HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Wow choices choices.

You probably get something like thus a lot but here goes anyway.

I have a Hyperion zs2213-18, Hyperion 20a ESC and a boat load of 2-3s 850mah batteries. Im not looking to be "legal" at the moment since I have these lying around.

Any advice on a suitable kit you offer? Good way to her my feet wet I think. Forgot to add, I have a a half dozen or so HS45's looking for a home too.
lostinthesun is offline Find More Posts by lostinthesun
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Hyperion zs2213-18, Hyperion 20a ESC and a boat load of 2-3s 850mah batteries
What about a seaBB42??
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:31 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,572 Posts
Lost: that's an interesting combination, a 60gm 1000kv motor with 850mah packs. That big a motor is about twice the weight motor for most of our designs like Ken's warbirds & my onesheeters which are set up for 24gm 1700kv blue wonders. Your motor will fly a 42" blubaby, or same size SeaBB if you like the seaplane idea. Some of the space planes that Dennis has will take a motor that large. The big issue is how much it moves the CG fwd and what one has to do to compensate for it, usually with a larger battery. You could run matched packs in parallel and double the battery weight to achieve balance (and double flight times - I've done that with a wye connector cable) Also, pretty much all the designs can be rescaled to fit a larger setup, so it really depends on what you like, space, conventional, warbird, etc.... Really helpful, aren't I??
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Lost: that's an interesting combination, a 60gm 1000kv motor with 850mah packs. That big a motor is about twice the weight motor for most of our designs like Ken's warbirds & my onesheeters which are set up for 24gm 1700kv blue wonders. Your motor will fly a 42" blubaby, or same size SeaBB if you like the seaplane idea. Some of the space planes that Dennis has will take a motor that large. The big issue is how much it moves the CG fwd and what one has to do to compensate for it, usually with a larger battery. You could run matched packs in parallel and double the battery weight to achieve balance (and double flight times - I've done that with a wye connector cable) Also, pretty much all the designs can be rescaled to fit a larger setup, so it really depends on what you like, space, conventional, warbird, etc.... Really helpful, aren't I??
Lol. Gees thanks

All kidding aside, this motor was installed on a parkzone t28 at one time and believe it or not it was much better than the stock motor. Great little motor.

A buddy if mine in Illinois had a 42" profile P51 blucore bird we ran this in and it was great. Not terribly powerful but plenty for sport stuff.

Other than some high kv motors this is the smallest I have on hand. Im thinking 36" ws maybe? Maybe bigger? 36" warbird would really scoot with a 8*8APC im thinking. Would be fun until I get some smaller stuff in.

Ill go check your stuff again and make a selection.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthesun View Post
Wow choices choices.

You probably get something like thus a lot but here goes anyway.

I have a Hyperion zs2213-18, Hyperion 20a ESC and a boat load of 2-3s 850mah batteries. Im not looking to be "legal" at the moment since I have these lying around.

Any advice on a suitable kit you offer? Good way to her my feet wet I think. Forgot to add, I have a a half dozen or so HS45's looking for a home too.
That motor does have alot of power. I think I saw that it is 280 watts. Mikes suggestion for a Blu-Baby 42 would be a good choice. This motor swings a 10" prop, and that would not work on the Sea BB.

More importantly Lost, is what are you interested in? Sounded like a combat plane to me.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
That motor does have alot of power. I think I saw that it is 280 watts. Mikes suggestion for a Blu-Baby 42 would be a good choice. This motor swings a 10" prop, and that would not work on the Sea BB.

More importantly Lost, is what are you interested in? Sounded like a combat plane to me.

Ken
I like all airplanes but, did kinda want a warbird ti dabble with.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,406 Posts
Lost,

The only problem I see is that your components are not very well matched. They are all nice components, but the motor can run at a sustained 25A, but your esc is a 20A. Your batteries and servos are suitable for smaller models and would fit the bill for one of the warbirds.

Might I suggest getting another motor and esc. About $20 from Don at www.strongrcmotors.com

It would make the process alot less difficult.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,112 Posts
Here we go!

Quote:
SEMFF PICNIC

How does July 15 sound for the picnic date?

I have to stay away from the 22nd as our VBS program starts the 23rd. Also open to suggestions other than Saturdays.

Ken
Alright, I'm gonna try this again... I am hoping that I will be there with the fam in tow.
Might not have much in the way of flyable planes though. Gear is starting to get a bit ratty, batts are finally showing their lack of maintainance, and build time is slim to none.

But Lord willing, I should have at least 2 or 3 planes RTF.
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Lost,

The only problem I see is that your components are not very well matched. They are all nice components, but the motor can run at a sustained 25A, but your esc is a 20A. Your batteries and servos are suitable for smaller models and would fit the bill for one of the warbirds.

Might I suggest getting another motor and esc. About $20 from Don at www.strongrcmotors.com

It would make the process alot less difficult.

Ken
I hear ya. I don't know what I was thinking. I have a 34, 45 and a 60a ESC benched too. Better off just getting smaller stuff.

Quick question. Did I read combat is 3 channel right?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:41 AM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
568 Posts
Yes the combat stuff we are flying is 3 channel, AET (aileron, elevator, throttle).

Bz1mcr (Don) - usually has all the stuff in stock to put the combat birds together and has it VERY reasonably priced. Your 2s 850's should be fine with these birds. I'm sure Ken (Dz1sfb) has a few plans that will make use of your 3s's so all isn't loss there.

Springer (Mike) - has done a really nice P40 that I'm sure he'd be happy to point you in the right direction so you can still make use of some of your bigger stuff. There are lots of plans available for the larger stuff all over the forums so all is not lost.

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
Alright, I'm gonna try this again... I am hoping that I will be there with the fam in tow.
Might not have much in the way of flyable planes though. Gear is starting to get a bit ratty, batts are finally showing their lack of maintainance, and build time is slim to none.

But Lord willing, I should have at least 2 or 3 planes RTF.
Don't worry Jimmy I'll have some extra combat birds with me so you WILL have one to get shot up in. (enter sinister laugh here)

Ken - That date works for the Bender Clan.

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
IT'S COMBAT TUESDAY! 6-9 MPH winds and low 50's expected. I'm charging batteries. What time will we be getting started?
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:40 AM
It's Good to be Retired!
Oxford, MI
Joined Feb 2007
692 Posts
I'll be there around 3:30-4:00 and I have my combat planes and my glider - I'm ready for anything.

I also have 4 of the APC power supplies I mentioned awhile ago for anybody who would like one for a hot wire foam cutter.

Jordon
Jordonr is offline Find More Posts by Jordonr
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joe The Ripper
United States, MI, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
IT'S COMBAT TUESDAY! 6-9 MPH winds and low 50's expected. I'm charging batteries. What time will we be getting started?
I will be on the field and powerd up by 5:00, maybe sooner.
fannonjk is offline Find More Posts by fannonjk
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:44 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordonr View Post
I'll be there around 3:30-4:00 and I have my combat planes and my glider - I'm ready for anything.

I also have 4 of the APC power supplies I mentioned awhile ago for anybody who would like one for a hot wire foam cutter.

Jordon
Plus one!

Ken
RCG Plus Member