HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
I have flown my Extra and Foamie2X Biplane in 35 mph winds.

The planes only go 40-50 mph so it was a bit tough on the upwind legs

I think that this weekend is going to be dedicated to other projects. I think primary is the grass... i hate cutting grass but it really stinks when it gets ahead of me!

I also need to help my kids finish their water rocket and Rubber Band Catapult for the Science Olympiad, build 2 T-1's, finish a 3rd, work on a rototiller with a stuck transmission, get the wife's VW convertible out of the barn and make sure it works, scrape the driveway to get rid of all the potholes, fix or complete the demolition of the kid's treehouse (Christmas Eve Windstorm took it out) and that is just my list! My wife has a list for me all her own i am sure!

Could be a busy weekend. Oh! and I still need time to rock my face off with Guitar Hero with my wife and kids!

Just not enough time in the day.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:59 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,659 Posts
I hear ya man! Mower deck is calling me to get ready as well. Really a bummer when life gets in the way of foam!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:02 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,659 Posts
Jimmy: almost missed your post, yup, she'll be full 4 channel, dihedral per plans - may do two aileron servos so I can play with flaperons. Only thing i'm doing diff is I like the B version best, and Tony did more like a D or later, heavier looking nose, so I'm figuring how to cut it down and still keep all the guts inside.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:46 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,117 Posts
yup I feel for ya too SGT. honey do list just got bigger now that it's supposed to be so nice this weekend. Have to get the yard ready for Princess Bailey. This will be her first summer of running around out back.
So that being said... Mike, looks like life is definately going to get into the way of foam on Sat so no Stoney flying for me.
But I will definately get somehting in the air tomorrow morning. Tonight I will give the Snowball a much needed make over & do some repairs & rebuilding. Man that landscape rock sure was hard and didn't wanna move!
Time to see just how the simple KF step works out on the Snowball.

were gonna see build pics of the P40 I presume?

I just love that fighter. Makes me wanna go dog fight a Zero.
Bummed out I had to get IL2 off the pc.
Nothing was more fun than leading a flight of 8 P40's headlong into an oncoming flight of 16 zeros at only 3000 feet!
Talk about YANK AND BANK! Rudder? ya mean this thing has a rudder?!

ahhh the good ol days.
Jimmy JFlyer is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:35 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,117 Posts
first motor wind is in the books!

it's official, I have wound my first motor!
Thanks in big part to Don for the wire & excellent tudoring. You rock sir!
BW 1300 split a wire & I can ill afford to loose 1 of only 2 brushless motors.
so it was either get her apart & try to solder (didn't work)
or take all the old wire off & rewind.
I was shocked at how EASY the BW comes apart leaving you with excellant access to the stator. Between the 2 types of winds, Delta & "Wye", the BW was "Wye" wound so I just slowly unwound her & noted everything. Then cut my 3 strands & redid what the factory had done. Human hands can definately wind better than the Hong Kong Machines can. Mine turned out tighter leaving more room.
The wind is 14t / 27g wire on a 12 pole stator per 1300 kv factory wind. Took about an hour. Only thing not done is soldering on the leads as it is late & the vision is getting fuzzy and I need smaller shrink wrap.
I figure I could get a BW apart, unwound, newly rewound & back together RTR in under 2 hours if not 1.5 hours. Actually was quite easy. Only problem would be the finger tips getting raw as I made sure to pull em tight on every wrap on all 4 corners of each pole.

Little bit of soldering & the Blu-51cd has its motor! I'm stoked!

Now I can't help but think about thicker wire & less turns! MO POWAH!!!
I gotta get me more motors!
Don't noone DARE throw any BW's away cus it broke a wire!!!
Thx again Don!

Dam I'm tired, nighty night folks

jimmy

oh, I almost forgot, here are some pics. If I wasn't so dam tired, I'd post a build log how to on rewinding BW's lol
Thats rich, a newb doing a how to build log.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:21 AM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
742 Posts
nice job on the BW re-wind.

