HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:58 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
WOOHOO North Macomb, here we come!!! LOOKOUT BELOOOOWWWW.

Seriously though Mike, I was really kidding. I'd hate to put you in the position to be responsible for anything. For Park Pilot AMA members, such as myself, and other full Members... would our insurance cvr us for anything if it occurs on private property?
I think if we were all acreful about how we go about this & insure that Mike would not be responsible for anything, would work out nice. We could go way back so hitting the house wouldn't be an issue & then just we all know the diff between airspace and the no fly zone over where we will be standing. If we get all that worked out.....LETS CUT SOME STREAMERS!!!
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2009, 01:51 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdadx2
PLEASE FOLKS !!!

This is just what I was telling ONE of you in my PM's about COMBAT.

FOLKS !!! PLEASE, DONT DO COMBAT AT STONEY CREEK.

Many of us have been flying at stoney for over 20 years now. There are 3 AMA clubs that fly off the water every week for many MANY years at Stoney.

This is ONLY because NO ONE is doing combat !!! When you cut off a tail or antena, the plane WILL CRASH to earth. When , (not if) WHEN you hit a car or a person,it WILL END THAT DAY!!! If you hit a CHILD, and the park is FULL of them. Your life will never be the same. If the FATHER dont KILL you, his LAWYER WILL.

Would you risk your HOUSE,FAMILY, LIFE, just to smash up cheap foam planes. PLEASE

And to even think of takeing a child or spouse to this to be targets.???

COMBAT NEEDS safty fences ,HELMETS, RULES, AND INSURANCE for WHEN you DO hit something. Cutting a streemer is the ONLY way to do combat, but because foamies are cheap. some KIDS think it is fun to crash them into each other.

How long will you last after a lipo fire in the long grass at stoney???
This is WHY very few like the IDEA of COMBAT. I know around 200-300 people that will not let this happen at Stoney or any public park. This WILL END ALL flying there.

BUT on the other hand, I am building a combat plane as we speek. I will do this on PRIVET PROPERTY ONLY. WE / YOU do have MANY folks here that DO have the room/property to have this COMBAT at there homes. This I am ALL FOR.

PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG, I LOVE RC PLANES. And I want everyone to also enjoy/love this hobbie too. It only takes just a few to destroy the future flying of all at that park. It is one of the last parks in our area that we still have to fly at.

WHY do you think TROY has NO fly in all there parks ???? Its not because of a CLUB and ALL the RULES that MUST be followed !!! Its because a few flew the way they thought was fun. Now NO ONE can fly in ANY of our citys Parks, Schools,ect.

Thank you for understanding, And thank you for NOT doing COMBAT in OUR PUBLIC PARKS. And a GOOD DAY TO ALL !!!
Really good advice Vince!

Regardless of what others may think of the AMA, they have a long standing policy on safety that should be emulated by all who desire to fly models - period! If you want to protect your privilege of flying, best do it in the safest manner possible.

I believe that our BB24 combat session was done in good form and would not have jeopardized anyone. However, as most things do they can quickly get out of hand. You have have to be a disciplined pilot not to overfly the safety line while being pursued. Overflying pilots, spectators, and automobiles is one of the most violated safety rules.

Thanks Vince,

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 28, 2009, 05:58 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,928 Posts
Jimmy, turns out I was posting my comment same time as you were yours. I don't have a problem with our bunch flying streamer combat at my place and it's probably the safest place to do it, based on lack of hazards (incl people and things).

I also agree with Ken, our impromptu combat session was appropriately done, If there were more "spectators" (or any spectators!) we probably wouldn't have done it anyway, and we used small, relatively slow, but highly maneuverable planes, with long streamers (I think I did get my antenna nipped a bit, tho) and flew over the short grass close in (or tried to). I suspect if someone shows up at any of our flying venues with a 4lb high powered foamy and wants to fly combat with us, he will be respectfully asked to sit it out (and not given a streamer).
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2009, 07:11 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Mike, yeah I see your post was not in responce to mine now. we were like 2 minutes apart.
You are right though, your place would be great for some combat if we get enough folks with the same or close to the same size / weight / speed planes.

There's another subject to discuss. all of those interested in foamie combat...
1. size / class. such as what Ken is cooking up.
2. gear... pick out a good but CHEAP set up for everyone to base their builds on.
3. maybe regulate TYPE of plane. Probably wouldn't be fair for a more draggy high winger to go toe to toe with a sleek hot pusher jet.
It would be nice for everyone to all have the same gear and throw it on their own version of foamy combat plane that fits within a required weight/type class.
And Streamers. If ya think about it, flying combat with streamers is more scale like in terms of real world prop plane combat like WWII. Full contact is more balls out fun just smashing away at each other. But with Streamers, you need to position your plane to get a good shot on a spot just behind your enemy. much like trying to get into position for a good shot with your 50 cal cannons.
I just figure WWII pilots would rather "SHOOT" down their adversaries instead of ramming into them at 10k feet and 300 mph.

More stuff to kick around guys!
Dam this is getting fun.
Jimmy
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:39 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,734 Posts
Good thoughts Jimmy!

On point #3. This is probably irrelevent. If we are using sq in rule it really will not make a difference. I would put up a high wing model against a similar square inch wing area pusher jet any time. It is all about how the model is set up. Plus its kind of hard to tow a streamer with a pusher jet anyway. Always cutting your own streamer. Could work with prop in the slot though.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Good thoughts Jimmy!

