HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Flying Pilgrims RC flying field

Here you go. From the western burbs of SE Michigan here is a Google Earth shot of the field. The history behind the site is interesting. The land belongs to FORD MOTOR LAND DEVELOPMENT. FORD used it before to test its tractors and then it became a Mass Transit test track. Both of which are long gone from Ford's portfolio.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:04 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,644 Posts
Troy parks -NO, school yards-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
I heard that Troy passed a new law this summer that had no RC allowed at their public parks. Apparently some people were stupid...
I know the ordinance goes back at least to the early 80's. I have lived in Troy since '71. I think RC vehicles (including planes) have been illegal in city parks for the whole time.

You would not believe what all is illegal in a Troy park. Throwing a softball anyplace other than a designated ball diamond is illegal. Similarly tossing a Frisbee, unless on one of the Frisbee golf courses. A kid cannot even legally launch a hand launch glider or even a paper airplane legally in a park. Technically a picnic water balloon toss is illegal!
Well you get the idea.

If a Police officer or park employees tells you "you can't do that in a Troy Park" better be polite and just leave quietly.

No Park-flyer's in Troy, but I have never heard of any RC'r getting anymore than a warning at a Troy Park.

BTW, as far as I know school yards are OK.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:43 AM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
482 Posts
With respect,thats the kind of stuff for old retired ,can't they get it in there thick heads-we gotta fly.i fly anywhere any time almost,one good thing when i go upnorth to my place i can fly all over,even over my house,dog,wife,lake.some like fishing,hunting,boating(i do too)but gotta fly. i love my helis,airplanes,motorcycles,cars,gotta have the toys.
MYHELIGUY is offline Find More Posts by MYHELIGUY
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:13 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
newb to flying is a newb to forums also... 8/

Great thread with all this activity.
Thanks for the welcome Bz1mcr & Springer!
I didn't realize when I first posted a reply that the thread went on for many pages after that. I am used to using forums, just brain farted a suppose.

Springer to your earlier question, I haven't even gotten my battery yet as I am still building my inventory of parts atm. As a matter of fact I am writing this as fast as possible because I am leavng after this ti go to The Prop Shop in Warren to pick up their last Slo-V for my first actual good functioning plane to learn with.
I'll be hanging there for a few as I am also taking my newly arrived box of goodies I just got from akguanja. These are the parts I mentioned before with specs that I was thinking I'll be using for the BB if I builkd it before the warbirds. Check them out, let me know what you think.
http://forum.rc-airplane-world.com/v...897efbadfdc4ae

I'll be gettin their advice on the battery I will get & I also need a charger for the plane & tx batteries. Then that should do it. I also have a nib (although old, just never used) Watt-age Lite Stick coming from byen00.

I will look at their foam but not sure I'll use it.
What foam do you guys use & where do you get it?

Oh and also I saw your discussion on a park in Sterling Hts. I grew up there. I am pretty sure I saw mention of something by Schoenherr. I know there is the Wirlybirds field at Freedom Hill but I also have been looking at the soccer fields just east of Schoenherr on Clinton River Rd. It definately looks big enough to fly in.

Is anyone going to Skymasters indoor loc in Pontiac the Sat after Christmas?
I see they are opening it that weekend for weekend flying. I hate that it is usually Tue's only.
I already plan on goin there as I will maiden the Slo-V there.
And if the Lite Stick shows up in time I'll be bringing that too. Plus my cute litte AeroScout, (gotta love fun little 2 channels) and the beastly Wild Hawk. (I know, cheapy version of the Easy Star, but hey, $30.00 complete RTF at the swap meet!)

Sure look forward to meeting yall & flying with you!
Happy Holidays!!!

Jimmy JFlyer, over & out
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Dec 20, 2008, 04:03 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
Jimmy JFlyer, over & out cc cloud busters sterling'heigts - fraser flying club of mount clemens mich
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:17 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
I'll check em out.

Thx Space 1
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:47 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
771 Posts
another legal field

Guys- there is a nice big field at the Lyon Oaks county park on the south side of Pontiac Trail, west of Wixom rd. at least 200x200 meters as measured in google earth, the cricket pitch could make a nice runway. (green outdoor carpet on a slab)

Here is the response I got from an inquiry about flying at Lyon Oaks and other Oakland County parks:
Rob,

Remote control planes are allowed at Lyon Oaks park and other Oakland County parks if you are an active AMA member. You must be able to prove your membership if a park official requests it. Only electric planes or gliders, no internal combustion engines are allowed. A park entry permit is required. You are welcome to use the field if no one else is using it. Hope to see you at Lyon Oaks.

Tim Nowicki
Parks Naturalist
Lyon Oaks County Park

Cheers,

DG
DesignGeek is offline Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DesignGeek; Dec 22, 2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: add title
Old Dec 22, 2008, 01:22 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
That is great news DG! I have been to several of the Oakland County parks. All of them are nice.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:40 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,931 Posts
Oh-oh another reason to pop for AMA membership!

'til then, here's my field:
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:51 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Looking forward to seeing you all at the soccer arena tomorrow. I am going to be there at 10:30 this time. Bringing a friend, and I think my coworker Randy is going to show up also.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2008, 09:38 PM
Joined May 2008
150 Posts
wow I didnt even realize that this thread was here. You are practicaly flying in my backyard and I didnt even know it. what does it take to become AMA certified? I would love to fly indoor.

thanks,

Pat
love2fish93 is offline Find More Posts by love2fish93
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:54 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Pat,

I think we met out at Stoney Creek Metropark. Anyway, you can go to the AMA website and sign up for a Parkflyer membership for $30, or go for the full membership for $59. They will accept parkflyer members at the indoor site.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:04 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,931 Posts
Just did it. Parkflyer $29. AMA gives you a printable temporary receipt til the official card comes in, I'll try it tomorrow and see how it works.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:59 AM
Joined May 2008
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Pat,

I think we met out at Stoney Creek Metropark. Anyway, you can go to the AMA website and sign up for a Parkflyer membership for $30, or go for the full membership for $59. They will accept parkflyer members at the indoor site.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

Ken
Yes, we did meet out there but I guess I just didnt realise how many people flew around here.
love2fish93 is offline Find More Posts by love2fish93
Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:03 AM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
771 Posts
There are quite a few rc guys in the area!

I met a couple other flyers this summer at Sarah Banks Middle School in Wixom (another nice field--- I can usually be found there)

But they hadn't heard of RC groups and had never built anything with Fan Fold Foam....

Shocking. simply shocking.

DG
DesignGeek is offline Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member