I bought a Go-brushless kit a while back, spent a couple hours on it and gave myself a blister or two in the process. I managed to get a short in one of the phases. Not enough slack to clear the center bushing and I forced it..... so no-go. I try again someday when I get bored.
DesignGeek is offline Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2009, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,117 Posts
Thx DG.
Actually, I still need to get the connectors on & put some power to it yet, so not a total success. Momma is at the store & Bailey just went down for her nap. Time to plug in the iron.

Stay tuned...
Jimmy
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:09 PM
Joined Nov 2004
263 Posts
Hey Jimmy, nice work! When I rewound mine I checked resistance of each phase before terminating. If you get a chance you may want to do the same. That should clearly show a short, and might save your ESC from going up in smoke during testing!

I bought a strongrc kit the other day, as I must say I did enjoy the rewinding of my 2805. I'm looking forward to adding another motor to the fold, although the myriad of winding and termination options makes rewinding a hobby in and of itself.
renns is offline Find More Posts by renns
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renns
Hey Jimmy, nice work! When I rewound mine I checked resistance of each phase before terminating. If you get a chance you may want to do the same. That should clearly show a short, and might save your ESC from going up in smoke during testing!
ahh poop! Thats a good piece of advice renns! but sadly I believe I am too far along. Already snipped & soldered up the stub. Actually I didn't get a chance to do anything today other than just got back from the elecronics store with fresh batches of heat shrink.

Speaking of which, for those ever in the St. Clair shores area... Able Electronics on 11 mi & Harper..... wow, awesome place for goodies! They have about every soldering tip know to man! Guns of all types. Meters... I had a hard time just spending the 4 bux on the 3 strands of shrink wrap.
Highly recommend going in there for anyone looking for gear!
TTFN
Jimmy
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:06 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,117 Posts
little help needed with poll...

hey guys, check out this link if you have an interest in electric plane combat!

FlyingCheetah has gotten enough posts to get themn to do a poll sticky & we need all the yes votes we can get.
The poll is yay or nay on a proposed forum for "Electric plane combat" in the Aircraft-Electric-planes area.
I think it is a good idea.
But there are actually 2 nay sayers. 30 some odd yay sayers.

Here's the poll...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039723
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Jimmy
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:26 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,397 Posts
shuttle

maiden soon fraser link post #778
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Last edited by space 1; Apr 26, 2009 at 05:35 AM. Reason: link not working
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,117 Posts
BW 1300 kv IS a SUCCESS!

well, attached the leads & threw her on the TBird 9amp on the Snowball. She spun quite freely & I was initially very pleased.
Time for some load.
Threw on an 8x4 & held onto the bearing tube with my fingers. Hit the throttle stick some, she started spinning w/o any vibration in the tube & no noise other than the usual BL whine. Then pushed her WOT. Theres another LESSON LEARNED! When testing ones clean winding, dont hold the motor in your fingers...... When using your Snowball setup for a testbed and it has a 3s lipo on it.... DON'T HOLD THE MOTOR IN YOUR FINGERS!!!!!
Fortunately no damage. But I could hardly hold on to her & the tube itself spun like a B**CH in my fingers.
SHE RUNS!!! Can't wait to try her out on a plane.
Whole new world has opened up!

TTFN, goin to bed
Jimmy
Old Apr 26, 2009, 05:34 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,397 Posts
link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039861
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:43 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,494 Posts
Congrat's on the Rewind Jimmy!

I am like you, once you've done one, then you want to scoop up all the ones that people do not want to rewind.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:45 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by space 1
Nice Shuttle Space1! very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Congrat's on the Rewind Jimmy!

I am like you, once you've done one, then you want to scoop up all the ones that people do not want to rewind.

Ken
thx Ken! yeah I am actually suprised how easy it was. Now I gotta figure out how to use the watt meter hookup Mike gave me to test amp draw.
This just opened up a whole new world!.