On point #3. This is probably irrelevent. If we are using sq in rule it really will not make a difference. I would put up a high wing model against a similar square inch wing area pusher jet any time. It is all about how the model is set up. Plus its kind of hard to tow a streamer with a pusher jet anyway. Always cutting your own streamer. Could work with prop in the slot though.

Ken
Well of course you would! I've seen the crazy flying you can accomplish with the highwingers! As far as prop jet, yes I had prop in the slot in mind. I have been hanging around the Blue wonder prop in the slot thread and am slowly getting sucked in. I used to have no interest in jets, Now I'm dying to build either the F22 or Glen's Blu Albacorde. I am hoping to get Gene's Blu51cd together with rudder & 1.5" dihedral first. Then after getting used to him I'll go to the elevon prop jet. Gotta get a mixer though. The grandpa tx I got used for shipping doesn't mix.
Just finished the center fuse section transplant on the Snowball with a kf step and once she's done I'll build the Stang. Then the jet. Or at least that's the plan. We'll see if I can stick to it.

Speaking of combat, how's the 150 class doing? Have you gotten any of the designs cut yet? Those drawing were looking pretty nice.
Will look for something from that thread. Gotta get it back up & flowing again. I'll go ask this same question on that thread now.
TTFN
Jimmy
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:18 PM
Warren, Michigan
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Springer,

"North Macomb foamie combat aerodrome is open on Armada Center"

Can you be a bit more specific about the location of this field (cross road, address, etc. - maybe a "Google Earth" view of it)? Who is the owner of this land?

Richard
rckowal is offline Find More Posts by rckowal
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckowal
Springer,

"North Macomb foamie combat aerodrome is open on Armada Center"

Can you be a bit more specific about the location of this field (cross road, address, etc. - maybe a "Google Earth" view of it)? Who is the owner of this land?

Richard
lol.... I can tell you who owns this land.... Springer does. I won't give his address out though, I'll let him do that.

Seriously though, he does have a wonderful place. HUGE area with fields. Beautiful big arse older house. And he wasn't kidding about the corrugated steel barn, I nosed my Wild Hawl into it fast enough & hard enough to take that big foam body and crumble it into teeny weeny pieces.
Click on his blog and I believe he has AP shots of his land.
man I'm jealous.
Jimmy
Old Apr 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Merry Christmas to me!!!

Well, couldn't resist the classifieds this past FRI night.
SUPPO 2208/14 / 18 amp esc combo NIP 10 bux shipped. I only offered him that much so he will keep me in mind if it doesn't sell. I'm too strapped to meven be buying anything really but "addicted is as addicted does"...
Art Newman had 2 combos up for 30 bones, one NIP one used. He sold the used 13 bux shipped. I was shocked when he replied "why not? its yours."
I pm'd him with PP confo & he mailed it Mon & it is already here. he sent it 1st class.
I'm stoked! this is going on my Blu51cd so the BW 1300 can go to the pusher prop jet.
Oh.. and introduced myself to 5 min epoxy too. Nice stuff for certain things. I finally did in the Snowball and didn't want to build a whole new plane. Cut out the center fus back 50%, cut one tip back 20%, both cuts to get rid of dmg. then added new foam with the epoxy & then laminated kf simple step at 40% on center & followed circular pattern onto the sides. Looks real nice and is a ton stronger. Might not even need a dowel in there this time. The epoxy was real nice to use to do the laminating. Just sux that I used a whole tube. Not much comes in the tubes that I get from Micheals crafts.
here's some pics.
Bailey's napping so I got some building to do!
TTFN
Jimmy
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:41 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,734 Posts
Jimmy,

Those connectors on the motor are not as you stated "permanent". What you have photographed is the female side of 3.5mm bullet connectors pushed on over the its male counterpart. They can be pulled apart.

Those motors work very well. I am running the same motor on the SeaBB42, with the exception of being the 12 turn variety (1800Kv). Yours is the 14 turn model (1450Kv).
Here is a link to find the recommended prop with 2s and 3s batteries.
http://www.lightflightrc.com/HTML/pr...208-14+18A.htm

Nice work on the Snowball!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:53 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Jimmy,

Those connectors on the motor are not as you stated "permanent". What you have photographed is the female side of 3.5mm bullet connectors pushed on over the its male counterpart. They can be pulled apart.

Those motors work very well. I am running the same motor on the SeaBB42, with the exception of being the 12 turn variety (1800Kv). Yours is the 14 turn model (1450Kv).
Here is a link to find the recommended prop with 2s and 3s batteries.
http://www.lightflightrc.com/HTML/pr...208-14+18A.htm

Nice work on the Snowball!

Ken
ahh yeah I can see what your saying. Thx Ken.
Thx for the kind words on the S Ball.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:22 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,928 Posts
aint foam wonderful????

Yup It's my back yard. Actually I only own 10 acres of it, the the guys who own the rest let me fly over the rest (as long as I don't make ruts in the wheat field retrieving planes!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:01 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,641 Posts
Wind under 10 tomorrow-- Any one available for Stony?
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 29, 2009, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Just got the KF Snowball back up & running. I'll throw it in the truck but no promises. I will probably not be able to make it unless claims are down first half of the day. We'll see.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:11 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,928 Posts
should we fly first then eat?
RCG Plus Member