HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:51 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Jimmy,
Hope you can make it Mon. 1/20.
Don
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:13 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
hrmmm, I'm sure as going to try. Both the wife & myself have that day off and we already had family plans for the day so it will probably only be possible if I'm willing to dissappoint her ...or... bring her & the 16month old, get into everything, no fearing, very fast daughter of mine.

Not sure which would be the lesser of 2 evils.

I sure would like to go though. Still haven't even been able to maiden the Slo-V and I am dying to check out everyones Blue Babies.

We'll see.

Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:15 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
hrmmm, I'm sure as going to try. Both the wife & myself have that day off and we already had family plans for the day so it will probably only be possible if I'm willing to dissappoint her ...or... bring her & the 16month old, get into everything, no fearing, very fast daughter of mine.

Not sure which would be the lesser of 2 evils.

I sure would like to go though. Still haven't even been able to maiden the Slo-V and I am dying to check out everyones Blue Babies.

We'll see.

Jimmy
Jimmy,
Springer and I were there with our Blue babies. Did we miss you?
Don
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:25 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
No, you didn't miss me. I hated not being able to go. If I was there you definately would not have missed me because I would have hunted you guys & your BB's down for sure. I am dying to see those things in the air in person & meet you guys as well.
On lighter note, I brought home my first bundle O foam from Lowes and already started cutting. I dont have all the necessary electrics to get any scratchbuilts in the air but I will definately be able to maiden to Slo-V.

My work schedule is kind of a bummer. I've had that Slo-V since Christmas, built & ready to go since the day after, and haven't even flown it yet.

By the time I have the nec electrics I'l have a 33"BB, Gene Bonds Stang, and FT's Infineon built just waiting for parts.
Almost have everything I need for one complete set up though from haggling on the classifieds here.
I'll probably just do the cheap Hobby City for the other 2.
Anyone got a spare rx 31 crystal laying around?

The wife has a 3 days off in Febuary, not sure which week though, but she already asked me to take that week off just so I could get to Pontiac and stop climbing the walls at home.

Hopefully, I'll be meeting yall soon. I'll keep you posted on the plane progress & what day I'll be able to make it.
I better get my back to work.

Jimmy
Old Jan 20, 2009, 04:26 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
BB24Lite flys out a battery!

Jimmy,
You have a great wife. I look forward to seeing you at Ultimate Soccer sometime.

I was ther today with my BB24 Lite (actually 26" span). I had reinforced the wings, moved the battery in front of the gear to get the CG forward, and increased expo to 80% on the rudder and elevator..... and, it flys great! AUW is now 85 g compared to my original BB24 at about 150 g. What a floater! I was actually wondering where the turbulence was coming from until I realized it was the wake of the other planes. I went round and round and round, doing occasional touch and goes (sometimes even on the 4x24' runway/carrier deck, A lot harder than it looks.) I continued with low passes to the center of the field followed by vertical climbs to the rafters. And round and round. I did not time it but it felt well over 30 min and I was using a 300 mAh battery!

The next flight I decided to time, but I was only about 5 min in when I got tangled up with another plane and we both came down together. After retrieving the plane and a quick checkout I was back in the air. But not for long before one of the bigger boys got me good.....He went over the top of my wing his prop ate a lot of foam. After pictures below. I was able to stay in the air and land near me. Actually, I could have continued to fly but I decided to call it a day. By that point I had survived about a half dozen mid airs. Two of the other planes went down but in several cases we just touched and were both able to continue on.

So, I'll get out the wing baking jig and cook up a new wing.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Jan 20, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:20 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,848 Posts
Jimmy: Black Dog Rc is one of the few places you can get crystals (the full size type) here's the link: http://64.33.154.92/blackdogrc/crystals_HC50U.jsp If you need the smaller um5(?) type I think he has them as well, at the best price I've seen.

Mike, hoping to see ya at soccer place in feb.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:29 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
OOO OUCH!

Man, you didn't have to give the play by play as now I am depressed. omg that sounds like so much fun.

Sorry to hear about the unscheduled dogfight. At least it was just the wing. More's the fun as now you get to build another one eh.

I'm looking at those pics & was wondering, what kind of foam is that?

Last night at about 11:00 pm my wife said good night & noticed I only had Gene Bond's Stang drawn out on the foam & had just started tracing with the blade the initial cuts. Told her I would be to bed shortly. Yeah right. She woke up to a totally cut out & loosely assembled Stang. Just couldn't stop myself once the actual cutting started. And then couldn't resist a bunch of "test glides" throughout the house.

My wall charger and 4 geared motors from the Classifieds showed up at work today too. wooo hooo. Oh and my little Flyzone AeroScout warrantied tx & batt showed up today too. It was Christmas all over again! At least now I will be able to fly the little guy as long as its not too windy. And he'll be coming to work since our training room is huge. Long hallways too.
With the wall charger for my used Futaba Batt, the only thing I have left to get is the rx crystal & a lipo & I am gtg with my first scratch built. Hopefully will have the BB cut & ready this weekend.
Going to take all the gear I got used over to Prop Shop & they are going to get me set up with the right crystal & help me get it all set up.

Got to admit though, going the common sense route & flying the BB first since I'm still a newb over the Stang & Infineon will be a tuffy.

