a shame if it does not work. Try and make the important things easily adjustable as with me I think it is correct when 'dry' setting up but it is a different ball game when you fly for the first time.

A good flying gyro is all in the setting up out at the field

Regards and thanks agin

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:16 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,703 Posts
Managed to drag myself out after work and go fly Nellie again, this time it was windier and it did what you said Mario, as I turned down wind it was pitching down slightly. I moved my battery further back and this seemed to help somewhat.
I did try the 2 bladed head but it was just too hard to control I think it was because my CG is far forwards...I will play again with the 2 blader on spyro ..which bounces better

I did have a few crap handlaunches and I ended up breaking the Fuselage and one uc leg so I have to do a bit of repair work before I can test some more.

Here is a video of the first flight...did I mention the trees?..LOL

Model Autogyro 'little Nellie' test flight (5 min 27 sec)

You will have to put up with my cameras clicking as I couldnt find any music to add to the vid...its recorded as it happens

Regards Rich
Old Sep 24, 2009, 03:46 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Focus man...focus! Checkin out woodpeckers when you're supposed to be fly'n! Nice vid bro, lookin good too!
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
Old Sep 24, 2009, 03:47 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Wow Rich!!!! It is flying so awesome!!! The rudder looks so nice now...too bad you dont use it. Will you in the future or you gonna leave her as it is? It is going to be beautiful once it is covered. You will make Wing commander Wallis very proud.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Sep 24, 2009, 03:47 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_dragonfly
Focus man...focus! Checkin out woodpeckers when you're supposed to be fly'n! Nice vid bro, lookin good too!

Sounded like the woodpeccker was tapping on the camera the whole time! LOL!
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,703 Posts
LOL!!..just checking the local birds out

Dave,
I will make it look better when I ham 100% happy with the way that it flies, I will fit a rudder because today in the wind I would have liked it

So the last video was the one I was after during my flying session, as you are all aware 9 times out of 10 I only fly on my own, this is why I always like to share what I am up to with you guys.

So here is a few clips of video taken today before the last vid.....Im sure this happens to us all but we all seem to bounce back and keep at it!

So gents a video of 'Rich's bad bits'...enjoy and laugh all you want

Perhaps I should take up bird watching!!!

Regards Rich
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksM-_ECM2ds

'He who never crashes is the one who never flies'
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:42 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
Ah, now we see the out take's! I will admit, I laughed my @$$ off. I like the "OH $hi^" part I too fly by myself and rarely have any vid. I think that I have to come up with my own head cam. Nice landing to bro!
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Rich,

having watched all this, I suppose that flying in a bamboo grove after dark is one of the real challenges left for you.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:34 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
LOL!!..just checking the local birds out

So gents a video of 'Rich's bad bits'...enjoy and laugh all you want

Regards Rich

'He who never crashes is the one who never flies'
sorry Rich i didn't laugh. If a dog had run off with it then i would laugh!

Its good to see the amount of effort needed to get these ideas to fly.
Reminds us that the video can be cut to show a very good flight.

Well done mate.

Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:01 PM
Lets break some props :D
United Kingdom, Liverpool
Joined Jun 2008
4,010 Posts
lol

nice one Rich! I must make one of those "bloopers"? videos too,

mind you, with all the crashes I've had I should keep you entertained for weeks..hehe

Keep at it!
joseico90 is offline Find More Posts by joseico90
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Rich, I know the feeling when testing models... is that a local park? or just an open area? pretty bushy area...
Nevertheless, great flying and your Nellie version is looking good. Is that clicking from your camera from an auto sensor? is that like a tracking camera?
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Sep 25, 2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:22 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Rich,
Thanks for that video man, it shows you're actually Human. All this time I was thinking you just threw your designs together in record time and popped to the flying field for perfect flights. This video looks much more like the stuff I'm capable of doing! I had NO idea how hard you were working to make all the wonderful videos you produce, thanks very much for your efforts.
Best Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:58 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
615 Posts
Wow Rich,

Thats a tough little bird you have there but have you ever thought of doing your test flights in daylight and say...in an open space somewhere. Brilliant flying (and filming) as always and it looks you are on to another winner. looking forward to the next installment.

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old Sep 25, 2009, 03:23 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,703 Posts
Thanks for the comments gents,

The flying was infact taken between 5- 6pm and there was lots of light!..the cheap camera makes it look as if it is quite dark. We have major roadworks in my town at the moment and my weekly flying field is easy to get to but would take me 3/4hr to get home so I flew on Harltebury Common which is next to my estate..its a kind of untouched piece of land which is a nature reserve...lots of Birch and Oak trees, heather plants and gauze bushes etc. This is not the nbest place to fly a model !

I have now repaired Nellie but still not covered her yet, I need to get a few more flights in and get used to how she handles. I really want to try and make the 2 blader work...I cant understand how some of you guys can get such a small gyro to fly with a 2 blader..let alone a teetering head!
Do you think it is the lack of horizontal stabilizer?

Regards Rich

Regards Rich
Old Sep 25, 2009, 03:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Revisiting- Teetering Head Secrets for small autogyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
Thanks for the comments gents,

The flying was infact taken between 5- 6pm and there was lots of light!..the cheap camera makes it look as if it is quite dark. We have major roadworks in my town at the moment and my weekly flying field is easy to get to but would take me 3/4hr to get home so I flew on Harltebury Common which is next to my estate..its a kind of untouched piece of land which is a nature reserve...lots of Birch and Oak trees, heather plants and gauze bushes etc. This is not the nbest place to fly a model !

I have now repaired Nellie but still not covered her yet, I need to get a few more flights in and get used to how she handles. I really want to try and make the 2 blader work...I cant understand how some of you guys can get such a small gyro to fly with a 2 blader..let alone a teetering head!
Do you think it is the lack of horizontal stabilizer?

Regards Rich

Regards Rich
Rich, it is mostly in the blade design.... asuming that of course you got the gyro and gimbal set up properly... you don't need a horizontal stabilizer.

Look closely or read up on MR. Wallis autogyro blade manufacturing methods and you will see this is no piece of cake, in comparison most RC autogyros use a very simple blade design, basicaly Clark Y airfoils. This will only get an RC autogyo so far on a teetering head. Yes others, including myself, have built teetering heads and working autogyros with them but they are light and the rotors need to spin up considerably higher to fly a heavier model with good degree of control.... this is the key factor, not so much that the model works with a teetering head. You should know this already as you built one for the larger Tempest and know how that model behaves with and without a fully floating (No damping) teetering mechanism. The aerodynamics of models work in almost a relative way to that of the real life size aircraft, but you have to remember to ajust the weight accordingly for the given desired flight performance in accordance with the atmospheric environment you are flying in.

I noticed most of the autogyros you built are heavier than mine and some other ones here in this forum and I think your Nellie is also a bit on the heavier side judging by the size of the motor, fully enclosed balsa wood contruction and the power it has in flight so it may be more difficult to control with a fully floating teetering head. The model power would be basically draggin the rotor and I think for an RC autogyro, you want the opposite, the rotor sppeed and lift dragging the model, when you have this balance, control of such makes it easier.. does this make sense?
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello