HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC
I was there and met very freindly folks and saw these planes fly. It was my first time at the indoor flying meet.
I even saw the flying hydro hit the wall. The hydro seemed to be too heavy.

How about the EDF Slowstick, way too cool.
Hey IWC,

I saw that EDF Slowstick also and thought the same thing. Its neat that people can get together in this way. Hope we get to meet sometime.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:56 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
hello, my name's Jimmy JFlyer and I'm a foam-aholic

Guys, this is bad, very very bad. Crack don't have nothin' on Foam Scratch Building. lol not that I would know!!!
Seriously though, I can echo what the others said, today was absolutely great. Best day of my vacation. It would have taken a shotgun to get the smile off my face.
It was really great to meet people I have only been able to put usernames to.
Great bunch of guys that I seriously look forward to gathering together with again soon. This summer should be great. I already told Springer that you all will probably never be able to get rid of me!
I am very fortunate to have meet you all, and the help and friendship you have offered is greatly appreciated.
I could not have maiden'd w/o everyones help.
Heart felt thanks to Springer for helping me set the T1 straight. (can't wait to get the BB up over your property! )
Rcdadx2 for the rx. (you're gonna get sucked in man!)
dz1sfb for helping me keep her in the air, actually trimming it for me while I was on the sticks! Your 3s li po was also greatly appreciated.
Skypiliet for the making her famous! Thx for the pics Jim, I was so p-o'd I forgot my camera!
And also bz1mcr for all the motors & escs you will be selling me in the future.
Actually, it has been killing me all day waiting this long to get on & sound off.

So now I just need to get the nec essentials to be able to get her back up.
Obviously I need a li po & charger.
Ken & Mike, I'm having a brain fart... what was happening that I needed the 3s over the 2s? Was it just not powerfull enough to get that old honkin can in the air? I figure I can go 1 of 2 ways, either get a 3s & stay with this motor for the time being, or get a motor from Don, or just take the BW from my BB and go with the 2s. Whatcha guys think? What ever I do, that purchase will be the last for a while. At least I'll have a foamy I can fly.
Just have to think "what do I need to get to fly the T1 on my own when ever the weather is right?"
I have about 20 more questions but they can wait. I've gone on enough. Getting late & I still need to go hip hip hooray over on the T1 thread regarding my successful maiden.

Jim, by any chance can you email me what ever pics you took of my plane today? thx
jbickford19515@comcast.net.

You are all great people, hope to be flying with you again soon. And Ken & Mike, I want in on some combat!!!

TTFN
Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:42 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
couldn't resist working on the BB b4 going to bed

Mike, I'll be needing that xtal sooner than later.
Just couldn't keep my hanbs off the BB after wifey went to bed.
Servos are mounted, fuse & stabs done & used T1's rx & esc to cntr the servos before locking the ez connectors down. I am noticing that the throws are quite big. Rudder movement looks like a 3d plane & the elevator comes up so big it slams the rudder, even after I trim the bottom of the rudder over 1/8th inch. With the older Futaba's, is there a way to increase & decrease throws? I'll hook the rod onto the outer most holes on the surface horns also.

Couple pics of the late night build...

Jimmy
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:23 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,676 Posts
Jimmy,

You can reduce the throws on the control surface by moving the pushrod connection at the control horn in the outermost hole, and, or moving to the innermost hole on the servo arm.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:24 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
Thx Ken.
Yeah, its in the middle hole in each atm. I'll get them moved when I get back to the build. Probably won't get any time to build today, this is wife's last day off. We'll see.
omg now I can't wait to fly THIS one too!

what did you think about the 2s or 3s lipo for the T1? Leaving the can in there would be the cheapest way vs getting another motor & going with just a 2s. not sure what I'm going to do. Vince has collets too that just may fit on the stub of shaft left so that I can prop down & go direct drive.
Whatcha think?

Jimmy
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:39 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer

what did you think about the 2s or 3s lipo for the T1? Leaving the can in there would be the cheapest way vs getting another motor & going with just a 2s. not sure what I'm going to do. Vince has collets too that just may fit on the stub of shaft left so that I can prop down & go direct drive.
Whatcha think?

Jimmy
First the difference between 2s(2 cells) and 3s(3 cells). One is 7.4V and the other is 11.1V. That means you will get more RPM's out of your current set up. That is what made the difference yesterday.

My suggestion would be that you not put too much into your T1, as you will be progressing past it relatively fast. Getting a 3s battery and charger will do the job for the T1, and support your growth in the hobby.

The alternative is to get another motor for the T1 and that means a brushless ESC as well, and you will still need a lipo battery and charger as well.