Oh yeah, and yes Don, I am a very lucky man with the wife I have. She hates that its an obsession, but at the same time loves how passionate I am about something and that it relaxes me when I'm building.
When I do have a week off I will be taking an entire day, one where she is at work & I'll have Grandma bb sit the little Princess, and do nothin but cut & glue foam!
Speaking of BB, I need to quit my gabbing & go get her from the bb sitter.

When you get a sec, check out this thread post. & meet my wife & little Princess. They were with me when I bought my foam at Lowes this past weekend.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=985883&page=2

see ya
Jimmy
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:31 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
Springer, Thanks for the link! I just got done writing that previous novel, i mean reply.
I think I need the small cryztal though. I'll check it out.

thx again
Jimmy
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
Need some quick advice with wall charger

Hey guys. I just wanted to ask the guru's out there about using a wall charger for my tx. Just got used wall charger in today and that means I am almost there for having everything I need to get my first scrtch built in the air.
My TX is a Futaba Conquest, FP-T4NBF and the charger is a Futaba direct plug in class 2 batt chrgr.
out put listed on the charger is...
9.6 vdc 70 ma for tx
4.8 vdc 100 ma for rx.
Is there a general rule of thumb I should use to know when to take the charger off of the tx?
And also, exactly what is the "RX" charging function for?
I keep telling myself that the only dumb questions are the ones not asked...

I just am really new & would rather look silly & ask a bunch of questions than destroy a bunch of perfectly good equipment.
I fought pretty hard in the classifieds for a couple weeks and dont want to kill anything.

Just some words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Jimmy
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:11 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
Need an rx now too...

Quick rx poll you guys, looks like I need to get another rx as I am going to use the GWS 6 chnl rx I got on my wife's Wattage Lite Stick.

What's everyone using on their foamies?

Looking to get by as cheap as possble.
Thanks
Jimmy
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:50 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys. I just wanted to ask the guru's out there about using a wall charger for my tx. Just got used wall charger in today and that means I am almost there for having everything I need to get my first scrtch built in the air.
My TX is a Futaba Conquest, FP-T4NBF and the charger is a Futaba direct plug in class 2 batt chrgr.
out put listed on the charger is...
9.6 vdc 70 ma for tx
4.8 vdc 100 ma for rx.
Is there a general rule of thumb I should use to know when to take the charger off of the tx?
And also, exactly what is the "RX" charging function for?
I keep telling myself that the only dumb questions are the ones not asked...

I just am really new & would rather look silly & ask a bunch of questions than destroy a bunch of perfectly good equipment.
I fought pretty hard in the classifieds for a couple weeks and dont want to kill anything.

Just some words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Jimmy
General rule for trickle charging NiCd's is "overnite". I would say an 8 hr charge would put it at the top unless it is flat dead. A few hours of charge beyound full does not hurt at the low amp level of those chargers. But, it is not good to leave the battery on the charger on for days and days. One or two brain failures that result in leaving the battery on charge for days will not do much, but if you just left it on that charger all the time it will definetely reduce life.

The 4.8 v "receiver" charge function is for the slimers who use a 4.8 v battery for flight controls. Using an ESC with BEC on an electric you will have no use for it.
Don
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:54 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Quote:
OOO OUCH!

Man, you didn't have to give the play by play as now I am depressed. omg that sounds like so much fun.

Sorry to hear about the unscheduled dogfight. At least it was just the wing. More's the fun as now you get to build another one eh.

I'm looking at those pics & was wondering, what kind of foam is that?.....Jimmy
The wing is 3 mm Depron from RCFoam.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:06 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,848 Posts
Jimmy: you can't beat the price of these guanli rx's (I think I have six of them now) (Now this is odd, just went to their site to get the url and i notice the cheap 72mhz rx's are labeled springrc - wierd. Anyway I suspect it's the same stuff just different cases here's the link: http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Produ...RYSTAL_39.html ) I must qualify my enthusiasm for them by saying I mostly fly out in the middle of a farm area where there has been no interference of any kind that I've been able to detect. Last Mon at the soccer place, I did experience several incidents of interference (dips and twitches, nothing that crashed the plane - a bb24). They are single conversion, and use the large old style crystals. You can get them with crystals, but they won't guarantee a particular frequency, so may not be the best for a starter setup. But if you really get the scratch building bug, want to stay with 72mhz, and don't fly with a lot of other folk (our bunch has about half 72 and half 2.4g, so lots of channels available), they will serve you well. Out here in the country, range is outstanding, I've had the planes about as far away as I can still see which way they are going and still have good control.

Mike
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
wow mike, those are cheap. I thought for sure I was going to go with GWS pico's for 14.00 to 20.00. I see the spring rc is twice as heavy but thats only at 9g's.
The price of 1 GWS will buy me 3 of those w/ shipping.
I trust your opinion on their quality so looks like thats what I'm getting.

Thx for the tip!
Jimmy
Oh & ps, Turnegy 28-22 1400kv & TB 9 amp esc just showed up today too. omg I can't wait to get a scratch together!!!!!
Man, this seems to be worse than drugs! um, but I am just guessing at that
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:58 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,150 Posts
Mike, you have been voted off the island!!!

Why have you not spread around that awesome website?!?!?!

And i know the other reason why you like those RX's --- the name! SpringRX

Looks like their motors are a good deal too!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon