HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:58 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Thx a ton for the words of wisdom man. This really does help. I'll be doing 1 more online purchasing spree and that should do it. Well, for now anyways. I have Gene's Stang waiting on deck and I won't rest until I have also built a profile Bipe for 3D. I can get the Electrify Bipe on the sim at the LHS to hover & knife edge, but wont be able to rest until I've tried it on my first scratch built! I'm thinking FT's Infineon or the Tiburon.

omg soo many planes, so little time!

I'm gonna go glue some foam.

Jimmy JFlyer, over & out.
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
ok so now I'm REALLY depressed!!!
Actually, I'm hitting the hey & have some good images to end the day with.
It just so happens that my next serious passion is WWII planes. Add to that micro size & there is my next crazy addiction. I am dying to build maybe a Spitfire, Jug, or even better yet, 1944 LA5! And Don, I will be needing that 5g motor for it once I'm ready, so I'll just preorder now!
I'm heading for the Prop Shop tomorrow to order a couple 31 crystal's since they don't have that chnl in stock. Hopefully I'll be up in the air soon. I got the bottom of the fuse & the Horizontal stab glued in just now.

Thx for the pics Ken!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 02:32 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2008
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
This is for Jimmy's benefit.

Ken
I enjoyed them too

Thank you very much for posting them!

Best wishes everyone, can't wait to get back (maybe in May or June).
TacoChuck is offline Find More Posts by TacoChuck
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:43 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
slow progress

Best Wishes to you too Taco! way out in Switzerland, yehaw.

I'll be brief & not write a book here. I dove into the living room (haven't cleared basement out yet for a workshop ) & threw some glue on the BB on the way to bed. This brought a question to mind. Since I am using hot glue, would it be ok to just "stitch weld" some areas to save weight? Or will that leave it too week? Did you guys glue all the way down the fuse?
Not sure if it will show in the pics, but I just tacked it in a few spots to hold it together & thought hmmmm... should I just leave it this way?

Ken, thinking back to what you said about heading over to Tony's thread, yeah that does seem like a good idea with these kinda questions. If I find time later today I'll drop a post in there. Heading out to the office on my day off.

It's killing me just getting small spurts of time to get on this build. I can't wait for a week off in Feb!!!

Jimmy
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
yehaw! my 3 hs 55's showed up

FINALLY. and I had just sent him a pm asking whats up. What kills me though, is I didn't even know there was a Hobby City when I bought these.
Hope they work ok. They look like they have been around the block a few times.

Jimmy
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:48 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Barring any problems Jimmy, the HS-55 servos area excellent for parkflyer type models. They will work well in a 42" BB or Sea BB as well. Better than the HC servos.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Ken, do you think they would be too heavy for the 33" BB? Actually, it's more like 30.5". I just printed Tony's tiles as is & thats how big it came out to be. I'm assuming they'll be ok. Of course, we all know where assumptions can get us.

I have those now and 3 3.6g servos. (no name) I will also be building Gene's profile Stang AET. I wanted to try that out as my first aileron. The Stang is about 29"ws.
I need servos for the wifes Wattage Lite Stick also so I will be putting in a HC order for some HXT 500's or 900's. Yes, cheap I know. But that is the only way I can swing it atm.

so, 30"BB......29" flat Stang......7oz Lite Stik.

Any suggestions?

Jimmy
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:19 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Jimmy,

They are not too heavy for the Blu-Baby 33. The HS-55's used to be the micro servo. Equipment has come a long way since there introduction. A super reliable light weight (9g) piece of hardware.

Incidently, when you printed your drawings did you have "page scaling" set to "none" in the print dialog? It should have come out to 33" wingspan. Again, if you did not, don't panic. Just build as it is. It is just scaled down slightly.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:29 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
This stinks.... I can't concentrate on work now worth a poop!
I'm not getting anything done.
I'm dying to mess with my new toys!!!
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:43 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
hey guys, check this out,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993643

looking for some quick opinions!

Got my radio gear up & running last night & want to do something real quick if possible.
Jimmy
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
motors motors motors

Thx for the reply over on my other thread guys. Just so happens that the wheels on GPW's trainer are the same ones I bought today.... hrmmm.

ok I'll try to be brief, as if thats possible for me.
GPW's trainer is sweet. Probably try cuttin it out as soon as I'm done here.
But I also like this other plane I saw in back issue of Quietflyer. It's a 34" P-51 modded for 3D trainer flight made from FFF. I actually scanned the page that had the 2x2 plan in the corner & started hitting the enlarge button. Actually printed out my first tiled plans. And believe you me, I did it the Hokey Poo way too. But I got the end result I wanted. Turned out to be 30" ws. I'm dying to build it. Pics to follow.
Also pics of the motors I have at my disposal. 3 bl's, 3 brushed.
Blue Wonder 24g 1300 kv, GWS 004 / 22/15 12t, Turnigy cdr 2822 1400
Don, recognize the mnt on the BW?
Brushed motors I'm not totally sure of.
Promax 400 7.2 - 8.4v, GWS EM400 (heavy sucker that one) and smaller on I am not sure of. And of course the IPS from the Lite Stick. Oh and there's the wheels I mentioned.
Was thinking about doing the Trainer1 with the IPS and an APC 7x4 prop. Unfortunately I have to use a 6 cell nicd. Haven't gotten my Lipo's yet.
Or I might just get the Lite Stick together.
Now that I finally got the electrics figured out & working I GOTTA FLY SOMETHIN!!! Don't want to rush the BB.
Whatcha guys think?
I'm gonna go cut foam!
Jimmy
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:11 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
um.... small snag. This is a pusher. Ok so here is something I know squat about. Can I operate the plane by just changing things around, such as reverse the wires like you can a bl? or, and please go easy on me if this is a stuuuupid suggestion, but, flip the prop over?
Wow, I feel like such a simpleton.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 09:56 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Brushless motors have three wires that go to the ESC. Connect them any way you want. If the motor turns the wrong direction just switch any two wires. It's that easy!

GWS props always have the lettering facing the direction of flight.

So, yes! for a pusher you change the motors direction of rotation (by switching two wires) and "flip the prop" so the lettering is facing the motor.

I'd be using the two lighter BL motors and forget about the brushed motors. Put the BW (the one with that great F/W mount) in the BB, and the gold one on the second plane.

For starters I strongly recommend you fly a Rudder, Elevator, Throttle trainer type plane. High wing with dihedral or polyhedral. You will have plenty of time to learn alerion's later.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Last edited by bz1mcr; Feb 01, 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 11:13 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Brushed motors have three wires that go to the ESC. Connect them any way you want. If the motor turns the wrong direction just switch any two wires. It's that easy!

GWS props always have the lettering facing the direction of flight.

So, yes! for a pusher you change the motors direction of rotation (by switching two wires) and "flip the prop" so the lettering is facing the motor.

I'd be using the two lighter BL motors and forget about the brushed motors. Put the BW (the one with that great F/W mount) in the BB, and the gold one on the second plane.

For starters I strongly recommend you fly a Rudder, Elevator, Throttle trainer type plane. High wing with dihedral or polyhedral. You will have plenty of time to learn alerion's later.
I think you meant BRUSHLESS motors not brushed (above).
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member