HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:07 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
learning a new plane sure is fun...

Threw the BA with rebuilt control horns & the 6x5.5 APC again on the way home from work. Stopped off at the soccer fields (yes, fields as in plural, this place is HUGE!) I launched her again. Gotta really FLY that one while using the old school mechanical TX. The right thumb barely moves & this plane scoots all over the sky.
Don... some time I would like to fly ours together & play some follow the leader. Just to see if I can hang.
Mike... did you get your BA built yet?

While I had the BA in the air, an suv pulled up with a couple in their late 40's or so. The guy was just amazed. He saw the BA ripping back & forth while driving down Clinton Rvr Rd & couldn't resist stopping & saying HI. He wants to go to RCG, look us up, & start flying lol. Once I showed him what the BA actually was made of, he about pooped himself. I then threw the xtal in the T1 & ROG'd & did a bunch of touch & go's & his wife had to pry him away.

That was fun.
Gonna fly that BA at Meadowbrook agin in the morning & work on getting used to her some more.

Nitey nite fella's, gonna go draw up some fuse pieces for the Mudbug then hit the sack.
TTFN
Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:13 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,644 Posts
Water kills ESC's

Second day of flat water at Houghton Lake. Air was just magnificant! My flying well--getting better. Unfortunately, I landed the SeaBB34 upside down. After recovery servos were working fine but motor just wiggled without starting. On third attempt, SMOKE followed by very quick battery disconnec. (I had the plug exposed, because I new it was risky trying to start a wet motor and possibly wet ESC. Let it dry over night. Next day motor started right up on the first test throttle blip. OK, maybe I escaped after all. Second startup and advance throttle to about 1/2 but power was noticeably low--quick throttle down. SMOKE---ESC is toast.

Later the same day, I was flying my FROG for about the tenth time (really) and it was just before sunset. I landed near the Dock taxied over and picked it up. Walking back to my setup table, I hear and feel the mottor pulsing weakly. I check the thrttle stick to be sure it was not bumped. It is full off. Then as I am removing the masking tape I put around the battery access, I hear a faint sizzle and open the hatch to see SMOKE! I quickly disconnected the battery,but it was too late. Water in the bottom of the plane had wet the end of the ESC and it's toast! I have flown that plane for 4 summers and it has had water in it many times. I have recovered it floating on it's back a few times and just turned it over and started flying again.

I don't understand what fresh lake water does to ESC's, but I know it can cause them to smoke a FET! Live and learn.
Don
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:28 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Bummer Don!

Two in one.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Sorry to hear about the esc's Don.
At least it's good to hear alot of us taking advantage of this perfect flying weather.
I gave the BA another toss after work. She flies wonderfully now. Still has issues though. But most I can live with.
even with trim all the way right, she wants to roll left so flying is constant pressure on the rt stick. I can probably work it out with the pushrod & will give it a try tonight. She flex's alot too. GPW mentioned he has a skewer between the lower rails. I will do that as well.
She still doesn't move out like others I have seen but it is plenty fast for my elevon newb fingers. I actually am starting to kick around doing an F22 after a bit more elevon stick time. Either that or a stiffer 80% BA with the same gear. We'll see.

Flew the T1 as well & she looped for the first time!
Never thought I would try it with all the horror stories of wings popping off. I actually have alot of strength with 3 skewers per side though & heavy hot glue joints at the poly tips.
I was getting a bit rambunctious with stall turns & a couple times ended up inverted for a few sec's. Thought... hmmmmm maybe if I go way up High & just ease out no throttle once over the top... That 1300 BW on 3s Just cranked her over less than WOT & had to let off pretty fast as she was already over the top & I didn't even notice any wing flex!

T&G's, landing practice, low super duper slow 1/8th throttle fly-by's... Yup, the T1 has retaken it's rightful place as my favorite plane. But I am ready for a full fuse scale trainer & watching Kens OK Special sealed the deal. Plans printed & will start on that one once I get the Mudbug done.

Hope everyone else had a great night of flying too!!!

TTFN
Jimmy
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:07 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
Summer is winding down..

