SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:02 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
Hi guys, have you noticed the "Clubs" tab in the center of the blue bar that runs across your screen on RCG? This is where groups like yours are supposed to post your threads. I mean no disrespect, but if everyone posted their local group threads in the scratchbuilt foamies forum then it would get pretty unorganized don't you think?

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at the "Clubs" area and the "Regions" area and I don't think either is a good match for the intent of this thread. This is a new attempt to get a group discussion going, we are not a club and do not plan to become a club. It is an open discussion group for local guys interested in scratchbuilt foamie activities to discuss local flying sites and perhaps create a few flying events.

It has already generated a suprizing level of interest in this forum location and for now I am inclined to leave it here. Of coarse if the Moderators think it belongs elseware then it won't matter what I think.

This thread was started because I felt some of our discussions were really off topic for the threads that were being used. So we moved from threads about specific aircraft designs, to this thread about activities for scratchbuilt foamies in a specific geographic area. In my mind at least, it improves the organization of the forum and does not contribute to it's disorganization. I hope other areas consider moving discussions about local activities out of the air craft threads and start more threads like this for their area.

Maybe it will work here, maybe it won't. Time will tell.
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
I like this thread! it's exciting!

That is awesome that you won something Ken! Now i really am jealous.

Not sure why you old guys don't get a job or something. Stop doing all the fun stuff while i am working!!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
482 Posts
Its about scratch building foamies.
MYHELIGUY is offline Find More Posts by MYHELIGUY
Last edited by MYHELIGUY; Dec 16, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:10 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Prof,
What is Flying Pilgrims? club field, park, other...
It is a club and field located just a few miles north of Willow Run airport.

Here's the club website:
http://www.flyingpilgrims.com/phpwebsite/

Here is video of it from the air:
T28 Trojan RC plane with Turnigy 35-36c and 11x7 prop (3 min 25 sec)
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:53 AM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Smooth,
I hope you meet up with us sometime. Stay tuned in here to know if we really plan to make it tomorrow. So, far thats been just talk. Below 30 degrees would be a first for me.
One other flying site is shown on dz1sfb's blog. That was the site of the first SE MI BluBaby and other Foamies flyin last summer.
Wow, look at us...this thread is rockin'! Thanks to all for the info and the invitations to fly. Michiganders are the BEST.

Didn't make any time to fly yesterday, unfortunately I picked up a bit of a cold.

bzimcr: I checked out dz1sfb's blog and the flying site for the BluBaby. That's incredible, because I saw that thread and felt there was something familiar about it. Although my avatar shows my location at 'Detroit', I actually live in Shelby Twp...only two miles from that church field that I do frequent every so often. Hope to see you guys out there soon. After last night it's time to install the snow ski's .

Thanks again to all for the info.

Smooth
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky
Old Dec 17, 2008, 06:03 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Prof100,
You folks have a really nice looking field there. I love the vertical climb from take off in the video.

Don,
I wonder if we could constitute a club of sorts? Just brainstorm'in, or is that gas?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:17 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
482 Posts
what you have going is real good, why change it? i may come fly someday,make a complete day with my motorhome.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:20 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,576 Posts
That would be really nice. Especially if it is cold outside!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Prof100,
You folks have a really nice looking field there. I love the vertical climb from take off in the video.

Don,
I wonder if we could constitute a club of sorts? Just brainstorm'in, or is that gas?

Ken
Ken,

The cub members appreciate your compliment. The runway is 400 feet, but it's on it's last legs. I suspect it will need another coat of asphalt next year. Foamy electrics are few at this club but with an overpowered T-28 like you see in the video and some ridiculously over powered foamy prop in the slot jets with TV they are getting interested. Flying Pilgrims is known for its giant scale planes and turbine jets.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,576 Posts
I edited in a list of foamie friendly flying sites to post #1. Keep them coming. SE MI is a big area. There must be a lot more.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
My Mom and one of my old friends goes to that Zion Church. I have been to a couple of the Picnics there and thought it would be perfect for flying!

I just fly in my back yard. I live just north of 28 Mile Road near New Haven.

Besides my house there is also Kriewall Field. It is very nearly famous. It used to be the house of the Owner of Romeo Airport. Now it belongs to the former owner of ALmont Airport where i worked when i was in high school... oh about 20 years ago now!.

Anyhow it has a 3000' Grass Runway, 60x60 hangar FILLED with RC planes and about 8 Ultralights including my brother's.

If you see the hangar open go on up. Mark will be there, just tell them i sent you.

Dennis
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:46 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
482 Posts
SGTalon ,thats what i needed to know where to go. it'll be a couple of weeks,after new years proably, i'll show up , bring all the models,over 50, keep posting with all the good stuff.MERRY XMAS GUYS.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:28 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,576 Posts
Dennis,
Those look like a couple of beautiful places to fly. I bet if let word out here you can get a few of us to join you any time the weather cooperates.

Heck, I bet springer was flying today, and not too far away!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
Funny you should say that! flew only for a little bit and not because of the cold. I made a disturbing discovery about "this years" skis. They don't work well in fluffy snow! took out the BeaverBB and placed her gently on the snow and fired her up. she moved about an inch down into the snow for every inch forward til fuse was on the snow. Bummer, should have made them longer! Had to hand launch.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:36 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Funny you should say that! flew only for a little bit and not because of the cold. I made a disturbing discovery about "this years" skis. They don't work well in fluffy snow! took out the BeaverBB and placed her gently on the snow and fired her up. she moved about an inch down into the snow for every inch forward til fuse was on the snow. Bummer, should have made them longer! Had to hand launch.
I bet they will work pretty well with the BB24 even in soft snow.
Different skis for different planes!

How far are you from Dennis?