HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:38 AM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Shane,
That really was an interesting incident. Not sure except for the sudden loss of additional weight up front resulting in aft CG. Just adding a spinner or large adapter makes quite a difference.

Ken
I noticed tonight, that my battery has come loose, it pulled through the foam from my crashes in such a way that I could have the velcro closed, but it could still slide out. When the plane dipped, I'm thinking the battery came out and then the prop took off. It all happened fast. I'll glue a little bamboo skewer on both sides of the battery comparment to repair the damage. That stingray is one durable plane and I've had loads of fun with it.
hz6b9k is offline Find More Posts by hz6b9k
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:44 AM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Hmm, king of combat with only 3 cuts? maybe so.

Shane: I wonder if your cg is slightly aft and the loss of prop weight on nose made it go nose up? could be a combination of motor thrust holding nose down til it disappeared as well.
Thanks Mike. You know, I've been fighting an aft CG for a while now. I am sure that contributed to it. After the prop when, it flips twice. On that plane, I stacked up some foam for a little extra nose and my glue job might have broke free causing the crash. I am thinking of rebuilding the fuse with more nose on it. Much easier to cut off extra nose, than build it up again.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:37 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfetterly View Post
Shane and Ken, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm nzjbh4 per Plano. I flew at Stony Creek my first time 20 some years ago with some sailplane types. I get by there once a month or so, have to stop and check it out. Drove by there about 4 yesterday with some planes in the truck and thought about it. See there were some people there, wish I would have followed through. I spend my organized time with GDSHS so I have a park sticker. I'll have to look through this SEMFF thread.

Jim
Welcome Jim!

I am going out there after work today to do some CG testing on a new model prototype. Should be there about 3:30 ish.

What is GDSHS?

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Ken,
GDSHS= Greater Detroit Soaring and Hikeing Society The local Glider club.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:00 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Ken,
GDSHS= Greater Detroit Soaring and Hikeing Society The local Glider club.
Thanks Don.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:08 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Congratulations King MIKE. With three cuts he was one up on Joe and I. Sneaky guy got all three cuts in only two rounds, and kept quiet about it untill Joe and I tried to claim a split Kingdom. We only flew three rounds and Mike missed round one. Not a lot of cuts or rounds last night but great flying weather for this time of year and as always great comradery!

Shane,
Your mid-airs were not the only ones. Mike and I had a slolid hit that took out both planes. We both ended up with two planes each needing shop repairs! I had another mid-air with someone.
If your not having mid-airs your not combating!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:22 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz6b9k View Post
... When the plane dipped, I'm thinking the battery came out and then the prop took off. ....
That is exacly what I thought of when I saw the video. Very tail heavy and also very light. Like the battery and perhaps even the motor were missing?

One remaining mystery. Why did the battery come out with just a moderate "dip"? Is it possible you did not have the strap ends attached? Or they came apart? Even with a loose strap over the battery I don't think it would come out with such a mild manuver. It's actually pretty hard to get the battery to move forward.....with the plane in the air. Now when it stops suddenly as in a mid air or ground nap the battery will move forward with a lot of force. That is why I try to leave room for the battery to go forward with out busting anything.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joe The Ripper
United States, MI, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
663 Posts
Quote:
You got it, Ken! My mama named me "Shane" but the big EDS/GM computer on Plano, TX named me "hz6b9k"... There are a few of us GM guys around SEMFF aren't there?
Yup - Here
Joe
fannonjk is online now Find More Posts by fannonjk
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joe The Ripper
United States, MI, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
663 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations King MIKE. With three cuts he was one up on Joe and I. Sneaky guy got all three cuts in only two rounds, and kept quiet about it untill Joe and I tried to claim a split Kingdom. We only flew three rounds and Mike missed round one. Not a lot of cuts or rounds last night but great flying weather for this time of year and as always great comradery!

Shane,
Your mid-airs were not the only ones. Mike and I had a slolid hit that took out both planes. We both ended up with two planes each needing shop repairs! I had another mid-air with someone.
If your not having mid-airs your not combating!
Don, I was the other person that you mid-air'd with. We both sustain pretty significant damage, but I worked on it last night and my plane is almost ready to be back in the air. Did you get the dismembered wing repaired yet?
Joe
fannonjk is online now Find More Posts by fannonjk
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:01 AM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
That is exacly what I thought of when I saw the video. Very tail heavy and also very light. Like the battery and perhaps even the motor were missing?

One remaining mystery. Why did the battery come out with just a moderate "dip"? Is it possible you did not have the strap ends attached? Or they came apart? Even with a loose strap over the battery I don't think it would come out with such a mild manuver. It's actually pretty hard to get the battery to move forward.....with the plane in the air. Now when it stops suddenly as in a mid air or ground nap the battery will move forward with a lot of force. That is why I try to leave room for the battery to go forward with out busting anything.
I had my wife running a digital video camera and I was pretty excited about the test flight, so I may have forgot to fasten the strap down good. It is certainly possbile... We may never know for sure. The battery was thrown clear in the crash, but the strap was still attached to the plane. I don't remember it the ends were together. Looking it over last night, previous crashing had torn the foam the strap went around and I just didn't notice. With it strapped in, I could easily pull the battery and strap up and away from the plane. I am thinking that is what let the battery slide foward and out.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:12 AM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fannonjk View Post
Yup - Here
Joe
Excellent Joe! I knew you looked familiar. Now, I'm sure I've seen you before. Closures, right? I work just upstairs from you (Future Program Ergonomics) in the VEC at the Warren Tech Center.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:29 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,456 Posts
& another GM'er. Been gone so long I don't remember my user id.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:14 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,338 Posts
Quote:
Excellent Joe! I knew you looked familiar. Now, I'm sure I've seen you before. Closures, right? I work just upstairs from you (Future Program Ergonomics) in the VEC at the Warren Tech Center.
Shane,
I am in Mockup just west of the VEC and attached to the podium.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:37 PM
AKA Shane
Utica, MI
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
& another GM'er. Been gone so long I don't remember my user id.
I think all GM'ers would agree... That's the best kind of GM'er to be!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Unemployed, Homeless, Happy
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
I'll stop out, grey skies but the wind is right. 4 mph @ Pontiac Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Welcome Jim!

I am going out there after work today to do some CG testing on a new model prototype. Should be there about 3:30 ish.

What is GDSHS?

Ken
jcfetterly is offline Find More Posts by jcfetterly