Fellas,
we had our Sept Midwest R/C meeting tonight in Salem Township & the weather couldn't have been better.All the electric scratch-foam builders showed up with their latest project & we had a lotta fun.The Blu-Babys..along with the Fast & Furious design seems to be (suddenly..?) popular...& it proved to be a night of many flights and crazy fun.We had two heats of e-combat with the F&F planes....about five of us got into a twist & turning maze of trying to cut each others streamer off.Somehow..my plane survived this furball & I landed with full streamer intact.!! Daves' F&F wasn't so lucky..he tangled with another plane & suffered fuse damage.No trophys or awards...just some good cheap clean fun for all who participated.Maybe next time we'll get video,but Denny did manage to take a few pics of the planes before the match & two taken during the moment of launch.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Last edited by SKYPILEIT; Sep 02, 2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:31 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,933 Posts
Sky: sounds like a great time! Aint it funny when you get to the end of a great session and realize no one had time to take any pics as all hands were on the sticks? Can't do that with the slimers, I'd expect - one guy up at a time?
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:47 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,933 Posts
Yesterday I turned the hanger into a motor repair depot. Hadn't originally planned that, but wasn't satisfied with the three blade props on the P40. They all flew her, but didn seem to have the punch. Was wondering if i'd overpropped the 2822motor. So swapped out the bm2410-09 from the Mooney. She pulled ok, but I confirmed I need more rpms. But Don may remember the wierd sounds that motor was making last Wed. So I took a good look at it when out, found the aft bearing was trashed. Fortunately I had another 6mm bearing, so plugged in a new shaft and aft bearing. Front wasn't perfect, but didn't rattle too bad, and it's a 7mm which I don't have spares of. Back on and flew a bit, still too slow. So, Looked at the 2812 I'd originally had on it. Discovered that there was NO end play in it, and suspected that as why it pulled so many amps 250 watts and 25amps - more than any esc I have! The front bearing on it was a little noisy, so while I'm trying to get the shaft positioned right, replaced the bearing. Got em all back together and Shazam! WOT with the 1060x3 was only 14amps and about 140watts. Flew two packs this morning and she's still not as fast as I'd like, but definitely perkier than before. 2410-09 goes back on the Mite. It pulls her around just fine.

Got landing gear on the '40 and have been perfecting my takeoffs and landings, well, perfecting may not be the right term.......
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2009, 10:50 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,933 Posts
Don: bummer on the speed controls. We have been having our trials haven't we? Losing props, batteries, toasting esc's. Funny how one can go for months with no probs then all of a sudden, they gang up on you?

I assume noone will be at Callaways tomorrow, right? (knowing don's up north). Anything going on Fri pm or Sat?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:21 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Fri Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I assume noone will be at Callaways tomorrow, right? (knowing don's up north). Anything going on Fri pm or Sat?
I wish I could meet ya at Callaways. With the way work has been going, I'm unavailable during weekdays. My hours are 7:30 am until 6 pm which all week has been 7 pm or later. The rush home to get my Bailey fix before she crashes out. I have just been flying a little in the mornings & on the way home. That field at Schoenherr & Clinton River Rd is another real nice HUGE spot. There are no Trespassing signs tho. But that doesn't seem to stop the locals. Today, there was a young couple trying to fly a kite in the dead calm who eventually gave up & just settled in to watch me & the BA-T1 combo.
Last week there was a father son team there launching rockets.
I'd say a couple peeps with electric planes could probably get away with it as long as it wasn't all the time.

Mike... I already secured Fri night as a build night & the wifey is doing a tv night. Maybe we could meet after I leave work? Definitely a no go for me on Sat or Sun though. Too much RL to tend to.

Yup, just cleared it with the boss. I am good to meet anywhere after work. Fri is the only day they actually close the gates at 6 pm so I will be gtg after that. Figure we could get some good flying in until it gets dark.
Whatcha think?

Fella's??? Friday Night Flight?
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:47 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,644 Posts
Vids from Houghton Lake

SeaBB Video

Frog Takeoffs and Landings

Just to show loosing the ESC's has not ruined the fun!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Sep 03, 2009, 07:53 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,933 Posts
I'm ok with Fri right now, (social director hasn't committed me. . ..yet). Stony is better in the pm, not looking into the sun, or out here, 50 acres of wheat stubble softened by foot tall weeds. Any time works for me.

gotta schedule a trip to the Library to see the upnorth vids!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2009, 11:21 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,161 Posts
The mosquitos are actually worse this week. I was working on a maiden of my new F-15 and they were majorly swarming!

I am up for some flying this weekend for sure.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Sep 03, 2009, 02:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Only time I am available is Fri after work.
Ya'll let me know if anyone can hook up then, anywhere is good for me.
TTFN, back to work
Jimmy
Old Sep 03, 2009, 02:49 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Sky: sounds like a great time! Aint it funny when you get to the end of a great session and realize no one had time to take any pics as all hands were on the sticks?
yeah..the e-combat thing is waay more fun than I thought it was gonna be...it's amazing that there was only one mid-air with all those planes swooping about,I dove thru the formation a few times in pursuit of an opponent..& I heard my wing tick with another plane...no damage though.

Maybe someone in your group could be appointed pic-man,we'd all like to see your projects & tie a face to the RCG username.We did take a frontal pic of pilots with their combat planes before we took off,but for some reason it was blurred.Oh well...next time we're gonna get vid & upload to YouTube for all to enjoy.

SGTalon,we were assaulted by the misquitos also last night,then I remembered I had a pack of Deep Woods Towelettes in my car.I cut 'em in half,and two people can apply this strong misquito repellant.This stuff works real well,not a bug bite the remainder of the night.!
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Sep 03, 2009, 09:29 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Hey Jim, was there a thread on those fast & furious builds? You probably already mentioned it but no time for me to search right now.