The bottom line is that it will cost significantly more to put a brushless in the T1 than you may be willing to commit. You did not say whether you have an ESC for that BW motor yet, and that could be a factor in this decision also.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:07 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
Ken, actually I do hace brushless esc's. the mag 8 that you had mentioned is already hooked up to the BW in the BB and I also have a T-Bird 9 amp as well.
But I see what you mean with spending less on the T1 as I will move on as about as fast as the spending freeze allowance will allow. The BB is all but ready with hs 55's, the t pro 8 amp, BW, and Mike has an older style crystal set that should work in my other rx. Yup, 3s & charger is what I'll do for now. Then I'll be able to use that on the BB to. I will be getting maybe 1 lipo a month or so to get an inventory going and that will be the Mystery 2s's.
Also, this way I'll have the T Bird 9 amp esc for the next plane. I have the Tunigy cdr c 2822 1400 kv to go with the T Bird for the next plane after the BB.
Again, thx for keeping me straight man.
Jimmy
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,676 Posts
Jimmy,

I want to caution you an your BB24. The power system and servos along with a 3s battery are much better suited to a BB33. Your wing loading in the 24 will be on the heavy side. This will result in an aircraft that will fly fast and penetrate the wind easily, but have some nasty stall habits, and will break alot faster.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:32 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,676 Posts
Jimmy,

Since you have a couple of brushless ESC's, putting a brushless in the T1 would only cost about $15. That is a ELE C20 2500Kv motor, prop saver, prop (5x3 GWS HD), and connectors. Don has the motors for $10, a prop saver is $3, a prop is $1, and that leaves $1 for connectors. That might not be enough especially if your ESC needs the complimentary connectors as well. So chuck in a couple of more $.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
Clinton Twp., MI
Joined Oct 2007
30 Posts
Hey Jimmy,

I agree very much with Ken , and you should not change anything on your T1 at this time. You will move on to a new plane soon and the T1 will be a plane of your past. For now,with just a little more stick time you will be flying with ailerons. I thought you flew great and may even be ready for a aileron Trainer now. Take your time,enjoy,just ask if you need anything. see ya soon. Vince
rcdadx2 is offline Find More Posts by rcdadx2
Old Feb 18, 2009, 01:44 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
Thx for the words of wisdom guys.
Ken, actually I printed the BB33 plans for mine, but didnb't turn scaling off so its a 31. I wondered if the 3s would be a bit much.
I'm thinking this...
Leave T1 as is, get the E Sky charger $8.90 & 2s Mystery batt $7.42 from DE, and Rhino 3s 610 mah maybe? $8.39, (the 750 mah 3s is $12.57)

Looks like $25 to $30 will set me up for both planes for the time being incl'g connectors.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12856 E Sky charger from DE

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...110/240v_Input
Turnigy balancer charger with wall plug

still undecided which get.
And also may take Vince up on his offer for charger until I have the funds.

Only snag left would be wether or not Mike's crystals will work with my one other rx. It takes a slightly bigger crystal. It will probably work.
Mike, If those crystals work, I'll buy them off you as soon as I can.

Vince, I'll call ya about the motors we talked about.
Gotta hand the pc over to the wife for a bit as our desk top is not pulling up her schools work program. Time for daddy to get to the chores.
Thats another cost there. Our desk top needs tending real bad & may just get the Geek Squad instead of messign around with it.

still haven't figured out how to fix the Lottery...

Jimmy
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
what mah for 3s?

Hey Ken, what mah was that 3s we used on my T1 at the dome?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:21 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
Hey Ken, what mah was that 3s we used on my T1 at the dome?
700Mah 3s. I bought that battery for this aircraft initially. 27" wingspan, C20 2500Kv and HS-55 servos. This thing was like a rocket.

I know this is a foamie forum, but could'nt help myself. Would be a cool foamie project. Oops! I think I found something to build.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Feb 18, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
NON FOAM!?
Sacrilage!!!!!!
haha nice plane Ken.
Thx for the info on the battery.
Was just wondering as the Rhino 3s 610 mah is $8.39, and their 750 mah is $12.57.
The Zippy 3s is 800 mah at $9.32.
All are 20c.
Just day dreaming about what 3s I'll get for the T1.

Any suggestions?

Jimmy

Oh, and btw, I know what you mean about discovering another build project. I can't look at any plane I am interested in now w/o thinking how I would do it in FFF.
I want to do the Miss 2 or Senior Miss Stick.
Those classic old timers are one of my favorite styles of plane.
Actually, if I do break down and succumb to a non foam( please forgive me my sins ) , It'll probably be one of those.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,676 Posts
Jimmy,

I hear you on the old timers. Would love to do a Buzzard Bombshell in FFF.

Since you are sticking with the can motor and gear box on the T1, and it really likes to have some nose weight, you'd probably get the most bang for the buck with the Zippy 800.

Keep the home fires burning,
Ken
RCG Plus Member